GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 08:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icarex and soap  (Read 975 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 22, 2012, 11:02 AM »

Hi
Short question.
My Sea Devil kite with Icarex (white) sail was mess (to soil) with, I think,  sun lotion for body. The  kite was touched on the body with sun lotion I think...
I use light soap water for cleaning.
 I made cleaning....
Question: Does soap +water cleaning can damege Icarex sail and does Icarex sail has some wax protecion layer to protect Icarex which can be maybe remove with soap (If exist that layer?)...?
Will that part of Icarex clean with soap and water,  show with time,  some difference in the future then other part of Icarex?
Or with other words, will the all sail of the kite (clean and unclean) be the same  and the healthy in the future....
thanks
all best
boris
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:05 PM »

I've asked this question before on FA. I reckon the stuff you wash softshell jackets works well and help waterproof them too .... Nik wax sell one in the UK. There must be an equivalent in the US if they don't sell this  Cool
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:59 PM »

soap will not hurt the sail.

have fun kurt
vigli

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:00 PM »

Thanks Ko.
Harveystubbs, sorry didn't understand, You mean soap will not hurt the Icarex?
thanks
smooth wnds......
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:36 AM »

Mild soap or detergent shouldn't harm Icarex or any other kite fabric. Cheap dishwashing detergent withno additives, oils or antibacterials is good. I wouldn't go spraying it with any window or bathroom cleaners though. Stubborn spots seem to respond well to a  bit of Goo Gone on a soft cloth with no damage either.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:37 PM »

Washing up liquid in a weak solution is ok but there are better products made for out door waterproof clothing which are better IMHO  Cool
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:04 PM »

Hi
Short question.
My Sea Devil kite with Icarex (white) sail was mess (to soil) with, I think,  sun lotion for body. The  kite was touched on the body with sun lotion I think...
I use light soap water for cleaning.
 I made cleaning....
Question: Does soap +water cleaning can damege Icarex sail and does Icarex sail has some wax protecion layer to protect Icarex which can be maybe remove with soap (If exist that layer?)...?
Will that part of Icarex clean with soap and water,  show with time,  some difference in the future then other part of Icarex?
Or with other words, will the all sail of the kite (clean and unclean) be the same  and the healthy in the future....
thanks
all best
boris

Sunscreen can stain clothing... i assume it can do the same to Icarex.
Is that the problem?.. is there some staining?

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
vigli

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:34 PM »

Hi
The stain looks like wax-oil big spot.
I use weak soap and wash it.
After wash the stain was still there but it was not so expose as before. I could see is better on sun when reflecting Icarex from close view.
And with time it is dissapier... strange.
I suspect I got stain with one touch of the kite on the body passed with sun lotion.
But I also suspect somethink else:
Kite bag inside part, has layer of some supstance, for I think water proffing. Outside part don't have it. I press inside part of the bag by hand, and with hand heat (body temperature) it start to be little sticky. Then I wash bag with hot watter and soap it start to be very sticky but only on inside side. After drying it looks normal but when the heat is higher, again, after wash, inside part of the bag start to be sticky as before with heat.
I suspect that was the problem-kite in the  bag on the hot beach day next to sticky side in the bag..
I use still same  bag but I made inside part to be OUT and inside part to be OUT.
I can't see the stain now. Just worry about soap treatment and that's why I asked You all kite flyers.
But, You say Icarex is resist on light soap and shouldn't be a problem
Thanks a lot
Boris

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:19 PM by vigli » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography