GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 12:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ringleschlange or Ring Snake line laundry - how to store it so it doesn't tangle  (Read 1294 times)
SEHertenstein
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 17, 2012, 07:02 PM »

I'd like to know how to pack, store, and unpack my ringleschlange or ring snake line laundry.
Currently to store my ringleschlange I:
1.  Straighten it out in my living room
2.  Untangle the bridle lines
3.  Carefully roll the fabric like a tubular tail you don't want to wrinkle
4.  Secure it with a stretchy hair tie
5.  Slide the bridle into an old tubular tail
6.  Carefully put it in the storage bag.

When I take my ringleschlange onto the flying field I:
1.  Slide the tubular tail off the bridle line
2.  Attach the bridle lines to the main kite line, making sure it does not cross the kite line.
3.  Carefully remove the hair ties and unroll the ringleschlange, making sure it does not cross the kite line.
4.  Launch the lifting kite, using a leather glove to assure the kite rises smoothly and doesn't tangle the ringleschlange.

I cannot make "daisy chain" loops in the bridle, and when someone did, they don't stop the fabric from getting tangled.
(Neither did simply slipping the bridle into a tubular tail.)

I welcome suggestions from other ringleschlange owners.

Scott Hertenstein
photomom
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Scott,

I've never rolled the fabric before putting it in the bag.  I run my hand down the bridle lines to hold them together until I get as close to the fabric as possible.  Then I knot them together.  After gathering the fabric together I simply stuff it into the bag.  I do daisy chain the bridle and then lay it atop the fabric so it will come out of the bag first.

After removing the daisy chain, I hook up the bridle and let the wind open the snake.  Haven't had a tangle yet.

kjm

boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:43 PM »

There may be some folks on the AKA Forum that may have a better idea. 
I'd ask folks that have circaflex rings and see how they store them.
You may also check with some of the Kite Maker Retreat folks too.  I'd check with the folks at the Oregon Kite Makers Retreat or the Fort Worden Kite Makers group.
I had to google Ringlechlange to get an image.  Nice looking kites.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Pretty much like photomom. We just hold the attachment point and run a hand down to the fabric to gather it together. A single slip knot there will do fine or you can do a full braid but the branching knots make it hard to undo. Then stuff the fabric into the sack and the bridle BUT NOT THE END! The secret is to attach the attachment point to the bags drawstring to keep it away from the rest of the lines and fabric. If the end of the line can't go through the lines or fabric you can't get a tangle. It's the same method used when you use a stuff sack for your flying lines, if the ends are kept seperate from the bunched line in the bag you can not get a knot

Pulling the bridle through a fabric tube like you are doing would be even cleaner so if that doesn't bother you keep doing it, pull the tube right up to the ring to gather the fabric and tie a slip knot to keep it gathered, stuff it in the sack and secure the bridle end to the drawstring.

We use the same method for any kite with multiple bridle lines, on Roks I just fold a bridle line over at the kite (there's a knot there for the loop) and larkshead the attachment point to it, I may or may not run a braid on the longer ones depending on how I feel, it won't tangle either way. On the inflatable kites the bridle attachment point stays outside the bag and gets clipped or larksheaded to the drawstring.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:35 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:06 AM »

you are doing it right!

I have a kite with a 30' cascading bridle....it has a bridle sleeve on it and I end up daisy chaining the sleeved bridle because it is so darn long.....because the sleeve is on a kite it makes it a little easier - when i go to fly it i just un-dasiy chain the sleeved bridle....larkshead the line on...and then slip the sleeve down onto the flying line.....it then works GREAT as a line marker....

Welcome to the forum Scott!
rob
(corgimas)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 04:46 PM »

I've given this considerable thought and I can guarantee you will never have another tangle if you use this method. Send it to be and let me store it and fly it. You can rest assured your tangles will never a a problem again.  Wink
SEHertenstein

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:45 AM »

Thanks for the advice, especially from photomom and mikenchico.
I'm familiar with "turtling" a sail into a bag with the attachment points sticking out, but
I keep so much line laundry in a big bag I'm not likely to leave the end of the ringleschlange bridle out of its bag.
I may start clipping the end of the bridle to the drawstring on the small bag that holds the ring snake.
As I said in my initial post, I can't make a good daisy chain.

I have no problem with tangles on my Rokkaku.  I wind the bridle tightly around the kite, then put the kite in a sleeve.

I AM NOT giving away my ring snake.

Scott Hertenstein
SEHertenstein

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 03:08 PM »

I changed the line I use to pull the ringleschlange bridle through the old tube tail that I use as a bridle sleeve.  I tied the ends of the cord together so the cord never comes out of the sleeve.  After you roll up the ringleschlange and secure it with an elastic band or velcro strap, clip the ringleschlange bridle to one of the loops and pull it through the sleeve.  Then make a loose knot in the sleeved bridle near the snake material and stuff everything into a bag.  https://picasaweb.google.com/SEHertenstein/RingleschlangeRingSnakeKiteLineLaundry#5757678556910505282 has a photo.
https://picasaweb.google.com/SEHertenstein/RingleschlangeRingSnakeKiteLineLaundry#5757678453760291666
shows the ringleschlange laid out so I could untangle the bridle lines.  I removed the cord that holds the bridle loops together, separated the bridle lines, then threaded the attachment cord through each bridle line in sequence.

Scott Hertenstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography