GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 303 spray? Which one?  (Read 1965 times)
Stevo
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 23, 2012, 01:09 PM »

So I have a couple pieces that are starting to fade pretty bad  Sad
I've read that people use 303 to spray onto their kites and line laundry, but which type?  There's what looks like the original Aerospace Protectant, and now a special Fabric Guard.  Which one seems to work best for kites?

Thoughts?

Stevo
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:18 PM »

wonder how well the cleaner would work?
didnt know they had fabric guard Tongue

Sine Metu!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 04:24 PM »

THey are both pretty much the same thing.  The only real difference is the fabric guard can be used on all types of fabric and doesn't last as long.  The original aerospace protectant gets a bit better, longer lasting results.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 05:18 PM »

aerospace protectant. I grew up around the ocean and have used this product since it first came out as an alternative to a grease some call armorall. It protects a lot of surfaces from drying out and fading from the sun Only drawback is that you really need to get it off before making any kind of repair with ca or repair tape

have fun kurt
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:41 PM »

Keep in mind that Aerospace Protectant can and most likely will change the depth of color a little.

There has been talk of people who have tested AP and other UV protectors and stated that it does not really make a difference on a kite. I'm not saying I agree... just pointing this out.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Stevo

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:56 PM »

Thanks for the comments!

So does 303 leave that sort of greasy slickness that armorall does?  I'm guessing that's why you need to clean it off before making repairs.  Well, I guess I'll just have to pick some up and give it a whirl, afterall, what's the worst that can happen...huh, probably shouldn't have said that...
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:56 PM »

IT doesn't leave the grease residue that armorall does.  In fact, once dry it doesn't feel like there is anything on the kite but you can tell the cloth is a bit more slick.  One misconception is that it will bring back faded color, well no.  IT is strictly a protectant and will not affect the cloth in any way.  It can brighten the color for a bit but once its fully dry you won't notice a change.  Armorall will remove the oxidation and brighten colors but in doing so its removing the fabric coating.  THe caveat with any of these products is useage.  IF  you don't use it often enough it won't make a difference.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 09:42 AM »

We did a lot of testing of 303 on banner fabric a few years ago. In much the same way that Ripstop nylon colors fade in sunlight, so do the colors of our banner fabric.

Before trying 303, we spoke to the manufacturer extensively. The people were very helpful and very honest. They pointed out that even on their website they don't promote any claims regarding use on Ripstop nylon

To quote: "Though it very well may be that 303 Aerospace Protectant's UV Screening properties are effective on Ripstop nylon (303 is effective on nylon in other forms), the company has received no reports of testing by any manufacturer."

303 was developed for use on "solid" surfaces. In other words continuous, non woven surfaces such as plastic, vinyl, etc. The effectiveness on woven fabrics is highly dependant on the quality of the base yarn, the weave density, the coatings used, etc. So much so that 303 prefer not to make any claims.

Our own testing ( 24 hours per day for 14 continuous months) found

1. No noticeable difference in color fade between adjacent treated and non-treated bands in the same lengths of fabric.

2. No noticeable difference in thread durability between adjacent treated and non-treated bands in the same lengths of fabric.

3. No noticeable difference between fabric treated every 6 weeks and fabric treated once at beginning of trial.

4. Noticeable difference in stain resistance between adjacent treated and non treated bands in the same length of fabric.

5. An initial noticeable difference in color brightness between adjacent treated and non-treated bands in the same length of pre-faded sample. HOWEVER, the same effect could be achieve by putting water or machine oil onto a faded sample.

and 6. Brings up the interior of my car REALLY nicely!!

Our conclusion...

Highly dependant on the cloth being treated. It isn't a miracle product for woven cloths, but the manufacturer doesn't claim it to be.

It may be very useful for your requirements, but will be dependent on what sailcloth you apply it to. Sailcloths with a firm coating on the fibres are ideal candidates for experimenting with, but as with any such product, repeated applications are necessary.  It is not a spray once, protect forever product.

Interestingly, it DOES make sailcloths more sand resistant.  Treated kites seem to shed the sand much more readily than untreated kites

Hope this helps!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 10:17 AM »

Try wiping down with hair conditioner.  This is recommended by Lam and I have been doing for a few years and it does crisp up the fabric and it is cheap.  It won't restore but does provide a coating to absorb the UV and O2.

John
Stevo

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50 PM »

Ya, science!  There's even a control sample!
Makes me think though that my best bet may simply be saving the money and letting the fabric fade, since it's going to one way or another  Sad

As for the hair conditioner John...well...I have noticed some of my kites having troubles with split ends...
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 07:22 AM »

But you'll avoid those dreaded tangles...  Roll Eyes

ahhh... sorry, need more coffee...

Bob
Bgywrinkle

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 05:34 AM »

I use 303 on my pink maxi octopus and Zimmerman dragon and have not had any  noticable fading.  Actually, I  buy it by the gallon and use a pesticide sprayer for application.  I believe I get better coverage this way. It may not be a provable effect, but it makes me feel better.

Regards,
Don Tuff

May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.
Stevo

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 08:22 PM »

Is yours the purple and green dragon?  I loooooove that dragon....
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 04:34 AM »

Is yours the purple and green dragon?  I loooooove that dragon....

He he he he he he.....of course you do.......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Bgywrinkle

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 07:40 AM »

It is the purple and green one,  The blue one is out on the west coast as far as I know.

Rolf was at the Saint Honore Quebec festival last year and had 3 of his dragons with him -- quite a sight.

Mine is #3 that he built and he has made some changes in the last ones that I will probably do this winter, Should help to keep the head inflated better.

Sorry for the mini hijack,

Don

May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document