GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 02:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hypnotized!  (Read 2079 times)
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 11:11 AM »

KSC, you are having fun then Smiley

to avoid tears and wears on your kite right now in the beginners level, do not rub or slide your kite on the sand if it is on it's back (nose away from flier) just put it in launch position and tug on the line un-even to you to make it square rather than trying to make it square to you when it is leaning on its back. This will keep your trailing edge from wearing too soon and protect the back of the kite/sail too.
For trailing edge, do not attempt to fly the kite when you crashed with leading edge on the ground. Unless you are on hard sand and know this recovery method. in the Prism DVD it shows you how to launch in this position, but he is doing it on hard sand and not the corals and crushed shells you have there.
I used Insigna tape myself (bought from Steve here) and it works really well.
Then an important rule for beginners is to give maximum slack to the kite when diving towards the ground. If you need to run, jump forward like a goal keeper, DO IT! Lol this will save you additional expenses in repairs and avoid frustrations Smiley
Then if winds are too high, better keep the kite in the bag and play another game with the kids..i know what it is when you have been bitten by the kite bug but it's not worth it damaging a new kite for this Smiley

As for the bag, get you the sleeve for now and when you reach +3 kites, then you can look into a kite bag..for now save your bucks for another kite....you will soon want another one Wink

B

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
KSC
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 01:38 PM »

Kite bags have a cool-factor, that's for sure. If you've got more than one kite and set of lines, they become a must-have that you'll be able to justify (heh). The thing is, what these guys are talking about is a full length kite sleeve. That'll save you a ton of money right now. You can get them for as low as $4, but our forum host (Steve) has a really nice one for $14 here: Prism Kite Sleeve

Ah, okay. Let me ask this, though. Do most of you guys with kite bags have the kites inside the bag also individually sleeved? In other words, would buying sleeves become redundant when you finally do get a bag?

It's not just dogs you have to worry over -- gotta watch out for four year old little boys who escape their parent's watch. Deadly.

Ha! Yeah, I tried the park out today. There wasn't enough wind, so I quickly packed up, but as I was walking toward the kite two young boys came out of nowhere headed straight for it. I had to quicken my pace to intercept! lol

to avoid tears and wears on your kite right now in the beginners level, do not rub or slide your kite on the sand if it is on it's back (nose away from flier) just put it in launch position and tug on the line un-even to you to make it square rather than trying to make it square to you when it is leaning on its back. This will keep your trailing edge from wearing too soon and protect the back of the kite/sail too.

For trailing edge, do not attempt to fly the kite when you crashed with leading edge on the ground. Unless you are on hard sand and know this recovery method. in the Prism DVD it shows you how to launch in this position, but he is doing it on hard sand and not the corals and crushed shells you have there.
I used Insigna tape myself (bought from Steve here) and it works really well.

Ah, I never thought of this. Thank you. I will keep that in mind next time. I had my wife with me yesterday, so she set me back up half the time while the other half I just made took the walk myself. I only dragged the kite around a few times to attempt the "cartwheel" retrieval, but I wasn't able to do it.

Then an important rule for beginners is to give maximum slack to the kite when diving towards the ground. If you need to run, jump forward like a goal keeper, DO IT! Lol this will save you additional expenses in repairs and avoid frustrations Smiley

Haha! I definitely will remember this! Most of the time it just happened so fast I wasn't able to react. I'll be on my toes from now on.  Cheesy

As for the bag, get you the sleeve for now and when you reach +3 kites, then you can look into a kite bag..for now save your bucks for another kite....you will soon want another one Wink

I already have 2 more coming soon!  Grin
[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:40 PM by KSC » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 02:23 PM »

Way cool  Wink
My first dual line was a Hypnotist.
Great kite to learn on.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 04:53 PM »

with  my  Kites  the  kite  goes in  the   sleeve  then   the  sleeve    goes  in   the   bag    and    my  advice  is  always  store  the kite  in a  sleeve  even   while  in the    bag   keeps   all the     bridles and   part  for  that   kite   from  either being    tried  up  in  a  knot  on the    bridle   or  trying  to  figer  out   what    rod   goes   with   what  kite.     Welcome to the  forum  and  welcome  to  the  fun    and      smiles  of  kite   flying   

Good air always Bobby
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 05:25 PM »

If Steve still has some available, this is one of the best bags for the price.   http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=45

Only draw back is you can only hold 5 kites if you put a lot of stuff in the pocket.  !0 if you add a pocket on the outside like I did.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 12:21 AM »

Ah, okay. Let me ask this, though. Do most of you guys with kite bags have the kites inside the bag also individually sleeved? In other words, would buying sleeves become redundant when you finally do get a bag?
Kite into sleeve, sleeved kite into bag.... for all of the reasons Bobby (st3307) mentioned. Plus there will be times when you just want to grab a kite for a fast trip to the park.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
KSC

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 10:22 AM »

Sounds good. Thanks, guys.

I'll pick up a few sleeves now and then see about a bag in the near future. I think the Hypno will be sufficient as a 2-line stunt flyer for a while. There are others I'd like to get, of course, but I don't really see a need to beat up multiple, and more expensive, kites at this stage. Right now I'm just looking to add single lines to my collection so the rest of the family can get in the air as well.

Thanks again, everyone

edit: Quick question, I attempted to go out again yesterday, but wasn't able to get off the ground. I'm thinking that having a low wind kite would be a good idea. I've seen plenty of reviews on my available options, so I won't re-ask the same old questions, but what I wanted to know is would getting a 4D be detrimental for me while learning? In other words would the smaller size this early in the game make it awkward when going back and forth between the Hypno or should I just get something full sized? The only thing that bothers me about the latter isn't the extra money so much, just that I don't really want to put a $200+ kite through the rigors of a beginner.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:11 PM by KSC » Logged
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 04:48 PM »

KSC, if you can (on purpose Wink) keep the Hypno off the ground in good wind then you are going to be fine with a 4D, the 4D flown in light wind will teach you much about foot work, a most undervalued aspect of good freestyle flying.

Pick a colour and press the button  Cool

WD

WinterDaze AoF
KSC

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 05:21 PM »

Yeah, that makes a lot sense. It seemed like the logical choice to me as well, I just wanted to be sure there wasn't anything full-sized in the same price range thereabouts before pulling the trigger. I've seen some comments on here about the 4D being a fun kite for those that already knew what they were doing or for younger flyers just starting out, I just wasn't sure if the smaller size was going to hinder me somehow, ya know?
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 06:36 PM »

They are all different, some more so than others, these 2 will be quite different beasts, not a bad thing but now you know, the 4D uses inputs close to that of writing a letter, where the Hypno inputs are similar to bagging nails into wood...

I wouldn't say 'hinder' per se, more along the lines of 'offering a more considered journey'...

HTH

WD

WinterDaze AoF
KSC

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 07:08 PM »

Ah, great analogy. I will keep that in mind.

For now, I'm thinking maybe I'm getting a bit overzealous. I'm going to get out there with the Hypno for a few weeks and get some more flying time under my belt before I go ahead and invest too heavily into the hobby. So far, I'm really loving it, but I should make sure it really sticks before getting too crazy, you know? I have a tendency to do that on occasion.

Thank you for the advice.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 08:42 PM »

at this stage of the game I say stick with the hypno. reason being is you need to learn the lighter inputs it takes to keep a kite in the air in lower winds. the 4d is a fun kite but you dont want to use it as a crutch to make things easier and not learn the finer aspects of a kite with limited load on the sail. this is JMO . but and as always HAVE FUN KO PS there are alot of sul's out there better than the 4D
sorry Mark

have fun kurt
KSC

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 04:59 PM »

That's what I initially figured. It just seemed to me like "no wind" flying is something you learn when you already know what you're doing already. Not that you can't learn on a 4D, I'm just thinking at this stage in the game, being that winds near my house are so inconsistent, it's totally possible I'd end up logging more hours on the 4D than the Hypno. Like you said, that could be a bit crutchy.

I don't even know what I want, but I do feel like a UL would be nice to have. The shore, where the winds are great, is over 90mins away. I can only go there on weekends and I'm really itching to fly more. I was thinking about a Zephyr, but that's not really a UL, either. Besides, I really shouldn't be abusing $200+ kites. Oh well, no need to rush it. I'll get there eventually.
KSC

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 06:58 PM »

So, how long does it take exactly before you can tell, just by looking out the window, that it's not worth attempting to fly? That damned wind has been playing me for the fool all week! I see it moving in the trees, waving flags, and I feel it on my face, yet when I trek out to the field, set up my kite, and unwind my lines, I'm left standing there like a boob tugging on an anchor with two chains. Frustrating.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 09:23 PM »

So, how long does it take exactly before you can tell, just by looking out the window, that it's not worth attempting to fly? That damned wind has been playing me for the fool all week! I see it moving in the trees, waving flags, and I feel it on my face, yet when I trek out to the field, set up my kite, and unwind my lines, I'm left standing there like a boob tugging on an anchor with two chains. Frustrating.

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Yup. It took me about a week of flying to realize I needed a light wind kite. I think my first light wind kite was an HQ Floater. Not a great name, maybe something lost in the translation... I had the luck of finding a NikNak soon after, and I was hooked on light wind flying. You should get a 4D because it's cheap, and will fly in ZERO wind up to 7+mph. Even though the 4D is small, it will help your flying. The inputs you learn flying the 4D smoothly will help you to easily fly any kite smoothly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document