GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 03:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One step further: UL or SUL ? ... and which?!  (Read 6204 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 23, 2012, 10:38 AM »

Hi,

I just now realised I'm less than a month away from my birthday, hurray!  Cheesy

So I thought I could move one step further and start expanding my "bag of kites" (currently I only have only two so, more than a "bag of kites" I have "two kites in a bag...")  Wink

I was thinking I could get me a UL or an SUL to be able to fly in days when wind is scarce.

I currently have a Soul but I've read it is hard to get a UL Soul.

So I was thinking on getting the UL (or SUL) of another type of kite; but which!?!?

I will involve all my family in this "co-operative" birthday gift so I guess price could go up to $300 (or a bit more if needed).

I'm only doubtful about one point. I have the impression that if you are used to flying a std kite the UL (or SUL) should be of the same type. So I don't know whether I'll be doing a silly thing by buying a different type UL/SUL kite.

So any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:16 PM »

For the money, the

Shadow UL (almost an SUL)

is an excellent choice.

Extremely tricky for its light weight.

Does need a bridle adjust in my opinion.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:23 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:22 PM »

+1 for the Shadow, it's a great kite for the money and will fly from a genuine 1.5 mph, great chill out kite. Loves the rotational stuff but yoyo's need a certain touch. It can be a bit twitchy compared to a standard kite and needs a light touch to get the best from it.

One tip if you get one, rub a little bees wax on the bridle knots as the bridle is made from dyneema flying line and the knots can slip.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:54 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The guys at my local store said the Shadow is more of an std designed in the fashion of a UL... They say it is rather a low-mid range UL kite.
This puzzled me...

They suggested the Level One Jumping Jack Flash UL.
What do you think? How does it compare to the Shadow?

What about the Silver Fox 2.5 UL? I would continue with a Flying Wings kite...

And what about a higher end kite so I start building my way up to higher range kites? (of course I don't want to spend all my money in one go...)

Thanks,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:18 PM »

The Shadow is definately a proper UL and near a SUL, I regularly fly mine in 2mph or maybe a little less and I fly inland. There are kites that will fly lower but the problem you can get with very light SUL's is that they can be difficult to trick because of their lack of weight. They can also be rather fragile using expensive superlight spars. The Shadow is very tricky for it's weight and the frame is 4mm pultruded carbon and DT12, it's also pretty tough, I've only broken one spar in 3 years and I didn't notice that until the end when I packed up.

I don't know what the JJF will do, but the Shadow will certainly fly lower than the Silver Fox UL which is more of a light standard.  Just remember flying SUL's is a very different technique to flying standard kites.

Higher winds? well there a lot of vented kites out there but while the venting can take a lot of the pull away it can also effect the performance of the kite. Some folks prefer a standard with some sort of wind brakes on them, other use a Revolution.

If the wind gets really silly then I just hook up the Delta Hawk to a set of 35m 110kg lines and hang on! Grin

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:49 PM »

I love my fox 2.5 ul.
It is a lil heavy for a ul but it's a lot lighter than your soul.
It's nice how big and slow it is ...great for learning.
Plus its very reasonably priced.

The problem with a true sul is most of them don't like to take a beating.
In my honest opinion If your still doing the odd faceplant it's best to pick up a ul.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 05:27 PM »

SHADOW or spend alot more

have fun kurt
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:42 PM »

Wow, thanks Hadge, Adamld13 & KO.

OK, so I see I will not go for an SUL. That's clear.

So, it seems the Shadow is the one, I guess. Although I don't like its pattern and colors much, but I'm learning that "looks" are less important than "flies"...

Hadge I didn't express myself correctly. When I said a higher end kite I didn't mean higher end in the wind range (so not a vented) but rather higher price range but still referring to a UL (although I take good note about the HQ Delta Hawk   Wink   ).

So in this regard, KO, what would be "a lot more" in price and which UL kites would those be?

Thanks!

N.

Perhaps I could post a "Wanted" here in the forum and get a second hand UL? (what do y'all think?)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:52 PM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 01:30 AM »

Hadge I didn't express myself correctly. When I said a higher end kite I didn't mean higher end in the wind range (so not a vented) but rather higher price range but still referring to a UL (although I take good note about the HQ Delta Hawk   Wink   ).

So in this regard, KO, what would be "a lot more" in price and which UL kites would those be?

Thanks!

N.

Sorry, I misunderstood you there.  There are some really nice UL's out there and others can probably advise you better than me, but the Talon UL is supposed to be a very nice tricky kite and The Fearless has a lot of fans too. Maybe some of the others can give you a few more to think about but for performance/price the Shadow is hard to beat.

( By the way the Delta Hawk doesn't trick, but it's a lot of fun when the wind is howling!!)

Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 01:52 AM »

+1 on the Talon UL  Grin

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 03:06 AM »

Yeah! The Talon UL sounds great!
And I like its design a lot!

It is more expensive than the Shadow but it's within price range for me.

Any more "+1"s on this one?

Any potential difficulties in flying a Talon UL as opposed to a Shadow (after having flown only a FW Soul STD) ?

Thanks again,

N.

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 03:06 AM »

Talon UL

Jest of Eve Talon UL slack-line mix (8/26/10)

Talon SUL

tsul movie.wmv

And you can pick your colours!

http://jestofevekites.com/talon.htm

Hadge

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 03:10 AM »

No problem with flying the Talon, everyone I've spoken to who has one loves them, but beware of the colouriser on JOE website!....you can spend DAYS deciding on your colour scheme!! Cheesy

The UL might be a better choice for you as it has more range and th SUL needs a very light touch.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:14 AM by Hadge » Logged

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 06:00 AM »

Looks Great!  Smiley

And... to "mess things up" just a little more...   Wink
how would the Talon compare to the Deep Space UL by Benson Kites?
(Perhaps Adamld13 can provide feedback...)

I promise this is the last one I bring into the equation.   Roll Eyes

Thanks,

N.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:02 AM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 06:49 AM »

I've flown Adams DS ul - its pretty darned tricky - backspin monster... really nice.
Talon UL is my fav kite, hands down.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum