GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 10:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One step further: UL or SUL ? ... and which?!  (Read 6095 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 02:04 AM »

Hey! But the colourizer is is darn fun!
And I'm a frustrated designer so I have already been doing some tests (not showable yet...  Wink  )

One question:

I see that Adamld13 has chosen a symmetrical layout. However, most Talons are asymmetric.
So what do you guys recommend?

Asymmetry is said to help in flying, but I'm still not too sure about it...

Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 02:21 AM »

We've got some Talon UL's in stock. Smiley

Despite what I said in the previous post I sent you a PM.
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 02:28 AM »

Ara just go for what looks good to you.  No matter what people say it all boils down to what YOU like (or in benson kites case what you like and the builder agres to do Tongue) .  I've heard it from many fliers over the years, if you can't tell which way the nose is pointing then Nothing will help you fly.  Panel layout and colors are just for looks and nothing more.  THis whole bit about asymetrical layout making it easier to tell what side is what is just another thing to add to the personal preference list.  Play with the colorizers until you find something that makes you say "ooooo i like that"  then stop and order it.  Its just that simple.
martijn
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 04:01 AM »

if you are used to FW kite as the soul...

maybe it is a suggestion to try or buy a silfer fox UL( 2.3 or 2.5)...some variety, with some equal technique input wise

never flown any of FW kites though...

i owned a DS std.....i liked it...very tricky,but i like bigger movements.....so i stick with my nirvana family Wink
i have flown a Talon UL.... i liked more then my DS.... a little deeper turtle, but for me a big pro

whatever you choose....you can't go wrong with any suggested kite, good luck!!!
BIgger Movenents?  Man Martin it looks like you just twitch and the kite reacts in your vids Tongue

uhmm i don't believe you have seen me flying, caues i don't have any footage online yet...or do we have a miscommunication here?
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2012, 07:27 AM »

Hey! But the colourizer is is darn fun!
And I'm a frustrated designer so I have already been doing some tests (not showable yet...  Wink  )

One question:

I see that Adamld13 has chosen a symmetrical layout. However, most Talons are asymmetric.
So what do you guys recommend?

Asymmetry is said to help in flying, but I'm still not too sure about it...

Cheers,

N.

Ara,
Personally I'm not a big fan of asymmetrical kites but if you look closer at my talon you will see it is in fact asymmetrical. The 2 gray panels in the center are not the same...light gray on the left and dark gray on the right. I did this because talons are typically asymmetrical and wanted mine to be more..."traditional" haha. I know it's not much but it does give the kite a cool look!

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2012, 01:34 PM »

Wow! Really asymmetric!  Wink

Below  (and in the following posts) you may see some of the designs I have come up with in the colourizer. I'm pretty dizzy by now...
Also, I find it difficult to imagine in the final material with the colours being more translucent.
So I'm still quite confused...

Cheers,

N.

[attachment deleted by admin]

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2012, 01:35 PM »

... and...

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2012, 01:36 PM »

... and the last two.

N.

In my bag...
Adamld13

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 10:23 PM »

I like

#1 Greys-RedTail.png 
#2 Greys-RedRingFull-GreyTail.png
#3 Grey-White-RedDetailSym.png

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 03:02 PM »

Thanks Adamld13.

However, after some more tests and discards, I think it now comes down to these four options...
Aaaaarghhh!
I can't make up my mind!

In my bag...
jaydub

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 03:06 PM »

Like the right hand pair best.  I like ULs to be in lighter colours so I'd go for the top left as a preferred option, leaving the bottom left as a colour option for the standard when you want to buy one.
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 03:24 PM »

Bottom-
But you can not go wrong with these last four.

The Talon colorizer is a timeconsumer

Krijn
Adamld13

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 03:48 PM »

Top!

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 03:55 PM »

I like both of those on the right best, with the bottom as my favorite choice.  I like the options that you have come up with here - the downplay of color really allows you to see the shapes built in to the kite.

It depends on what you are going for of course, but a little red can go a long way.

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 08:46 PM »

I am with Tom (as usual lol) although I am not a fan of asymmetrical

have fun kurt
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum