GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 12:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First ever Quad flight today..  (Read 3226 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 20, 2012, 09:47 AM »

(here we go, right place this time!)

.....on my newly acquired Rev1.5 SLE . It was....er..interesting. First 10 minutes try to sort out the lines, next 10 minutes ..nothing, lots of turning over but no flight.....then I realised I'd got the top & bottom lines the wrong way round on one of the handles  Embarrassed That sorted and flight!....then ground..then flight!..then ground...lots of spinning ( not all planned) then sustained flight!....well about a minute..then ground. Tried launching and landing but when I tried to decend it veered of to the left.....probably dual line habits. It's going to be a steep learning curve!  Huh Control? currently like an excited puppy on a polished wooden floor....Oh well, things can only get better.  Wink

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:39 AM »

First off, WELCOME to the dark side..
The first flight is always the worse..then come less bad on second, a bit less on third (as we always think that on the second we learned enough lol) and on 4th to 6th flight, all become clear Smiley
I had a bad time learning it as it was on my Supersonic STD..the most difficult Rev to learn
i started really controlling it only on second flight but still got confused at some occasion with the wrist movements..i then followed an advice that i will share with you
FORGET that you know how to fly..imagine your Rev is the first ever kite you hold in your hands and forget all those habits from the duals..
They require little inputs for fine controls and for learning, always fly straight up and let the kite fall with gravity y itself..keep doing this as many times as you can until you can stop it 2-3 feet off the ground and fly straight up again..now you will have the horizontal hover control Smiley
As i got my 1.5sle things began to become serious and i forgot about all learning process..it was time to make one with the kite and control it in any part of the wind window..

I suggest you make a jump into the rev forum or subscribe on kitelifedotcom. JB has very VERY useful tips and tutorials there..he will make your lines management easier in minutes Smiley

See you there

And again Welcome to the DARK SIDE

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:18 PM »

When the Hadzicki's were demo'ing their new toy back in 1990 they gave us old dual line dogs the advise to lock our elbows, follow the kite with our arms straight in front of us and concentrated only on the thumb/wrist control aspect at first. You need to break that habit of tugging and ingrain that thumb/wrist control for awhile. Once the ground stays away for awhile then relax and start seeing what combining arm movements with the wrist movements will do. You'll be fine, third time out really smooths out in my experience.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 02:46 PM »

I was thinking that this might be a good idea!  Cheesy

Revolution-Kite-Best-Beginner-Noob-Training-Tool.wmv

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 04:21 PM »

maybe these are more comfootable Huh

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 02:30 AM »

Cheesy   Cheesy  and you thought the toy drawer was only for nightime   Cheesy   Cheesy 

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
JG5150
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:40 PM »

First off welcome!
Next is the hover, probably the most important manuever in flying Rev's. Learn to hover upright, then inverted, then right, then left. If you can master these moves you will be able to do anything after that. It does get easier, you will get to a point where things start to click and you will say OK i get it.
Again welcome to the dark side,
Joe

Hadge

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 02:29 AM »

HOVER! Huh I can only dream of hover!....seriously I was fairly pleased at being able to get into the air at all on my first attempt. As soon as I launch my brain goes onto automatic 2 line pilot and I start tugging the lines...NOT a good thing to do.

I've really got the Rev for a change from my 2 line stuff and I know it's going to take a while to get my head around...but I've got all summer Grin...if it stops raining Embarrassed ( They declared a drought here at the beginning of April and introduced a hosepipe ban, since then it's rained nearly every day!)

REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 04:15 AM »

practice with the leading edge FACING the ground, get comfortable with the kite inverted,

master the Cartwheel, so you can turn the kite over without draggin' the leading edge along the ground

your top leaders are pulled WAy-in in the photograph (to increase forward lift-?, that is actually counter-productive, you need the bottoms pulled in and the top leaders let out, so the sail is more square to the wind.

Try more "Down" in your tuning, and leave the kite inverted to practice.  Fly it up to shoulder-height and paste it there, then slowly lower it back to mother-earth.  You want the handles held very loosely, delicate and soft, little tiny movements.  This practice will help you gain control of a flying beast.  Keep doubling the height you use as a target.  It will take many hours to make it look magical!

If it suddenly surges ahead fast then you have too much FORWARD drive, if it barely moves forward at all you have it tuned properly.  Revs are about control, not shooting to the top of the window as fast as possible.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:17 AM by REVflyer » Logged
Hadge

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:08 PM »

Not me in the photograph, just something I found on youtube.  However today went much better, most of the time in the air, up, down, left , right, spins, even managed a short reverse flight though to be honest that was a fluke not planned. Things are getting better!! Grin

I haven't played around with the handle settings yet, just using them as they came - standard 10" rev handles with equal length leaders with no adjustment knots.  The kite also has the big SLE leading edge at the moment but once I get a bit more reliable control I'm going to replace it with something lighter - possibly using Skyshark P300 as I can get that much more cheaply than Rev rods.

REVflyer

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 03:51 AM »

I use skyshark tubes for low wind, they're almost disposable if you can acquire blemished tubes.   Try the kite with a P-90 leading edge and down-spars (all need to be cut down & Ferules added) made from 2P tapered tubes.  You've probably cut the overall weight in half and made the frame much more flexible.  That really flexible leading edge will cup wind when powered up.  This is your dead-calm frame set and go to a shorter lines too, like 50 feet.

You've gotta' add some leaders onto your handles immediately!  That will certainly make a big difference in your skill progression.  I recommend 100# Hi-Test bridle line, lots of folks use Dacron 150-250#.  The top leaders should be 3 or 4 times as long as the bottoms.  Place knots every 3/4 of an inch or so, for the first couple of inches on each leader.
Stake down you lines independently, all four to the same stake and affix your handles.  Pul 'em back tightly, .... do they align perfectly?  If not you need to switch lines around, or move knot leader positions until they are perfect.  Now your lines and handles have "neutral".

Put the lines onto your kite, place it upside down (leading edge is grounded) and keep shorting the brake lines, (or lengthening the top leaders) until the kite will BACK-UP inverted.  You may need to slowly walk backwards in low wind also.  Slowly and delicately push your thumbs forward toward the kite.  When the kite will back-up inverted is when you have it tuned properly.

You'll find by replacing the frame and tuning/adjusting your lines/handles you have a completely different kite!!!!
timothymcmackin

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 06:49 AM »

I use skyshark tubes for low wind, they're almost disposable if you can acquire blemished tubes.   Try the kite with a P-90 leading edge and down-spars (all need to be cut down & Ferules added) made from 2P tapered tubes.  You've probably cut the overall weight in half and made the frame much more flexible.  That really flexible leading edge will cup wind when powered up.  This is your dead-calm frame set and go to a shorter lines too, like 50 feet.

I may have to try that Skyshark frame for my B1.5s. It would be half the price of a Race frame (for new rods; not sure where I'd get factory seconds), and (by my math) 49.5 grams vs. 62.5 grams for the race frame. Thanks for the tip! Any particular reason for using 2PTs in the verticals rather than using P90 or 2PT all the way around? I suppose the verticals are not under the same stress as the LE, so you might as well save some more weight there.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 07:33 AM »

Don't know how flexibility is on the Skyshark rods as the most important part is the ability to reflex rapidly and repond to input from the flier.

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
REVflyer

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 07:05 AM »

Thanks for the tip! Any particular reason for using 2PTs in the verticals rather than using P90 or 2PT all the way around? I suppose the verticals are not under the same stress as the LE, so you might as well save some more weight there.

the 2-p tapered skyshark rods go into the down spars' position, I personally like them cut down to fit a tighter frame/sail combo.  I end the spar (cut-away excess) at the bottom of the sail.  I cut the fatter part of the skyshark tube away also.  Now I have less weight and have moved the balance point forward (towards the leading edge end of the kite)  This makes a better glide,... now if you were to reinforce the frame structure with a set of magic sticks you'll have the best of both worlds.  A very light weight and flexible frame, but I will not fail in a sudden gust either!  A killer glide of at least 3 or 4 hundred percent.

You can make the bridle more responsive as well (smaller hinge points and tighter center attachment)

Low wind is as much about skill as equipment, there's no getting around putting the time in to master no-wind flying, but you can make it much more enjoyable along the way with tuning and modifications.
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 09:42 AM »

I had my first Rev fly last night, much to the same result as you , Hadge.  Even when I was focused on keeping the handles evenly in front of me the kite would go up, maybe stay up for a half a minute, then make an immediate turn to inverted and head to the ground.  It seemed like no wrist/thumb movement in the world would let me keep it upright and in the air.  Frustrating, but I was laughing at myself the entire time.

Ron
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography