GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 12:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Widowmaker v Solus  (Read 1848 times)
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: April 27, 2012, 02:08 PM »

Could someone please let me know the differences between the two and which they prefer? Thanks H Cool
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:40 PM »

When I wear my red shirt, I prefer the Widowmaker, when I wear blue, the Solus. Smiley

No really.....

Ok, both of these kites are incredible and you won't be disappointed with either one.  The Widow Maker is one of my all time favorite kites, I own 4 of them.  It is smooth and incredibly forgiving.  Tricks are precise and the control through the rotations is steady and consistent.  I have been flying my Widow Makers for a couple years now and still learn new things on them.  They can do much more than I am capable of doing.  I don't think you will ever grow out of them.

The Solus is a large wing that flies like a 3/4 stunter.  It has the same characteristics as the Widow Maker and is also more capable of things than I am a pilot.  The Solus excels in short, fast hand movements.  It is quick on the tricks while being large and precise on the eyes.  It pitches much quicker than the WM does which allows for insane roll-ups and even milti's.  For a big winged kite, it pitches exceptionally well.  Turns are sharp and precise but you need to make sure your hand skills are up to par.  It is more sensitive to inputs than the Widow Maker but once you get your timing and hand controls down, this is a super fun kite to fly.  It corners ultra sharp and punch turns are fast and exciting.  Straight lines are clean and direct.

Both of these kites have an incredible wind range, standards can easily fly down into the 4mph range with nearly zero work.  With skills and foot work, you can fly them into the 3mph range.  The UL's can fly down to 2mph with little foot work and can hit into that 1mph range if you want to do some serious foot work.

As for suggestion....
It kind of depends on your flying style as to which one you would like best.  If you want a faster pitching kite that tracks very well and uses shorter aggressive inputs, the Solus is a very exciting kite to fly and it rocks.  If you want a kite that likes sweeping hand movements and smooth forgiving control, the Widow Maker is one of the best kites you can buy.

I wouldn't be upset if I was stranded somewhere with either one of these kites.

It really comes down to what colors and panel layouts do you like best?? Smiley

KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:17 AM »

... If you want a faster pitching kite that tracks very well and uses shorter aggressive inputs, the Solus is a very exciting kite to fly and it rocks.  If you want a kite that likes sweeping hand movements and smooth forgiving control, the Widow Maker is one of the best kites you can buy.

100% agree!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:10 AM »

UK taste alert:  If you are going to share a field with me get the Solus; I really do not like the layout of the WM. Wink Cheesy

Sounds like the Solus is more your 'cup of tea' anyway, Harv

Actually get both and I'll put my prejudices aside and check them out with you.  I've always liked the look of the way both kites fly.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:37 AM »

I can't say it any better than gamelord.  I love my solus set and most people that have tried mine have been surprised at how agile it is for its size.  BUt I will happily grab the lines of a WM anychance I get.  Couesr I want to step on  it and make sure it dead first Lol
harveystubbs

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:57 AM »

Thanks for the comments .... this gives a really good idea of the two.

I like the purple wm but am not sure about the other colours. The colour combos look better on the solus.

Jon - Very funny  Roll Eyes Comments taken on board.
jaydub

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:08 AM »

How much does the Solus load up as the wind increases?  What is the reasonable top end of the wind range for tricking?

I loved my Sin, but found it very challenging above ~8mph.  Really sweet kite below though.
harveystubbs

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:22 AM »

I have the same problem with the NSE. Too much sail for higher winds !  Roll Eyes
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:43 AM »

I would say top end depends on how much you want to move.  I've flown my standard in 18+ and it holds up well but for me I can trick it up to 12 easily and 15 with some movement.  THe UL comfortably flies up to 12 and stays pretty trickable.  Ideal range for the standard is 4-12 =/- 1-2 , UL 2-10.  Flyable range with some tricks is 3-18 std, 1-14 UL.  THe UL starts to get over stressed around 13 , std around 22 (wing tip shudder).  Comfortable range for me is 4-15 STD, 1-10 UL.  Comfortable range for Devin, well, when a rod breaks during a trick then the wind is too much for the particular kite lol.  I've seen him trick my ul in 15 mph (and I was cringing the whole time Tongue)
harveystubbs

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 01:35 PM »

Thanks for this ..... very precise !

Jon you could be right about the wm .... I like my stuff pitchy and tricky as you know ! Cool
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:42 PM »

Thanks for the comments .... this gives a really good idea of the two.

I like the purple wm but am not sure about the other colours. The colour combos look better on the solus.

Jon - Very funny  Roll Eyes Comments taken on board.

I love my Purple Widowmaker, it was my first choice but I will mention that in gray overcast conditions it is the hardest kite to see its orientation when tricking, there just isn't much contrast there. Our second Widowmaker is color choice #3 that I call sunrise, that yellow/orange fade stands out nicely. Jon will do customs too if you want to play with the colorizer.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change