GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 06:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff - out of the attic, some questions!  (Read 3023 times)
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 07:05 AM »

Whiskers for the spin-off are 3/32 fiberglass 9" long

the method for attaching, get some clear vinyl tubing, large enough to drill a hole the size of your spars

Slide one on each of the lower spreaders, attach another to the end of the inner sail spar (batten)

you can kinda see them in this photo

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 11:00 AM »

Kitekings instructions above are perfect for the TOTL Team kite as pictured, but the Spinoff will need you to sew a standoff attachment points to the sail since it doesn't have those inner battens. A bit of the 3 oz leading edge tape, cut either a full circle which would be folded in half and sew over the trailing edge or a half circle applied to only one side of the sail. Then melt a small hole through those to use any of the modern standoff to sail connectors. I don't have a stock sail with standoffs and just guesstimated mine (worked great IMO), I'm sure somebody here can give you the factory position.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
captmike

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 05:31 PM »

After a hard nose dive into the ground, I now need to replace 1 original leading edge spar which looks like it has a internal ferrule and is 2 32.5" pieces and 5/16" (.313) diameter. There is only one shop that I have found that has a 1 piece spar as a replacement for that TOTL Spinoff. The question is:

Does it matter if I replace that spar with a 2 piece rod or should I go with the 1 piece 65" rod?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:12 PM by captmike » Logged
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 08:05 PM »

sorry about your nose dive.

You want to replace it with two 32.5" fiberglass rods and a ferrule to connect them together.  You will be as good as new  Grin
captmike

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 09:13 PM »

sorry about your nose dive.

You want to replace it with two 32.5" fiberglass rods and a ferrule to connect them together.  You will be as good as new  Grin

After a hard nose dive into the ground, I now need to replace 1 original leading edge spar which looks like it has a internal ferrule and is 2 32.5" pieces and 5/16" (.313) diameter. There is only one shop that I have found that has a 1 piece spar as a replacement for that TOTL Spinoff. The question is:

Does it matter if I replace that spar with a 2 piece rod or should I go with the 1 piece 65" rod?

Also, I was told that those are Carbon rods
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:20 PM by captmike » Logged
captmike

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 09:17 PM »

Like Mike said, I also just attach my sleeved linesets to the swivel clips on my Spinoff and Hawaiian. Never had a problem, and I fly them so little, it's not worth my time to re-engineer what worked back in the day...

Yeah, I went to a fishing store and purchased a 200 lb test swivel which is the same as they are selling in an online kite shop.  I just attached the line to that and clip in on and off of the swivels on the harness.  Works great........until the nose dive as mentioned below.
Wayner

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 12:49 PM »

5/16" (.313) diameter sounds large for carbon rods. Maybe someone else can jump in.

I can check my spinoff tomorrow to verify it tubing size. Mine is a late model with carbon rods and stands offs.

Long rods did not exist back in the day and 32.5 was standard.

I guess one rod would work. Check on shipping I think this requires a higher shipping cost and may cost you more.

captmike

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 03:51 PM »

5/16" (.313) diameter sounds large for carbon rods. Maybe someone else can jump in.

I can check my spinoff tomorrow to verify it tubing size. Mine is a late model with carbon rods and stands offs.

Long rods did not exist back in the day and 32.5 was standard.

I guess one rod would work. Check on shipping I think this requires a higher shipping cost and may cost you more.

Thanks for jumping in...

Yes the size is .313 for the spars and the owner of The Kite Shoppe stated that they are a carbon/fiberglass material for that year of manufacture of my TOTL Spinoff.  Ordered the top half's (32.5") with the internal ferrules attached.

In the mean time I was able to dissect my original ones and found that they did not actually break.  Due to the hard nose in, the glue that held the internal ferrule(s) in place came loose and the impact caused the ferrule to be pushed up into the top half of the spar.  I was able to retrieve the hidden ferrule from within the spar.   So at first I thought the spar broke.  So all I will do now is re-glue each ferrule back into the top half of the spars then reattach  the bottom half of the spar to it and put them back into the sail.  Will use the new order as a back-up
Wayner

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 08:25 PM »

Had the internal ferrule glue break before, always looks kite the spar break.

Glad it was a simple fix and you are flying again. 

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 04:42 AM »

you do need to make sure that when the glue slipped on the ferrule that when the ferrule moved that did not crack the end of the female  part of the connection...if the ferrule is not all the way into the other rod it could put some different forces on the rod....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document