GWTW Forum
June 26, 2016, 08:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: admin@gwtwforum.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 33 [34]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 112297 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #495 on: March 19, 2016, 06:24 PM »

Making some more progress on the Bird of Prey 76.  The first picture shows the 3/16 in. hem around the perimeter of the sail has been sewn.  Since this picture was taken, I have added the wing spar sleeves, batten pockets and wing tip pocket/reinforcements.  The second picture is a view of the back of the left wing, showing how I was able to cover the white Dacron with the red PC-31.  For this Bird of Prey, I think it looks better than me using my standard black Dacron wing tip pocket/reinforcements and batten pockets.  This was done as a test, so I can figure out how to finish the nose reinforcement, to try and honor the color of the eagle nose.  Just need to add the nose and tail reinforcements, the bridle line and center spine/wing spar joiner reinforcements, then finish the eagle eye/face details.   Almost done.   Grin

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Doug Stout's Bird of Prey 76 (Patriotic Eagle) - Hem Sewn

Doug Stout's Bird of Prey 76 (Patriotic Eagle) -
Rear view of Left Wing Tip - Batten Pockets and Wing Tip Pocket/Reinforcement

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:35 PM by Doug S » Logged

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Doug S

« Reply #496 on: March 21, 2016, 03:34 PM »

Finished sewing the Bird of Prey 76 and added the eye details.  I used a wider section of white Dacron that is covered by two layers of yellow PC-31 for the nose reinforcement, so I could hide the center spine end cap behind the nose.  Used a piece of tubing that is sewn to the nose reinforcement as the nose guide for the center spine.  Most of my Bird of Prey glider kites have the center spine extend beyond the nose with an end cap.  I think this will look cleaner for this version of the Bird of Prey.  I also included a picture of the back of the sail, so you can see what I did with the bridle line reinforcements.  Usually I use circle shaped reinforcements.  On this Bird of Prey, I made the shape of the reinforcement like the feather it's behind, so you can not see them when the sun is behind the sail.

As an update, I replaced the yellow accent on the yellow nose panel between the nose and the grey around the eyes, with grey accent on the yellow nose panel.  Now you can see the accent.  Also, my Bird of Prey 76 needs to breath, so I added the nostrils.  Will start making the frame.  Will add the joiner Dacron reinforcement to the back of the sail, after I have the kite assembled and the joiner location dialed in along the center spine.

This version of my Bird of Prey has been very tedious to build, but will look nice in the air.  I could not have build this Bird of Prey without the great aluminum templates from Tom White.  Especially the fine details like the stars, feathers and all of the nose details.  This Bird of Prey was like a jigsaw puzzle to put together.  Grin   

All most done.  Wink

Yours in kiting,

Doug

All Sewn with Head Details, View from the Front of the Sail

All Sewn with Head Details, View from the Back of the Sail

Head (Nose), View from the Front of the Sail

Head (Nose), View from the Back of the Sail

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:07 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #497 on: March 25, 2016, 04:04 PM »

Finished the Bird of Prey 76 today.  The first picture is it hanging in my foyer, my traditional picture backdrop.  The second picture is the back of the sail, where you can see the nose and nose weight.  I really like the way this came out, where the nose cap is hidden behind the nose.  To dial in the balance for the first flight, I added two 2 in. long zinc roll pins, which weight in total 14.6 grams.  This moved the balance point forward to 17 1/4 in. behind the nose.  With the nose weight, the total weight is 83.2 grams (0.324 oz./sq.ft. project sail area), which is lighter than I expected.  The project sail area is 1,303 sq.in.  It has the same sail loading as my Bird of Prey 62, with a projected sail area of 867 sq.in.  I used a piece of tubing for the joiner, until the nice machined Delrin one arrives from Tom White.   Grin

Took it for a quick test flight in my front yard.  Wind was a little gusty, between 5 and 8 mph, but this Bird of Prey handled it very well.  First flight, I caught a thermal and it went up to over 100 feet.  She glides very nice and handles beautifully.  This one is a keeper!  Will try to take some pictures of it in flight.  Grin

March 28, 2016 Update:  Received Tom White's joiner today in the mail.  Much better than my tubing version.  With the new joiner and joiner reinforcement installed to protect the sail, the total weight is now 87.7 grams, (0.342 oz./sq.ft. projected sail area).  This works for me and is exactly what I just calculated as a check, when using the sail loadings of the Bird of Prey 62 and 96, and the sail areas of the Bird of Prey 62, 76 and 96.  Waiting for the high winds to calm down to go play.  Grin

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Doug Stout's Bird of Prey 76 (Patriotic Eagle) - All Finished

Doug Stout's Bird of Prey 76 (Patriotic Eagle) - View from the Back of the Sail, Nose and Nose Weight
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:46 PM by Doug S » Logged

stapp59
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #498 on: March 25, 2016, 04:18 PM »

That build certainly has nice detailing Doug  Cool  I feel so lame for not appliqueing in at least a star or two.  Cheesy  Pretty bird.

Doug S

« Reply #499 on: March 25, 2016, 04:30 PM »

Steve,

Thank you for kind words.   You can always add stars later.  This is my first one with stars and I was stressing how to do this and not screw it up.  Tom White made me aluminum templates, where I hot cut out the 13 stars from the blue panel, and templates to hot cut out each size of the white stars.  Just used a glue stick to mount them on the back of the sail, then straight stitched from the back side.  Sounds so simple now.  Wink

Yours in kiting,

Doug

coogee

« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2016, 04:48 PM »

Very nice work!

Mike
Doug S

« Reply #501 on: April 01, 2016, 09:46 AM »

Mother Nature is not being very cooperative since I finished this glider kite.  Been able to get out twice and fly.  Today the winds were better and ranging from 5 to 10 mph, with gusts above 20 mph.  This Bird of Prey is a pisser to fly under these conditions!  It cuts through the turbulence and is responsive.  The sail is very efficient using the stiff CST DPP 0.157 in. OD Carbon Tubes and Tom White's great machined Delrin Joiner.  During the lower end of the wind range, I believe I have the balance point dialed in, reducing the nose weight to 3.0 in. in length.  I tried 3.5 in. nose weight the other day, and it appeared to still be a little nose heavy.  Originally I used 4.0 in. of nose weight and it was nose heavy.  Based on this, the total weight of this glider kite is now down to 84.2 grams (0.328 oz./sq.ft. projected sail area).  The following provides a picture of the front and back of this glider kite, where you can see the current nose weight and joiner on the back side.

Need to wait for the wind to die down next week to confirm the balance point and nose weight to be used under calm conditions.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Doug Stout's Bird of Prey 76 (Patriotic Eagle) - Front View

Doug Stout's Bird of Prey 76 (Patriotic Eagle) - Rear View
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:49 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #502 on: April 14, 2016, 09:16 AM »

The following picture shows newly finished Bird of Prey 24s and Hawk 20s that will be used during the hands-on portion of my presentation at the Kite Mania North "Windless" Edition 2016 Event in Dedham, MA, this weekend on April 16 and 17, 2016.  They each weigh 2.7 grams and have almost the same projected sail area and sail loading.  These glider kites will allow the participants to experience the difference in performance and handling due to the shape of the sails, and to experiment with moving the balance point on the Bird of Prey 24s, the flying line/bridle connection point on the Bird of Prey 24s and Hawk 20s, and sail washout angle on the Hawk 20s.  If you live in the northeast, I hope you can make the event.  Grin

Yours in kiting,

Doug

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:19 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #503 on: April 19, 2016, 08:18 AM »

I had a great time at the KiteMania North "Windless Edition" 2016 Event in Dedham, MA this past weekend on April 16 and 17, 2016.  We all greatly appreciate the hard work that Archie Stewart, Steve Santos, and Sue Moskowitz put in to plan, host and run this great indoor event.  Also we greatly appreciate the efforts of all of the presenters and helping hands from the Northeast and Canada.  I hope event pictures will be posted at their Facebook Page in the near future, at https://www.facebook.com/kitemaniawindlessedition/?fref=nf.

The following provides a few pictures from this event.  Thank you to those individuals who took the pictures and shared them.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Normand Girard from Montreal, Canada and I chatting,
while I assemble a Bird of Prey 36M for my presentation.

My presentation underway on Kite Aerodynamics and Tuning Techniques.
On the left are 4 Bird of Prey 36s and 2 Bird of Prey 48s ready for flight.

3 Bird of Prey Glider Kites in Flight after my Presentation.

Open Space flying in the Presentation Hall.

Open Space flying in the Presentation Hall.

Bird of Prey 76 Patriotic Eagle in Flight.  Just had to give it a try indoors.
Was able to fly it up to the high ceiling with ease, and around the perimeter of this great room.

Scott Weider with his Rev, with me with my Bird of Prey 36M in the background.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:54 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #504 on: May 11, 2016, 12:58 PM »

Had a great time attending the 26th Kite Day in the Park, Easton, PA, on Saturday, May 7 2016.  Prior to the event, we had rain almost every day for over a week in the Northeast.  There was light rain driving to the event, which ending during the morning.  The sky was overcast for most of the day and became partly cloudy in the afternoon.  The wind was light and changing in direction throughout the day.  Great weather for light wind single line kites and glider kites!  Congratulations to Andy and his team planning and running this event for 26 years!   Grin

It was great to see everyone again at the event.  Kurtis Jones and his family made it this year.  He was quite impressed at the size of the open fields and how well the grass was maintained at the Park.  Art Babiarz and his lovely wife came to help out.  When Art could break away, he came over to my tent to plot with me which Bird of Prey was going to get some air time.  Grin

Regarding the Bird of Preys, I started off with the Bird of Prey 96 for a while, and then switched to the Bird of Prey 76 Patriotic Eagle.  I should have learned by now that dandelion weeds and slack glider kite flying line don't get along.  Every time I was letting one of the Bird of Preys run, my other hand was doing a tug-of-war with my flying line hooked on the weeds.  I also wore my old sneakers due to the damp field, which are a magnet for my flying line.  Did a great imitation of Charlie Brown on many occasions, which was quite entertaining for the other kite flyers and spectators.  Cheesy

I love the way the Bird of Prey 76 fly’s when the wind was clean coming out of the gap in the trees to the north and out of the west.  Very smooth flat turns, some inches off of the ground.  This one is a keeper.  Did sky the Bird of Prey 76 on 250 feet a few times with the single line guys, when the wind was right.  In Picture 35 provided below, you can see my Bird of Prey 76 at 250 feet, in the upper left.  It's the little red, white and blue one.  My favorite remark from my single line friends was "Would someone please tell Doug that there is no wind and he shouldn't be flying."  I was there entertainment when the wind was calm.

The wind became very lighter after lunch, so I flew the ultra-light Bird of Prey 48 for a brief moment.  It didn't like the light turbulent air.  It's a good glider kite for indoor, but not these conditions.  For the heck of it, I got out the little ultra-light Bird of Prey 18 to let Art Babiarz have some fun.  What a blast to fly in these conditions.  Used 20 feet of 5 lb. spectra line, with one end looped around my wrist.  It would run down wind to the end of the line and just wait for line inputs.  Consecutive snap spins and wing overs were routine.  It would just float on the turbulent air, and then cut right through it and climb with a little line input.  No problems with the weeds.  The line was short and light enough to just float in the wind, very rarely touching the ground.  Spend hours flying this little kite in the afternoon to the music playing at the event.  This is my new favorite kite for these conditions.  Who knew this little 18 inch, 1.3 gram glider kite could do this!  You learn something new every day.   Cheesy

The following provides a link to a short 41 second video of the event, taken by The Morning Call.  They caught me playing in the morning with the Bird of Prey 96, at 19 to 20 seconds, and 23 to 29 seconds.

http://www.mcall.com/videos/mc-northampton-s-kite-day-20160507-premiumvideo.html

The following provides a few pictures from the event.  Thank you to those for taking and sharing these pictures.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Picture 7

Picture 8

Picture 9

Picture 10

Picture 11

Picture 12

Picture 13

Picture 14

Picture 15

Picture 16

Picture 17

Picture 18

Picture 19

Picture 20

Picture 21

Picture 22

Picture 23

Picture 24

Picture 25

Picture 26

Picture 27

Picture 28

Picture 29

Picture 30

Picture 31

Picture 32

Picture 33

Picture 34

Picture 35

Picture 36

Picture 37
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:26 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #505 on: May 15, 2016, 11:57 AM »

Just finished a Bird of Prey 36M for Steve Santos.  Steve and I flew my Bird of Prey 36M at the indoor competition in Dedham, MA.  Steve also will be receiving a Bird of Prey 24S, so he can fly it in his high ceiling family room.  Steve and I will be using the Bird of Prey 36Ms at the indoor event in Wildwood, NJ.  We hope to see you there.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #506 on: May 31, 2016, 08:09 PM »

Was able to attend and fly at the Wildwoods International Kite Festival on Memorial Day.  The following provides some pictures taken at the Indoor Event and the associated score sheet.  Thank you to the kite fliers who shared the pictures.  It was great seeing all my kite friends again!  Was fortunate to place 1st in the Single Line Event using my Bird of Prey 36M.  Got lucky and only stepped on my flying line once during my routine.

After the event, a few of us got a chance to fly my Bird of Prey 76 (Patriotic Eagle).  The following provides a link to a video with Jose Sainz on the line.  Paul Dugard, Jose Sainz, Peter Dolphin and myself were taking turns and having a blast.  I had the Bird of Prey 76 balanced at the rear location to obtain the slowest glide, but not the best L/D.  With a little more nose weight, the glide will be longer with a flatter glide slope. 

If you have Facebook, please search for this event.  Many of the kite flyers have posted great pictures and videos from the outdoor and indoor activities.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Single Line Indoor

Mike Stuligross

James Fletcher

Jackie Maciel

Pauly Berard

Doug Stout

Open Unlimited Indoor

Steve Santos

Pauly Berard

Jackie Maciel

James Fletcher

Jeff King

Paul LaMasters

Lisa Willoughby

View of Indoor Venue with Lisa Willoughby Flying

Indoor Event Scores

My Bird of Prey Squadron Ready for the Indoor Event
Front Row:  Bird of Prey 18, 24, 36, 36B and three 36Ms.
Second Row:  Bird of Prey 76 (Patriotic Eagle)
Third Row:  Bird of Prey 96

Video of Jose Sainz flying my Bird of Prey 76 (Patriotic Eagle)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFZmxfWW92RlgyN3M/view?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:40 AM by Doug S » Logged

twhite510

« Reply #507 on: June 02, 2016, 06:06 PM »

Doug

Great pictures and nice video. The 76 looks awesome. it is so graceful flying.
coogee

« Reply #508 on: June 02, 2016, 06:19 PM »

The Big Bird does look great in flight.

Mike
Doug S

« Reply #509 on: June 06, 2016, 08:37 AM »

Two more pictures from Wildwood.  The Wildwood pictures and video are posted on my Google Drive, under the Kite Festivals folder.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Left to Right:  Jose Sainz, Steve Santos, Doug Stout with Bird of Prey 76 and Peter Dolphin

James Fletcher in the foreground, Bird of Prey 96 in the background
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:46 AM by Doug S » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 33 [34]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom