GWTW Forum
June 25, 2016, 02:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: admin@gwtwforum.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I might be back  (Read 866 times)
brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: March 29, 2016, 08:23 PM »

So, I was active into kiting for a few years back at the turn of the century.  A few names on the forum that I still recognize.  Smiley  That was back when I was in Sunnyvale and knew and met Dan, Steve, John, etc.

Then I moved to a place that killed the kiting desire in me.  That was Tucson, AZ.  I did fly a kite there once and a while, but mostly I sold off my collection.  I believe that I sold a few of them to people here, too.  There are many nice things about Tucson, but man, I hated being outside when a hairdryer was cooler than the wind.  I still have a few kites.

As it so happens, I got sick.  Real sick.  Not cancer, but after the chemo, it is currently in remission and of course I reevaluated life.  It took a while, but I moved back up to the Pacific NW.

Now I am in Bothell, which is a small suburb of Seattle.  In moving, I found a box of kites.  Most are broken to some degree.  I want to fix them.  I still have a ton of odds and ends.  The first thing that I do is come here.  I read many of the unread posts.  Things change.  I've changed.  Not necessarily bad.  I've been lurking for about a week.  It surprises me how many dead links there are in the kiting world.  But enough of that.  On to my questions.

I keep seeing references to "new" tricks.  I have old school kites.  I've got Tricktails, Utopias, Revs, and so forth.  I think that I have a few Prism kites, too.  I'm going to start going through the box this week.  The last that I remember, Nirvana was the hot kite.  I think that it had a sliding tail weight in it, but I could be mistaken.  Anyway, I poked around looking for new tricks, but I kept finding the old ones.  What are these "new" tricks?

Where to get parts?  I tried emailing A Wind of Change, but have received no answer back.  It looks like he may be moving, so maybe I just caught him at a bad time.  Any other places?

Are many kite sites basically "dead"?  For example, Kite Bookie hasn't had a post since 2014.  Dave at The Kite Connection used to have a forum, it looks like it isn't there anymore.  This is just curiosity.

Where are good places to fly in Seattle?  I know about Golden Gardens, Kite Hill, and Magnuson.  Are there still kite shops in the area?  There used to be one down in Pioneer Square and one at Gas Works.  Prism used to be by Lake Union.  The best that I have found so far is REI, which is lame (for kites).

Anyway, I am excited to get back into it.  Sorry for the long post.

Brett

formally known as grantb
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 09:20 PM »

Welcome back Brett!

A lot of kite stuff seems to happen on Facebook these days, apparently.

I wouldn't know about that, not being on Facebook.

Check this out: http://www.kiteclique.com/

Fractured Axel in the UK is worth a look, even though it's gone quiet.

http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpbb3/index.php?sid=5ed6cd1b731cbd87bad9f26708b55916

Drachen Forum as well.

https://www.drachenforum.net/

Kite building has been coming on strong of late.

Plenty of guys here will fill you in on that.

Anyway, mostly just saying hello...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:27 PM by JimB » Logged
skb
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:23 PM »

Good to hear from you again, Brett! My memory is sketchy these days, but did you have a lot of Level One kites back in the day?

Sent from my '11 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.13
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:41 PM »

Write all the long posts you want Brett.

Welcome back.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Fly Market
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:13 AM »

Welcome back, Brett. Happy to help you with parts and spars and stuff for fixing up the old kites. Swing by www.flymarketkites.com anytime.
etully
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 04:20 AM »

If you're into Facebook, there are a few groups that you might like:  Stuntkite Classics, Stuntkitetutorials, and Stuntkitevideos.  The later two will clue you in to where freestyle is today.  Oh, and search OSTK (open source trick kite) on youtube to bring up some really good flying with today's hot homebuilt kites.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:26 AM by etully » Logged
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 05:35 AM »

heya heya heya!!!Brett is back and better than eva' heya hyea brett is back!

Good to hear you are up on your feet!   

Banner still waves!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:38 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+37)

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:24 PM »

Hi Brett!

Welcome back to one of the BayLads from another displaced 'Lad!

Another great source for kite parts and kites is Kites and Fun Things, the on-line store for our Sponsor Skyshark. Certainly the best place for tubes (straight from the source) but also lots of other stuff. Jon & Marianne are very helpful and I don't know of anyone else with more sport kite building and repair knowledge than Jon. A great resource.

Allen, AKA kitehead
NWFlyer
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 04:32 PM »

Brett:  Greetings and welcome to the NW.  I'm a relative newcomer to the NW kite scene but have been chasing wind and kites seriously for the past 5+ years in various forms.

I can offer a couple comments and observations to address some of your questions.  There are most certainly fewer kite shops around than there used to be.  As I have gotten into kitemaking, I've found that's mostly an on-line game these days and Fly Market and Kites and Fun Things are a couple of great sources for kites, parts and material.  The Seattle area kite flying locations you mention are still worth a quick fix but I've had more and more conflicts with other folks, dogs and crowding than I ever used to at those places.  It gets frustrating trying to match up a good wind day with a sparse crowd.  We like to fly at Chambers Bay near Tacoma when we can just because it's a really nice, big park that gets some good exposure for wind.  On a nice day the setting is really neat.  Unfortunately that's been off limits to us for some time since the U.S. Open was held there.  They really messed up the flying field area, and have since replanted it, but the last trip I made the field was still ringed with tape to stay out.  I'm hoping that reopens soon.   I admit that's a bit of a run from Bothell but it can be worth it, and on nice weekends you'll generally find some other kite addicts.

I'd be happy to talk kites and other places to try flying at your convenience, and congratulations on overcoming your past difficulties.  Kiting can be a great way to forget some of life's troubles.   NWFlyer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom