GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 12:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One step further: UL or SUL ? ... and which?!  (Read 4823 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 11:49 PM »

Oooops! Not much consensus there  Wink

You're not helping me much guys!  Cheesy Cheesy

I decided to go with these because:

1. Although I like green a lot, from pictures I've seen the greens of the Talon are a bit dull (nothing compared to green kites from Prism which are bright, luminous and awesome).
2. I got really nice combinations in Golds but my Soul is gold so I didn't want to repeat gamut.
3. I like the elegance of purple but I didn't manage to get a combination that really satisfied me.
4. Blues are OK but I tend to think that it is a pity to bring something up into the sky that does not contrast the background a little...

So finally Red was the color left (together with greys, of course).

But I really would like to have a way to decide
* * sigh * *

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 12:05 AM »

flip a   coin  lol   Cheesy Cheesy

Good air always Bobby
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 12:27 AM »

But a coin has only two sides st3307! LOL  Cheesy

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
KSC

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 06:28 PM »

I'm liking that grey/white one on the last page with the red "eyes". Very cool!

Quick related question for you guys.

Obviously, if someone owns a Hypnotist, for example, it's perfectly acceptable to grab a Zephyr as a lower wind option as there is no "Hypno UL", but I was kinda under the impression that when heading into the "boutique" realm, it was a good idea to get a Standard version first in order to get a baseline for the kite and whether or not it fit your personal style before moving onto lighter models? Am I totally off base here? 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:31 PM by KSC » Logged
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 07:39 PM »

you  are  Off     base    some     but  not  much  the  biggest  thing  about   buying  set  of  kites  the  input  are   going  to  be  alike   between  the  UL  and  the  Std  weight  kite   and  it   comes  down  to  muscle  memory   so    if  you  have   the  same  kind   kite   like  a  Widow  Maker  Std  and  UL  the  learning  curve  is  not   quit   as  steep    when  changing  between the  two

Good air always Bobby
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 08:42 PM »

I'm liking that grey/white one on the last page with the red "eyes". Very cool!

Quick related question for you guys.

Obviously, if someone owns a Hypnotist, for example, it's perfectly acceptable to grab a Zephyr as a lower wind option as there is no "Hypno UL", but I was kinda under the impression that when heading into the "boutique" realm, it was a good idea to get a Standard version first in order to get a baseline for the kite and whether or not it fit your personal style before moving onto lighter models? Am I totally off base here? 
This really depends on the kite and maker.  Just because its the same kite doesn't mean it flies the same between models.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 11:43 PM »

get a Standard version first in order to get a baseline for the kite and whether or not it fit your personal style before moving onto lighter models? Am I totally off base here?

I also had the same impression, but since I was told there was no big deal in changing to a UL of another type of kite that's why I decided to move to the Talon UL without having the STD version.

BTW, I have already ordered my Talon UL. I finally made a "max mix" of the ones I liked best and came up with the design below which I really like. I hope it looks as good when I see it physically. It will arrive in about a week!
I can barely wait...    Huh   Huh   Huh

Cheers,

N.

[attachment deleted by admin]

In my bag...
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 12:26 AM »

I like it, the greys and white in Icarex are magical when backlit, you might not think so but the greys gather light and transmit it, the panels just flash as the light angle changes. Plus you'll never tire of looking at a kite with that subdued color scheme and a splash of your favorite color, it's classic.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
bubbles

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 01:54 AM »

I still like it green.  Cool
KSC

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2012, 06:35 AM »

Nice! Congrats, Ara. That one was my favorite.

And thanks for the input, guys. I guess in a perfect world we could test every kite before we purchased it and then decide on STD/UL/SUL, ect.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 12:06 PM »

It's already built! Oooooooooh...   Huh
(Mark's picture below at his workshop)

And on Monday it will start its trip to Barcelona!

Arhg! I cant wait...!   Tongue

N.

[attachment deleted by admin]

In my bag...
KSC

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Holy fast! Damn that looks great. Red/black/grey are my favorite color combos. I'm jealous!  Grin
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 12:51 PM »

Gorgeous!

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 01:51 PM »

It's already built! Oooooooooh...   Huh
(Mark's picture below at his workshop)

And on Monday it will start its trip to Barcelona!

Arhg! I cant wait...!   Tongue

N.

Seriously? Dude!!! Okay, now I am jealous..... but very happy for you. Congratulations!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Thanks!

I only hope that when it arrives the wind around here calms down a little.
Today I went flying my Soul and could barely control it under constant winds of 15mph with some gusts going up to 20 or 22mph...

I think I should have asked for a vented not a UL!   Sad

Well, wind, as life, is not perfect.  Wink

Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography