GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 10:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Info on the Silver Fox 2.3 UL PRO  (Read 2164 times)
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: April 30, 2012, 03:50 PM »

Anyone have specifications on this new kite?  I have not been able to find any info as yet.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:18 PM »

Anyone have specifications on this new kite?  I have not been able to find any info as yet.

I am tempted to pass this through LMGTFY but I must be feeling.... generous.

Specifications:
Skill Level     Intermediate - Advanced
Wingspan     90" x 35"
Wind Range  1 - 10 mph
Speed          Medium
Pull              Light
Frame          New Dynamic 12, T15
Tail Weight    0.6 oz
Ballast          0.2 oz
Weight         11.1 oz
Sail              Ventex Polyester & Mylar

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:39 PM »

Wasn't the pro std icarex?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Every item is listed as a POS.  Huh

That was my opinion of the regular SF series.

The Pro line looks much nicer.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 05:09 PM »

John, you flew the Pro and said it was very nice.  Darren loved it.  I have it still in my bag should you ever want to give it another test run.

(Correction John....., just realized it is the Pro UL, I have the Pro standard)

As for sail material, Icarex is a brand name of ripstop Polyester, currently owned and distributed through VliegerOP of Holland.  Several material manufacturers produce Ripstop Polyester material but it is branded under their own companies name (such as Texlon or others...).  The brand choice that a manufacturer chooses usually comes down to cost and colors (mostly colors).  If Icarex (THE COMPANY) does not currently produce a certain color (like orange or pink or whatever), the kite manufacturer may use another brands material to achieve the desired layout they are looking for.  Even though it is not actually "Icarex" (THE COMPANY BRAND), it is still a ripstop polyester material and maintains the same quality characteristics (or close enough, sometimes better, sometimes not).

ICAREX is not a type of material, it is a brand name....kind of like saying all Jeans being warn are "LEVI'S" when in fact, some may actually be wranglers...but they are all denim materials.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:11 PM by Gamelord » Logged

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:04 PM »

I did like the PRO version of the Silver Fox Kent.

My wording was vague, sorry.

I did not like the regular series of SF kites.

Looking forward to flying a PRO UL if it ever becomes available.

The PRO standard was much better than the first ones.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:16 PM »

I was going to post this information in a separate thread but thought this might be better. A slight hijack, yes.

I bought a used Std and Vented and really did not care for them at all. Granted, I only flew the vented once or twice as it really needs a good 12-15mph wind. I broke out the vented a few months back in some high wind and really started to like it. A few weeks later I went back to the Std and really started to like it as well. It was strange as now it's turned into the kite I _really_ want to fly as often as possible. I suppose it's because I don't have too many kites cut like the SF's and they turn out to be a welcome change. I had a few friends who flew them for the first time and they liked them as well. I think adjustments to the bridle can make a big difference on how the kite flies.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 05:02 AM »

Thanks Mike, for the specs . I had the 2.5 UL,and now have the PRO Std, both of which I find flies very good. The PRO UL should be very interesting.
justinpwheeler

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:02 AM »

Thank you for the material clarification. 
kepople

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 06:32 PM »

so what is the type of material on the regular SF's?

I have the purple 2.3 and I have never seen that purple anywhere else...
I am still beginning, but the SF 2.3 let me do some things this weekend I have had trouble with.
I too am ready to fly it again...
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 02:43 PM »

I think adjustments to the bridle can make a big difference on how the kite flies.
Ah, somebody else has discovered the (not so secret) success to the SF performance.

I think that was the case as I really did not like at all how it flew. I changed the bridle settings a few times and then put it away for awhile. Got it out about a month ago and now all of a sudden I'm really liking it. Heck, maybe I should break out my old CdC and see how it flies. Cheesy

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Chadster73
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 10:27 PM »

Weight:  11.1 oz
Am I reading that right?  Is that what the kite will weigh as a UL?  That's heavier than the Solus STD which has a wingspan of 100 inches.  That can't be right can it?
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 02:20 AM »

Am I reading that right?  Is that what the kite will weigh as a UL?  That's heavier than the Solus STD which has a wingspan of 100 inches.  That can't be right can it?
THats becoming common Chad.  A lot of UL's are sitting in the 10-12 oz range with the ballast and tail weigh in for better tricks.  But that makes them more "light Std" than true UL which on the older kites seemed to run in the 7-9 oz range and 4-5 oz for SUL. Without the added weight they fall more into the true UL weight range. Jon's kites do tend to be lighter overall than most which is why they also tend to fly lower than the stated range with good performance. JUst a difference in design ideals between them though.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:08 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 04:54 AM »

Am I reading that right?  Is that what the kite will weigh as a UL? 

Seems a bit odd... the standard SF Pro is quoted as 11.5 oz.  The difference between the weight of the T18/15 frame set of the standard and the T15/12 of the UL should be more than 0.4 oz (11 grams).  Maybe not much, but I would think around 0.6 oz, so I'm surprised FW don't quote 10. something.

That's heavier than the Solus STD which has a wingspan of 100 inches.

Quite possibly. The frame makes up the bulk ( pun not intended) of the kite's weight.  The Dynamic rods are rather heavy when compared to the commonly used Skysharks for kites of similar size and quoted wind range.  It is difficult to shave much more than a gram or two when lightening up the sail of a sport kite, unless you make it fragile

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
kepople

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 08:42 AM »

Everyone's trying to talk me out of one of these :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change