GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 02:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's in your kite bag (besides kites)?  (Read 1555 times)
KSC
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 02, 2012, 01:55 PM »

Looking back, I realize that I was rather ill-equipped on my first day out. I was able to improvise by using a stray piece of driftwood (and my wife) for a makeshift stake, and thankfully field repairs were not necessary, but I'd like to be better prepared on my next outing, so I was looking to put together a list of essentials. Basically anything and everything you guys bring with you "just in case". I can't imagine the list would be too extensive, but lets try to make it as comprehensive as possible. Maybe one of those "if you were stranded on a island..." type things.

So far, I'm thinking:

IN THE BAG

-Sunglasses
-Hat
-Sun screen (learned this the hard way)
-Water
-Stakes
-CA glue
-Ferrules
-First-aid kit (for humans not kites)
-Surveyors tape
-Line EQ
-Camera/tripod

IN THE GARAGE (Unless you only have one kite)

-Extra spars
-Nocks
-Patches
-Tape (tedlar/ensignia)
-CA glue
-Scissors
-Hacksaw
-Utility knife

Of course most of these items can eliminated by having an extra kite(s), but I figured for the sake of thoroughness, it couldn't hurt to have them in a pinch.

Anything else you can think of?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:24 AM by KSC » Logged
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:06 PM »

sun    glasses     and  sun screen  are  a  must  a  nice  hat    and  lot   of    water     the  other  stuff  I  do  not   carry   with  me  repairs   are   made  at   hoime  if  a  kite  is   broken   while  flying     so  they  can  be  done    right    but  then  I  carry  extra   kites   with  me  also    but  that  is   Just  my  .02 cent   worth 

Good air always Bobby
sluggo
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:11 PM »

hat
lighter, for melting frayed edges of stuff (but be very careful)
pocket hobby saw, pen, masking tape if you'll be cutting spars from full length stock

But I don't carry any of the repair stuff any more - after acquiring a few kites, I think it's much more fun to just pack up the broken one and fly another one. Also, after a while, breaking things becomes much more of the rare exception.
KSC

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 02:28 PM »

Yeah, I kinda figured most major repairs were done at home and not on the spot. Maybe I should break it down into two lists then. One for stuff to bring with you and another for the workbench at home.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:35 PM by KSC » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 02:41 PM »

I usually only make it out for an hour or 2, here is my typical list of what I take to the field:

- Fearless Light (mostly) (or another kite based on the wind forecast)
- 100# Skybond line set
- iPhone/earbuds
- hat
- water

My car is parked close to the field, so I can stash some items there if I need to, but other than perhaps a few other kites and line sets, I don't generally have much else in it.

6 kite tom
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 04:21 PM »

If not a full-blown First Aid kit, at least a boo-boo kit. 

Nothing puts a damper on the day worse than a headache you can't shake or allergies to fresh cut grass.

ATB,
Sam
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 06:22 PM »

Ferrules in the repair kit. Doesn't hurt to have a couple in the kite bag if you only have 1 or 2 kites, I have field repaired a comp kite with a clean break by glueing  a ferrule inside the spar with super glue, if your kite uses external ferrules grab a couple of those too.

A roll of surveyors tape can come in handy and is cheap, use it to mark SLK lines if you stake them, makes a quick tail for a childs unstable kite, tie a short piece to your stake to find it easier, etc.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:44 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 01:02 AM »

An MI6 codebreaker

KSC

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 04:51 AM »

Very helpful. Thanks, guys. First-aid kit is a must and great points on the surveyors tape, Mike.

An MI6 codebreaker

I'll leave that one as optional. lol

Something occurred to me last night while looking through an "A bag" thread in here. Rather than make another thread called, "What do you do with your kite bag while you're flying your kite?", let me ask that question here. Some of your guy's bags can have $2K+ worth of kites in there at any given time. Isn't it a little risky having all your stuff on the ground of a potentially crowded area while your eyes are in the sky? Do you generally keep the bulk locked in your car and just take them out one at a time? What if you're parking a great distance?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:54 AM by KSC » Logged
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 05:30 AM »

Very helpful. Thanks, guys. First-aid kit is a must and great points on the surveyors tape, Mike.

An MI6 codebreaker

I'll leave that one as optional. lol

Something occurred to me last night while looking through an "A bag" thread in here. Rather than make another thread called, "What do you do with your kite bag while you're flying your kite?", let me ask that question here. Some of your guy's bags can have $2K+ worth of kites in there at any given time. Isn't it a little risky having all your stuff on the ground of a potentially crowded area while your eyes are in the sky? Do you generally keep the bulk locked in your car and just take them out one at a time? What if you're parking a great distance?

Best answer is never fly alone on a crowded beach, or anywhere that you can't see or get to your kites in 30 seconds or less..............It's just like anything else......know your area, know the type of people around (probably don't have to worry about fellow kiters..we're all pretty cool Embarrassed) and always keep things under lock and key.  Or get a great big rabid dog and train him/her to guard icarex. Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
ghfisanotti

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 05:51 AM »

I'd add: a variety of line sets (duals, quads, various lengths and weights), handles and stake for the quads, compact camera and a light tripod (if the wind is really nice, I may get some footage for the next Virtual Freestyle :-).

Gerardo.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:53 AM »

Oskar Blues...some type of it

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
KSC

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 11:21 AM »

I read the top of that can as, "kiting on a tail wind". I was like, "No way?! They even have their own beer!"  Cheesy

I don't drink, but I'd love me a Corgi. Beautiful dogs. They can also protect the bag!

@ghfisanotti: Yup, camera is a great suggestion.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:23 AM by KSC » Logged
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 02:29 PM »

Add in a pair of old shoes (in a plastic bag) for flying so you can change them and don't make the inside of your car dirty when driving back home.
I always keep those shoes in the trunk of my car (rather than in the kite bag). They can get really full of sand if you fly at the beach or of mud if you are in a field.

Also a small anemometer. Really useful. If there's no wind it tells you so. If it is too windy it tells you so. Plus, you look real pro when checking the wind speed...  Wink  Wink  Wink

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 06:47 PM »

I have some of the prettiest beaches where I fly and I am really a laid back guy when I can get away from work, so my list is different.

Sun tan spray or lotion, beer in the cooler, maybe some water, Marley's Mellow Mood, sun glasses, maybe my hat, 2 or 3 line sets, knock caps, straps.  I have my beach chair and a towel usually.  Kind of nice to dip in the water between flying.  My beach usually has at most 30 people on it, so it's pretty quiet and laid back there.

I'm spoiled stupid here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document