GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 10:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History of the "modern" Stunt Kite  (Read 5894 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 09:51 AM »

There is a very good history on the old GWTW. Someone should be able to dig it out & post it here.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 11:43 AM »

Dunford's "Flying Machine" would be interesting to see.  Conyne style controllable kite.  Anyone have one or a picture of one? 

Also, I think DG is right with Steve Eideken's Rainbow kite. 

What about the Flexifoil?  Came out about the same time. 

Hyperkites?
Avenger?

1.Dunford's Flying Machine
2.Peter Powell
3.Rainbow Kite
??

Action Kites - Action 20, Avenger and Hawaiian Top of the Line - Dan Tabor split with John Perusue of Action and took his designs with him - Team Chevron, Spin Off, North Shore  Tim Benson - Phantom, defined the shape of modern sport kites
 Skynasaur - Tracer, opened up a new era of trick ability
 Flexifoil - Stranger & Psycho, expanded trick ability even further then the Tracer into the radical zone
 Dodd Gross - Jam Session, widely distributed, vastly popular, very capable trick kite and a bit more civilized then the Stranger/Psycho
Radian and later the Eclipses and Illusions
Neos Omega/Revolution, and the Quadrifoil by Ted Dourghtey
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:52 AM by SKITCH » Logged

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

ďI fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.Ē

Charlie Dunton
pfouts
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 01:14 PM »

An short oldie but a goodie on this topic.

http://www.khite.org/khite/Views/Rants/freestyle.htm
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 06:22 PM »

quite a few fliers got their start on the Flying Wings Beetle, a great affordable & durable beginner's kite.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 07:05 PM »

Nice article Paul

After Peter Powell, I would add the Rainbow Stunt Kite.

At 9 and 10, I'd note the Neos Omega/Revolution, and the Quadrifoil by Ted Dourghtey.

dg

I might keep the Glite as number 1, its being the first controllable kite on the market that weíve been able to identify.

I agree the Rainbow deserves mention after the Peter Powell but why? It's similar in design to the Peter Powell. By similar Iím pointing out that most all the kites of this period were loosely based off the Rogallo Flexi-Kite. As I mentioned above Rogalloís design was developed in the 1940ís and further developed through the 1950ís & 60ís as a controllable parachute or more accurately a glider and although he experimented with its control features as a kite he never did to my knowledge bring it to market as anything other than a single line kite so although important and inspirational it wasnít widely known.

But nobody has given a reason for including the Rainbow so Iíll give one.

The Rainbow was the first stunt kite packaged as multiple-kites, being sold in 3, 6 & 12 stacks I think. It was surely not the first stunter to be stacked, but the first stack to market. Nothing draws attention like a stack with tails, which drew a lot of attention to kiting so I agree it was an influential kite. I have an original Ediken 6 stack of Rainbows and a spare or two along with a bunch of extra aluminum rods, heavy front frameset, etc.

Another kite worth mentioning in the same era could be the TRLBY, more a true diamond/eddy rather than a Rogallo and able to fly in much lower winds, 5 MPH compared to 10. I flew TRLBY's because the Powellís could seldom be flown here in our inland winds, but I wanted Hyperkites thinking they were the coolest looking. But then the Avenger came to our local store and I soon forgot about these little diamond & delta shaped kites.

Some of the other names at the time? Aerobat, Skynasaur, Sky Cat & Sky-Ro-Gyro, Sky Tiger, Windjammer and Iím sure many more, my first was by Gayla but I donít recall the name. 

Pretty sure the Radian was Prism's first kite to market, and a logical evolution. The first succesful Stunt Kites were based off the Rogallo Flexi-Kite which had found another use by the 1970's more in keeping with Rogallo's 1960's developments financed by NASA. It was the basis for the growing sport of Hang Gliding. But by the 1980's Hang Gliders were evolving into high aspect ratio delta's with airfoil shaped wings using battens. How similar is the Radian to those new hang gliders?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:11 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 04:46 AM »

Gardner, Ray Bordelon of Big Easy Kite fame is generally credited with the Dynamic bridle.

My picks for important kites in the evolution of "modern" STUNT kites would be:

NSR
Tracer
Masque
Eclipse
Stranger
Gemini
Nirvana

Slow Dog

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 04:49 AM »

1.Dunford's Flying Machine

This is new to me. My web search found this fine article:
http://gddweb.org/dfm1.html

All very interesting. However, on page three, Mr. Dunford writes
The Dunford Flying Machine is not a "stunter"

which may preclude its appearance in your list.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 05:28 AM »

Ya'all might wanna read this too.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 05:56 AM »

Mike.

I just did...and I sounded like a real cyber douche in 2006.  Sheez.  Shut that guy up already.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 05:58 AM »

There's a bit of a problem with the answer to this question.  The results will be different from region to region.  Each country has had it's own progression unless the kites have been widely distributed.  The world wide distributed kites get noted more often as trend setters but depending on the area you are in the answer could be different.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 09:26 PM »

Mike.

Great thread, thanks. I especially enjoyed the post from Mobius detailing the timeline for the developement of tricks and relationship to the introduction of certain kites.

I wonder if he'd mind if somebody quoted it over to here?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:28 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DaveH
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 06:47 AM »

That was an amazing read. So easy to view this sort of thing merely from your own perspective.  Thanks for sharing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change