GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 03:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sewing On Batman  (Read 1395 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: April 17, 2012, 07:04 PM »

I have restrung a new leech line on the Batman kite as one of the old "leechies" broke.

The lovely Bambi tells me that she will need a special thread for the sewing machine

to stitch the keel end in place.

What is the correct sewing thread to buy for this one inch stitch?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57 PM »

What is the correct sewing thread to buy for this one inch stitch?
If you want, I can mail you some size 33 polyester thread to use (I also have 46 but you probably don't need something that heavy. I can just wind up a few yards and put it in an envelope.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 08:32 PM »

That's very thoughtful Todd.

I think we'll go get a spool, just to have.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 10:46 PM »

kent has a cone or two of the right kind of bonded polyester thread, but if you surmise his is more than you need i can bring you some, just let me know.

Fdeli
madhabitz

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:48 PM »

I know nothing about the thread used for kitemaking, but I do know that quality varies a great deal from brand to brand. A bargain spool of thread won't be much of a bargain if you have to struggle to use it or if it snaps apart with little effort. Conversely, I swear, some threads are so strong I think they could be used in a tractor pull.

I've always had really good experiences using Mettler brand thread. I know nothing about the company that the link below leads to. I only used it because this page has some good information about different threads in the Mettler line.

http://www.redrockthreads.com/mettler-thread/

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35 PM »

Love Mettler, can't get it anymore here except the cotton for quilting which you do not want for kites, cotton can mold & weaken if it gets wet and put away wet. Guttermann's was good back when I ran a fabric store and the sewing kites 101 article was written, but that was 20+ years ago, it's garbage now. Coats and Clark was garbage back then but todays poly wrapped poly is on par with the Mettler IMO. Of course you'll hear you need to use bonded thread, but then why were Blue Moon Kites built using Guttermann's and always voted the best quality kites?

Why would you need a special thread to sew the keel end in place? If you've had problems when sewing through the Dacron then you need to use the right needle, no thread out there will overcome using the wrong needle. If you are sewing through adhesive and having problems with skipped stitches and you have the right needle then use a thread luber, or just spray your spool with that silicon lube you bought to refurb your flying lines. If you don't want to soak a whole spool then wind a bobbin and spray it (they fit on top too for small jobs)

If you're using a standard thread then a 12 or 14 Sharp point needle will do, go for the 14 if sewing through heavy Dacron, I used to use Denim needles since they had a deeper groove and slightly thicker shank but they've changed the ones available locally to a multi-purpose point which isn't the Sharp point we need. If you go with a heavy duty thread or bonded 30 or 33 check with a sewing machine shop that does repairs and adjustments and ask the tech for a size recommendation, the clerk at Joannes will not necessarily be a good source.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:55 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 03:50 AM »

i have been using guttermans for years and like it....just got a bunch more this weekend......

the tension set on the machine might prove to be different than what she has her machine set at now......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 04:28 AM »

+1 for Guttermans

martijn

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 04:57 AM »

+2 for guttermann

indeed, when sewing through thick layers....replace the needle and pick a thicker one in stead of changing thread
i use size 60 for normal sewing and 80 when i do a nosejob or so...this are european sizes...don't know if that is the same in US
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:00 AM by martijn » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 07:43 AM »

Our needles now have Euro sizes as well as our old ones for us old timers, so those sizes should help John when he's standing there totally confused by all the numbers. I find the needle wall at our Joanne's quite intimidating especially when I've researched what I want and then no label matches. After the availble denim needles became ball point I went Googling but retail stores don't package with those fancy names, in fact you're lucky if you can find a pack of 12 sharps, you find packs of assorted sizes of multi purpose needles, that's about all we are offered at retailers today.

Gutterman's used to be great and our store wouldn't even stock Coats & Clark. Maybe you still get the Ger.man made stuff over there. I heard our is coming from Mexico now and is no longer continuous filament.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:52 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
nckiter

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 08:26 AM »

+++Gutterman 100% all purpose poly. Needles, Schmetz Microtex 12/80 for most work, 14/90 for heavier / thicker work.
Lee S

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:45 PM »

@SKB,

Are we not men? Why do something simply when elaborate and complex machinery can be involved?
madhabitz

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 12:43 AM »

@SKB,

Are we not men? Why do something simply when elaborate and complex machinery can be involved?

Or why do all of that when Duct Tape is available? ("are we not men?"  ::snort:Smiley

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:44 AM »

kent has a cone or two of the right kind of bonded polyester thread, but if you surmise his is more than you need i can bring you some, just let me know.

John,
Since I'm the one who broke the leech line  Cry  I would be glad to resew it.   Wink
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 11:47 AM »

I have restrung a new leech line on the Batman kite as one of the old "leechies" broke.

John, I will not make the kite fly tonight. My truck is in the shop (check engine light)

Let me know if you wnat me to fix your batman kite.

Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change