GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: best inland kite to buy ?  (Read 1620 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 12, 2012, 12:17 AM »

g,day all.
i live in land in vic Australia.
i currently have a prism 4d kite!
im a long way from the water and was wandering which stunt kite i should buy please that will suit these conditions such as stuff all wind,bumpy un ruly winds ?
i was considering a blue moon exile but they will not longer be made,then next choice was to may be get a skyburner widowmaker.
is there any other quality kite that i may be able to use in my conditions ?
should i go the liter frame/sail ultralite or standard to help ?
also remove top spreader ?
what strength and length lines as well ?
was thinking of a custom color like orange/black scheme.
thanks
glen
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:58 AM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:03 AM »

Your going to get a lot of responses! I'd go for a good standard with nice wind range.

Bumpy and unruly wind is managed more by skill than by which kite is better suited for it. The Widow Maker has a nice wind range with the adjustable upper outhauls. And it's really forgiving with it's trickiness. I flew a WM UL a few years ago but I think I like the standard better. If it was going to be one kite to buy, I'd get the standard.

The kite I fly the most (for no particular reason) is the Deep Space. That's another great, all-around kite too. It doesn't turtle as well as the Widow Maker though. Truth be told, I like the WM better for the tricks it can do.

I'm sure someone will say something about the Talons or one of Lam Hoac's kites but I've never flown any of those.

Linesets? Anywhere from 85' to 110', 90#. Longer lines give you more of the wind window to work with and room to recover from tricks gone bad.

Bob D.
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 04:54 AM »

I fly mostly in inland parks surrounded by trees and houses so my wind is variable and lumpy. The Exile is my favourite as it is very tolerant of those conditions so do keep your eyes peeled for a used one but my other favourite is the Deep Space; wide wind range, tolerant of turblulent conditions and will fly down to UL type winds with care, insanely trickable.

johnfarl

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:50 AM »

What I have found is UL or SUL which fly in low to very low winds are the most enjoyable inland.  I live on the east side of the Rockies and our best wind is no wind.  When we tend to get winds close to 10 or above they get very gusty and variable in direction.  Makes it very hard to fly.  Best to fly dual line in lower winds where they are more manageable.  For high winds I pull out vented or mid vented revs.

For dual line I fly Lam Hoac Fearless because they do tend to have wider ranges and less messing around with adjustments.
kite_pilot

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11 PM »

hi there guys
great,thanks alot for your help,advice and reply!
cheers  Smiley

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Patchouli
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:29 PM »

Talon UL tricky and fast!

"If you do not live what you believe, you will end up believing what you live"
Gamelord

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 12:35 PM »

The Widowmaker UL is awesome.  You will not regret it at all.  I have one in my A bag at all times and love it.

harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 03:24 PM »

I reckon the TNT comp or a vortex with p2x leading edges. They both fly almost as low as an ul but don't have too much sail so they are trickable in 15mph plus winds! The first one has 3pt leading edges that work surprisingly well. I fly on 70kg lines 10-25m long depending on the wind Cool
kite_pilot

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 03:40 AM »

thanks again for more replies!
so the widowmaker will still fly ok in lite winds with out much trouble and effort then,cool!
so should i go ultra or super ultra then ?
these bloody inland winds with trees,houses on ovals is truley hopeless at times!
i just want to be able to fly at all times(sounds silly)!
is there much difference between bm exile and the widowmaker as far as keeping it in the air in crap wind conditions ?
you know the thing about sport stunt kites,its a great hobby,not much to them to set up,not alot of out lay $$$ wise and its not some thing you have to fix,repair/modify all the time unlike other hobbies such as mechanical hobbies e.c.t
cheers
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:01 AM by kite_pilot » Logged

Bob D

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40 AM »

SULs are too flexi and much harder to trick. If you want to fly in low wind, you're better off with a UL. The downside is that they are harder to trick when the wind picks up. I still think a standard with a nice wind range is the way to go. When the wind is too low, get out a no wind kite (like the Emong) that my kids are giving me for Father's Day. Or the Prism 4D! 

Bob D.
Gamelord

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 02:30 PM »

The Widowmaker is only available in UL or Standard - no SUL.  The UL can fly down to 1.5 - 2 mph winds though (with a bit of work), so an SUL really isn't necessary.

boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 04:18 PM »

Mojo UL
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 01:45 PM »

Talon UL tricky and fast!

^ this.
But i'm biased.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 01:51 PM »

thanks again for more replies!
so the widowmaker will still fly ok in lite winds with out much trouble and effort then,cool!
so should i go ultra or super ultra then ?
these bloody inland winds with trees,houses on ovals is truley hopeless at times!
i just want to be able to fly at all times(sounds silly)!
is there much difference between bm exile and the widowmaker as far as keeping it in the air in crap wind conditions ?
you know the thing about sport stunt kites,its a great hobby,not much to them to set up,not alot of out lay $$$ wise and its not some thing you have to fix,repair/modify all the time unlike other hobbies such as mechanical hobbies e.c.t
cheers

Look around for a spot with a lil higher elevation - away from trees and houses - think football field size open area.
The best/lightest trickable kites in the world will still have trouble staying in the air with very turbulent/variable/multi-directional wind.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum