GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 05:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best advice for complete newbie!  (Read 1252 times)
Chadster73
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 03, 2012, 08:15 PM »

Hi guys... great forum here! Well, I've only been in this hobby now for 3 days.  Day one went on bought an HQ-Flame, Day 2 went and flew it a little.  Day 3 realized I needed a UL kite, so I went and bought a Prism 4-D and the prism DVD freestyle pilot.  Don't know if I'm off to a good start yet, but knowing what you all know, what recommendations would anyone here have for a newbie like me?
  Anyone here from the general Salt Lake City-Utah area?  I'd like to meet up at Point of the Mountain if anyone is interested?  Thanks in Advance! -Chadster73!
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49 PM »

http://www.utahkitefliers.org/   https://plus.google.com/117745015141015780465/posts
we are going to be at thanksgiving point this sat
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:53 PM by PUZZLE » Logged

Chadster73

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:27 PM »

Sweet, you guys have a time yet?
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:34 AM »

Make sure to put the Antelope Island event on your calendar.

PUZZLE

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:26 PM »

I havent heard back from todd, but i would guess 11am is start of events

Chadster73

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:54 PM »

went out and flew the 4-D for the first time today...  wow!  What a difference between that and that HQ-Beepop Flame!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:46 AM »

Sweet, you guys have a time yet?
The event is from 10am until 3pm. Winds look to be pretty good, around 6mph. Link to the map where we will be flying:

http://www.utahkitefliers.org/map.pdf

Just let the people at the gate know you are with the Utah Kite Fliers. If you need anything my phone number is 801-810-8633.

There is also the Brigham City Sights and Sounds fly on 4/14 and then a kite festival in Idaho Falls (Kiting Just for Fun) on 4/28. Both the Thanksgiving Point and the Brigham City flies are small. The Idaho Falls event will be much bigger and has a larger flying area this year.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Chadster73

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 09:29 AM »

What do you guys think about the Prism 4-D as a starter kite?  So far I really like it, although I've only taken it out once.  You all here have been doing this alot longer than I have...
Texanpilot

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 03:47 PM »

If you're enjoying it, then the discussion is basically over.   Grin

It might generally be considered a bit twitchy since it's a bit smaller than most stunt kites, but if you're having fun with it, then it's a great starting point. 

You certainly won't outgrow it any time soon (if ever). 

Steady winds, y'all.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 04:00 PM »

++1

Whatever works for you.  It is a kite that easily takes to the air which is good.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen new flyers struggling with a lead balloon that needs 8-10 mph of wind to fly when they only have 6.

Have fun!

When you are ready for a bigger kite, I always recommend the BMK Exile - flys extremely well and also does tricks readily enough to be fun.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 05:48 PM »

That Thanksgiving Point deal is from 10am to 3pm.  The UKF page on yahoo says to just tell the folks at the gate you're flying with UKF and they will let you in.  Hope to see you all there!

Scott Madsen
Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 05:53 PM »

Doh!  Sorry, all that last stuff was already here, should have checked more closely.

Scott Madsen
Chadster73

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 08:35 PM »

My son Swade and I had a really great time at the Eggstream event today.  Thanks Tod, Steve and Scott for all your help and all the info.  You all have some very nice kites... Scott love that WidowMaker, sorry if I left any drool stains on it! Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography