GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 04:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great flying session!  (Read 797 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:50 PM »

I just had a great couple of hours flying.  Mid day, empty field, decent wind...  I'm pretty happy where I live because the wind always blows.  Usually a bit too hard, almost always a bit too rough, but you get used to it and develop an opportunistic flying style.  Hit the move when it feels right, don't beat yourself up when it gets knocked out of the air.  So if you've got the time, around here you can pretty much always fly.  I appreciate that.  So yeah, I picked a nice looking kite for today, my Red Nirvana.  Its set up pretty well too, extra 5 g in the tail in addition to the internal weight, US shortened to 49 cm, nice, heavy leaders on it so the line quickly falls out of the way.   I simply had fun.  Flew around a lot, smiled when the trailing edge would buzz in the fresh breeze.  I actually did a bit of practicing, worked on slots (man, that kite does a pretty slot) and duplexes, both of which are coming along nicely this spring, thank you very much.  And I did lots of left hand stuff.  Lots.  My left elbow was broken pretty badly exactly two months ago and until very recently it hurt bad and was weak.  So the left input tricks were as much to strengthen my arm as anything else. So a couple hours later the vid camera was still in its case.  I hadn't done anything ground breaking. Just thankful to be out flying kites.  I of course realize this thread serves no purpose, nobody's going to learn anything from it. But it for me pretty accurately reflects the mood of the day.  If you'd like to tell one of your flying session stories I'd enjoy the read.  Wink
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 01:37 PM »

your enthusiasm is tangible, which makes your story enjoyable to read.

i know exactly the feeling. leaving the field and thinking to yourself over at least the next hour, "man that was fun!" whether or not anything spectacular happened.

fun flying kites at the field may come in degrees, but for me, it's never been not fun. sure it's less fun when the wind is really howling, or when the wind goes away for 15 minutes and shows up in 3 minute bursts. even then though, it's still fun just to be outside, in the sunshine, at the end of a kite.

for many years i lived in places where i gave up the sport because of lack of wind, and now having returned, it brings me much joy.

even better, i now live in a place where there's a small community of active flyers. we meet to fly every friday afternoon at a lit field and we fly into the night, sometimes as late as midnight.  i have a great local kite shop who's owner is probably the nicest fellow i've met here, a real straight shooter, and one who shares the passion, flying with us weekly.

sure the wind here is bumpy, and the weather is hot, but any time at the end of the kite lines, with friends flying nearby is a great day in my book.

Fdeli
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change