GWTW Forum
September 18, 2014, 02:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF is it with shipping  (Read 1678 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: April 19, 2012, 05:46 PM »

I just sent out a kite in USPS standard triangle box to PA and it cost $35.  Thats almost triple what it was not even a month ago.  Going back to send another tomorrow and I'm going to ask them what the deal is.  It was running $10-$20 depending on insurance value and weight just last month.  Hell at those prices UPS is going to be the cheap option pretty fast.
kiteman
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 06:12 PM »

Just don't send it. The rape of money from the people of this country has to stop. I would never ship something that cost that much. If you do, you enable the greedy bastards to take your money.

Don  Lips sealed

Don
Gamelord

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:21 PM »

Shipping has gone through the roof lately.  The main reason is because of fuel costs.  With diesel fuel now costing close to $5.00/gallon, the cost to deliver packages has to absorb it.  UPS, FedEx and the USPS are not going to be taking any pay cuts anytime soon, so guess who gets to pay the increase in costs?

I blame the government and this current administration and their failed programs/economic policies .... but this is not the place to go political.

st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:46 PM »

Well  I  don't  know   how  ya  shipped  it  USPS  Anthony     but  I  can  ship  a  Box   from   PA  to  CA   weighing     5  pounds    for  right  around    15   dollars    But  then  if  you  ship  it  express   then  the  price   goes  up  to   about   39 dollars

Good air always Bobby
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 06:55 PM »

Was it heavier than average?  I've noticed the price goes up almost exponentially when the package weighs more.

I just sent Don a couple kites last week and it was only $17 USPS Priority but I'm pretty sure it was under 5 lbs.

$35 sounds like international rates. Wink

-Mike
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:02 PM »

Last Postal Rate change was January 20th.
The post office can't move as quickly as UPS or FedEx as rates are tightly regulated and require a 30 - 90 day approval process. Rates are available and easily calculated and unless the package is over 1 cubic foot extra charges for "dimensional rate" are not applied.
Sounds like some one calculated the wrong price ... unless it weighed a lot or there was a ton of insurance.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Yeah, I just shipped a similar sized package USPS Priority to Washington state, insured for $400, and it was less than $20. Sounds like you bought your postal worker lunch...   Roll Eyes

st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 07:26 PM »

And  some  more  food  for thought     those  triagngel    tubs  can  be  found     2  ways  one   is  for  express  and  one  is  for  priorty   mail   if you  folded  it  epxpress  side  out  that  is the  rate  the  chared   ypu   at  and  if  you  did  your  lable  from   your   computer  the  frist  option  is  express  mail   not  priotroy   so  easy  to  make   a   misstake   there  also

Good air always Bobby
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 07:41 PM »

A zephyr doesn't weigh that much lol.  I think the idiot behind the counter was doing something wrong.  I'll be going back when the regular guy is there.  Hell the 2 kites and 3 linsets + rev handles I Sent to B-13 out in BFE only ran $49 priority mail and that was a 9lb package.  I'll find out what the deal is tomorrow and post up what I get told.  Heck the one I sen out last week was only $31 priority insured and that's going to italy.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 07:58 PM »

$35 to PA?? Are you sure you did not missed the address and put mine on it Anthony?? lol
This is what i pay to be shipped kites from the other side of the World

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 08:15 PM »

USPS from Seattle has certainly gone up recently.  The last 2 kites that I've sent have cost about 1/3 more than expected. 

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 12:10 PM »

USPS from Seattle has certainly gone up recently.  The last 2 kites that I've sent have cost about 1/3 more than expected. 
So what did that cost Tom?  I'm guessing under $15.00?

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Gamelord

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:33 PM »

I have to ask...are you going straight to the post office or are you using one of those corner "ship it" stores?  Even stores like the "UPS Store" are rip offs.  They overcharge you on every box, that is how they make their money.  Even though the store is called the "UPS Store" it is not directly affiliated with UPS.  The same goes for the "Stamps" stores....they take the normal charge amount and then add on their huge markups....that's how they pay the bills to keep the store operating.  They are not ran by UPS or the Post Office, they are independently owned businesses that use FedEx, UPS, or USPS to make money.

If you have a question on the amount, you can just log onto USPS.Com and check the price yourself.  Just put in the address where it is being shipped from - and then put in your address where it will be shipped to - and it will calculate the EXACT price that USPS will charge.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 02:03 PM »

So what did that cost Tom?  I'm guessing under $15.00?

The last one I shipped out was over $20, but that included $4-5 insurance to NC. 

The same package had been sent to me from the East Coast for $8.50 some 4 months ago (approx the same weight).  The price definitely varies depending on what employee prices it for you. 

The kite before that one I had shipped to Canada for around $26.  Again, I've sent similar packages to the same place for about $16 in the past.

I always ship USPS priority.  I think perhaps it is the odd-shaped large boxes that account for the difference in pricing. One employee measures it as one size while another does it another way which are both odd to me since USPS gives you the box to begin with (you'd think it would fit a standardized category).

Anyhow, other than the price, I have always been happy with the shipping service of USPS.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 02:42 PM »

Yeah, I always laugh when they measure that priority box every time.  I even had one USPS employee say to me once, "you'd think I'd know the dimensions of this box by now, eh?"  I think it's just part of their procedures.  What I do now is check beforehand on usps.com with the exact box dimensions and weight.  It's usually right on, but at least that way I'm prepared for any insane shipping price quotes.

Where you get in trouble if is the box is longer than average.  Once I was sending out a longer than average kite, which would only fit into 2 Priority boxes stuck end to end.  They about flipped out when they saw that, but it was only about $10 more.

Another time the lady at the counter freaked out because I covered a Priority box with paper and send it Parcel Post. Wink  Funny part was she told me to do that, then tried to take it back saying I'd have to find another box.  Yeah, right. Undecided  Guess it threw her off when I actually came back with it done.  They tried to say something about a cost associated with the priority box, to which I replied "huh?  I brought in this box, it's already been paid for."  In that situation it was like a $35 difference in shipping so it was worth covering the box.

So remember:  If you bring in a Priority box, they'll force you to send it Priority.

-Mike
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:47 PM by Smeagol » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document