GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 01:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something new.  (Read 805 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: May 02, 2012, 07:53 PM »

In a small act of lunacy, I began drafting some sail patterns in AutoCAD a while back.  The plan is not mine... this is the outline of Ian Newham's (our moderator for this portion of the forum) Thornback II.  He told me a year or so ago through a casual thread reply that he had no qualms with me doing whatever I wanted with the plans. I've remember this and figured I'd take what he did and put my own pattern on it.  My only experience with the kite is with an 85% version I built (my second sport kite build)... also with my own sail pattern and pictured below.  At that time, I didn't realize what a critical mistake it was to build a reduction without modifying some variable.  The result of my 85% build was disappointing in the air and I ended up giving it away to the Bernina dealership where I picked up my used sewing machine.  They now display it as an example of "kite building using their product" (and there it will stay, as it is pretty to look at, but should probably never be flown by anyone again).

Anyway, here's a photo of the failed 85% version (custom sail pattern from a couple of years ago) and the color layout for my full size custom pattern that is officially on the cutting table at this time. Comments welcome. 

inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:15 AM »

Shame it didn't fly well, its certainly pretty. I cut a 85% sail to see how bad it was without adding a little to the billow (usually a must when reducing a kite) but its sat there un-sewn for ages  Roll Eyes

That new layout does look good but I can't help thinking that layout would probably lend itself to an attempt at broadseaming.

BTW what you said about modifying plans, anyone can do whatever with them especially if you send me a photo  Cool Although the design is a bit long in the tooth now; there are much better, modern kites around.

sugarbaker

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:12 AM »

I know the design has been around for a while... but I really like the way it looks.  I also have never been able to stop watching the video (pretty much the only one of this kite that has any substance) that is posted on your site.  I've built pretty much all of the most recent open source kites and do appreciate how capable most of them are (especially the B'zar 2011... love that thing).  That being said, I build what I like... and I like the Thornback. 

For those who don't know what video I'm talking about:

Newham Thornback
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:58 AM »

ISTR that one was built with a 6mm pultrude frame and a ripstop nylon sail, Rob said it was slow to roll up and reluctant comete - build one in Icarex & P200 and it gets a lot more responsive.

There are a couple of other videos of an orange one and a black one somewhere out there

sugarbaker

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:02 AM »

I will be using PC31 and a skyshark frame (p200 leading edges and Nitro lower spreader).  I have to cut one more template piece (ran out of the material I use and won't get to the store until next week sometime).  Otherwise, the build should be pretty straight forward!
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 01:02 PM »

nice story

i like the blue layout a lot!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum