GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 02:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff - out of the attic, some questions!  (Read 3448 times)
Andyk
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 07, 2012, 06:38 PM »

Hey-

My first post!

I have my TOTL Spinoff that I bought back in '88. It was flown for a few years on weekends, then, put away in it's bag for about 15 years.

I want to buy new lines so I can teach the kids how to fly, but have a few questions.

First, I forgot what strength lines I should use for the Spinoff? 150? 200?
My kite also has swivels, which I have heard are not used much today. How can I get the bridal to accept a larks head from new lines?

Finally, how long should my new lines be? I think I have 100 ft lines I bought in '88.

Thanks!
Andy

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:41 AM »

Make two pigtails out of about 4" of bridle line for each pigtail. Make an overhand knot at each end of the pigtails. Use a lighter to melt the ends when you cut them and tap the warm ends to flare them a little. That will prevent the knot from slipping loose and stop fraying. Attach the bridles to one end of the pigtails just like they were on the bottom end of the swivel and snug them up against the knot. Larkshead the flyinge flying lines to the other knots on each pigtail.

Flying lines 100' x 150# should handle most flying conditions and higher winds. You may get by with 90# lines if you don't fly in high winds. Line length depends on the room you have at your flying field. Anything from 80' to 120' will work, with the longer the line the larger the wind window to fly in. There are topics on line brands. Shanti, Laser Pro, and a few others brands seem to be popular. It all boils down to personal preference. Call Steve if you want expert guidance.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:39 AM »

Perfect advice above. Looking at Steve's selection of lines I see he has some 80' X 150lb lines at $20, that would be a decent set for your Spinoff for an excellent price. We flew them on longer back in the 80's, the packaged lines we bought were 150' but the Spinoff will function fine on 80' and won't take up the whole park if you're flying in a crowded area.

As mentioned 90 lb will be fine in lower winds, I think TOTL recomended 150 lb originally but we flew those kites in higher winds most of the time since the Team Model didn't get in the air under 7mph. The 150 lbs above will be lighter then we used in the 80's and be suitable for all conditions.

Ask Steve if he'll toss in a bit of bridle line to make those pigtails, I'm sure he has the perfect line in stock for them, a foot will do. Alternately you could order extra bridle line and make some 8-10 foot leaders if you think 80' lines might constrain the Spinoff, I don't think they will though, I've flow the Team Kite on 50 footers and it turns way slower.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:43 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:47 AM »

I replaced the swivels on my Spinoff, using a prusik knot. Here are some photos. .

Andyk

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:02 AM »

Great advice, thanks guys! I'm ordering some Prism 85' 150# line, which should be great. I'll request a foot of bridal line to make new pigtails as suggested.

Not sure how to remove the swivel off the bridal, and use a pigtail in it's place -do I need two knots on the pigtail, or can I lump both ends of the bridal onto one? Are there any visual aids for the pigtail-challenged like me?

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 03:14 PM »

You will use the U-Prusic knot to attach pigtail to bridle. This is a VERY EASY knot to tie.
Check out Kite Flier's knot gallery http://gamma.nic.fi/~sos/knots.htm

There are two lines for each wing. The line that runs fron the lower spreader is just looped and easy to remove.  Smiley

The 2nd line runs from the upper spreader to the center T. That will need to untie one end. You can then remove the swivel and re-tie to the same position.

Use the U-Prusic knot to tie the pigtail to the bridle line, at the red bridle mark. Now slip on the lower spreader line to pigtail. It will look like the picture I posted before. Now you are ready to fly.  Cool

Andyk

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 03:21 PM »

You will use the U-Prusic knot to attach pigtail to bridle. This is a VERY EASY knot to tie.
Check out Kite Flier's knot gallery http://gamma.nic.fi/~sos/knots.htm

There are two lines for each wing. The line that runs fron the lower spreader is just looped and easy to remove.  Smiley

The 2nd line runs from the upper spreader to the center T. That will need to untie one end. You can then remove the swivel and re-tie to the same position.

Use the U-Prusic knot to tie the pigtail to the bridle line, at the red bridle mark. Now slip on the lower spreader line to pigtail. It will look like the picture I posted before. Now you are ready to fly.  Cool

Uhhh, can I just use new swivels on my new lines - and leave well enough alone? Seems pretty confusing to do the above and get it perfect the first time!  Huh

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 03:31 PM »

Uhhh, can I just use new swivels on my new lines - and leave well enough alone? Seems pretty confusing to do the above and get it perfect the first time!  Huh

You bet.    Smiley
Sorry for the confusing. I thought you wanted to remove the swivels.  Huh
You can either larks head the flying line directly to the swivels or use the pigtails between the flying line and swivels so that becomes the line that wears out.

Andyk

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 05:35 PM »

You bet.    Smiley
Sorry for the confusing. I thought you wanted to remove the swivels.  Huh
You can either larks head the flying line directly to the swivels or use the pigtails between the flying line and swivels so that becomes the line that wears out.

Don't worry, your instructions aren't confusing, it's my inability to follow them that caused my confusion!

So I can put pigtails on the line end of the kite swivel in my photo, then larks head the line to the other end of the pigtail?
Wayner

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36 PM »

So I can put pigtails on the line end of the kite swivel in my photo, then larks head the line to the other end of the pigtail?

You got it.  Smiley

Keep us posted on how the kids do. We want to hook them on kites for life.  Smiley
Andyk

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 04:04 AM »

You got it.  Smiley

Keep us posted on how the kids do. We want to hook them on kites for life.  Smiley

Will do! My kids are 7 and 9, and seem to like anything I like, so getting them into kites should be easy, especially challenging hard-pulling stunt kites!

And thanks for that handy knot gallery site link!
captmike

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 02:14 PM »

Hey-

My first post!

I have my TOTL Spinoff that I bought back in '88. It was flown for a few years on weekends, then, put away in it's bag for about 15 years.

I want to buy new lines so I can teach the kids how to fly, but have a few questions.

First, I forgot what strength lines I should use for the Spinoff? 150? 200?
My kite also has swivels, which I have heard are not used much today. How can I get the bridal to accept a larks head from new lines?

Finally, how long should my new lines be? I think I have 100 ft lines I bought in '88.

Thanks!
Andy

I know that this is a very old topic but to answer some of your questions:

The average length of line for stunt kites are 100 feet

My SpinOff bridle also has swivels but without the clips that are shown in your great pictures.  I called and talked to a  supervisor that has been at the company for over 25 years (800-541-0314). She is very familiar with the SpinOff and looked it up in her data base and her information showed that it called for 100 lb line.  I purchased the "Speed Set" line/winder combo in the 100 foot/200 lb option and the line is sleeved at both ends.  She stated that the 200 lb line would be fine.  I also asked her about my idea of attaching the line to the eyelets in the swivel just using a Larks Knot and she stated that was fine also.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 06:12 PM »

She stated that the 200 lb line would be fine. 

I agree that 150# to 200#, was the normal selection (back in the day), but new lines are so-o-o much better than in the 80/90's. I feel that some fliers use line much heaver than needed. I tend to go lite, I fly most of my stacks on 150# or less. I do have a set of 200# and 250#  but have yet to open the package(s). I am of the thought that I would rather break a line than a 30 year old kite.

I could not tell from the photo if the kite has standoffs (whiskers), if not the kite has a tendency to slip at the edges of the window.

All of my TOTL kites have their original connectors, since I use sleeved ends I attach directly to the clips

imho

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

captmike

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 05:54 PM »

She stated that the 200 lb line would be fine. 

I agree that 150# to 200#, was the normal selection (back in the day), but new lines are so-o-o much better than in the 80/90's. I feel that some fliers use line much heaver than needed. I tend to go lite, I fly most of my stacks on 150# or less. I do have a set of 200# and 250#  but have yet to open the package(s). I am of the thought that I would rather break a line than a 30 year old kite.

I could not tell from the photo if the kite has standoffs (whiskers), if not the kite has a tendency to slip at the edges of the window.

All of my TOTL kites have their original connectors, since I use sleeved ends I attach directly to the clips

imho

Do you have a method of adding/attaching standoff's to the TOTL Spin-Off?

Also do you know of any video that shows a tutorial of converting/removing the original swivel attach point for the bridal to that of just using a pigtail?
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 08:02 PM »

Like Mike said, I also just attach my sleeved linesets to the swivel clips on my Spinoff and Hawaiian. Never had a problem, and I fly them so little, it's not worth my time to re-engineer what worked back in the day...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change