GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 10:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's in your kite bag (besides kites)?  (Read 1432 times)
KSC
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 06:52 AM »

What kinds I'd shades are you guys wearing? I gotta assume when you're looking at the sky for 6+ hours you don't want a $10 pair from Walmart. I really don't to drop $100+ on Raybans, either. Are there any good UV glasses in the mid-range or is this just one of those things you don't cheap out on?
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 07:15 AM »

Just beware of the UV ratings, many glasses state they provide 100% UV protection but that is only UVA which any piece of glass or plastic will block or shift. You need protection from UVB also which requires a bit more tech then dollar store glasses. Protection from UVC hasn't been proven as a requirement or infared radiation. But I wear Revo's which provide 100% protection from UVA, UVB, UVC & Infrared, but one of the original attractions to them has been negated now so I'm still using a 20 year old pair. They used to pass 50% more visible light then other sunglasses and I could actually see out of them, but they all have polarization now which by itself blocks 50% of the light then when you add the dyes they are too dark. You dont want to know what they cost but a good pair of glasses is worth it in my book.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
KSC

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 08:14 AM »

I figured as much. Just wishful thinking on my part that there'd be a good budget option. I should have known better from all the guys on car forums who constantly ask. "Are these $40 tires any good?!". They never are. There's just some places you don't skimp.

Thanks for the info. I would not have gotten a $10 pair, regardless, but I probably would have gotten something in the $75-100 range thinking I had the right amount of protection.

You dont want to know what they cost

I couldn't help myself. Google told the tale. Ouch.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:15 AM by KSC » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography