GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 06:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nissan Xterra  (Read 866 times)
Zeke
Trade Count: (0)
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:55 PM »

any Xterra Xperts out there??  got a problem with a 2000, 3.3l, V6, that occasionally will not accelerate when gas pedal is depressed but after a few seconds accelerates smoothly; goes into a rough idle from time to time but will smooth out; The hesitation reminds me of the 'old days' when the butterfly in the carb wouldn't open properly..  O2, IAC and  mass airflow sensor replaced.. mileage is high and income is low so I figure it will have to make it through the summer.  occasionally feels uneven on the open road but difficult to tell on some road surfaces. Injector cleaner additives have also been tried.    codes indicated show the antiknock sensor and multiple misfiring.  There doesn't seem to happen at any specific time of day when it happens, weather doesn't seem to be a factor.  thoughts or ideas??  I doubt exorcism of a devil will be necessary but .......
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:30 PM »

You replaced sensors BUT did you check the vacuum lines going to or from those sensors. My company once spent $4000 replacing the MAP sensor, computer, MAF sensor, injectors, fuel filters, ect. The problem? a cracked vacuum hose to the MAP sensor. The first thing supposedly replaced, and it's doubtful even that part was bad since the line that fed it was bad - a .15 cent fix.

Why? Because some shops are set up to fail, the shop it was at (3 times) was a dealer shop where they usially have a diagnostician who figures out what they think is wrong, then a mechanic is paid a flat rate by the time listed in "The Book" to do the fix. The mechanics are not going to spend an extra 20 minutes to tell the diagnostician they found a cracked vacuum hose or spend the extra 20 minutes  to go to the parts dept for 2" of hose and lose valuable time they could be getting paid for doing the next job on the board. They get paid for only the 20 minutes "The Book" says it will take them to replace the MAP sensor and they get paid the same whether the car is fixed or not.

A bad anti nock sensor could be causing the computer to retard the timing and possibly richen up the fuel mixture which could cause your problems. Another easy fix is to check your grounds, discounect the negative battery terminal and clean and check its connection to the engine block, then there should be a chassis ground from the engine to some point on the body/frame and also the ground for the computer which may just be the mounting bolts. Funky DC current can mess with the computer. 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:37 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 04:05 PM »

I agree with Mike 100%, Vacuum line!
Google "xterra vacuum line" lots of references.

Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:59 PM »

Hey Zeke,

Hit me up by e-mail and I'll see if I can help a brother out. 22 years at this game, I ought to be able to think of a thing or two Grin

Lee
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:56 PM »

distributor wiring ok?...
first thought was idle air control.. but you've addressed that.
to check for bad wiring... wait till its dark outside, run the engine with the hood up and see if you can spot any arcing.
Goodluck!

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 07:43 PM »

I have a 2000 xterra v6 as well.  About 2 yrs ago I had to replace the distributor.  It was not acting right and was causing the missing in the engine.  Sounds similar. 

I just dropped another $1000 on it last week on the fan clutch, crankshaft pulley, belts, timing belt and tensioner.  Not cheap but $1000 every 3 yrs is not bad given I don't have any car payments. 
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Oh yeah, the codes all said the same things.  Knock sensor, mass air flow, etc.  I would bet a 50' line set its the distributor.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:03 PM »

Hmmmm .... Distributer .... upper bearing went out on Rhonda's 1997 Nissan Pathfinder, it had the exact same symptoms you've described now that I think about it.

Fix was $7 for a new bearing, don't let them tell you it can't be repaired and you need a complete distributer for $250, we did it in the driveway with the little zipper pouch of tools I carry in my car along with a hammer & vice in Dads garage. Pull off the cap and look inside, does there seem to be a lot of metal particles? On ours it was like a fine orange/bronze dust. I only looked in there suspecting the coil, but once we started pulling the distributer apart from the top to get to the coil we found the dust shield in pieces on the bottom.

Even in the absence of metal dust grab the rotor and try to to move it back and forth, if there's any play there in the shaft you've found the problem. I had the same problem on a Chevy Astro Van, no dust from the bearing but play in the shaft which totally messes with your timing. Two screws hold that cap on and it's right on top of the engine, the diagnosis really is something anybody with a screwdriver can do, rebuilding or replacing the distributer requires a bit more mechanical knowledge.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:21 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document