Doug Stout's stunt kite design tool
(1/5) > >>
RonG:
Anyone remember Doug Stout, and his mathematical approach to kite design?  Doug gave me a copy of the article he wrote about it circa 1995, and if memory serves there was a spreadsheet to go along with it as well.

He produced some interesting kites and was an active competitor on the US circuit back in the day.
Doug S:
Ron,

Thank you for remembering me.  A few years ago I got back into kiting for the fun of it and built an updated 7-foot version of my Raptor (1995), called the Bird of Prey (2009).  I am very thankful to Jon at Sky Burners for helping me select the framing materials from his great SkyShark tubes for the two versions of the kite (Standard and Light Wind).  This past winter I started updating my old Geokite Program in the current version of Excel, which was originally written in Lotus 1-2-3.  The updated version will hopefully be able to capture and model the effects of the tail weight and active bridles in the current breed of stunt kites.  The update is currently on hold, since I have been expanded my kite enthusiasm into the world of no wind delta and canard soaring kites, where I also use Geokite to assist in the design process.

For those who have not seen my old article, the Geokite programís main focus was to calculate aerodynamic centers of our unique flying platforms (i.e. geometry), while also calculating the center of mass for each component and mass balance of the design, so that you can estimate the final weight of the kite prototype and have it balance at the desired center of gravity and static margin.  The program also calculates a three point bridle as an excellent starting point for each design.  Since kite materials can be quite costly, the program saved me quite a bit of construction time and materials.  I only needed one prototype for each of my subsequent stunt kite designs that were sold under my boutique kite company, Falcon Aero Designs:  Falcon-SL (1992), Talon (1993), Talon-2M (1994), Raptor (1995).  In the fall of 1990 to the spring of 1991, it did take numerous modeled stunt kite designs for each prototype and 10 actual prototypes to calibrate and refine the program.  During this time, I experimented with using a leach line that was used in the 6th prototype, which also had a high aspect ratio.  The results of this initial work allowed me to develop my first contest ready stunt kite design (10th prototype) called the Falcon (1991), which I introduced to the stunt kite community while competing at the 1991 Wildwood, New Jersey Event.  With the Falcon, I also introduced the concept of a totally silent kite by using of a leach line, and all of my subsequent stunt kite designs used a leach line.

In closing, I wish to thank Ron for introducing me to this forum, which continues to be a great location for me to understand how our kiting community keeps pushing the envelope of designs with the incredible materials that we have to work with.  While working with Jon, I also acquired one his excellent Solus Stunt Kites.  Ron also introduced me to Will Sturdy and I have acquired one of Will's excellent Sabre II Stunt Kites.  This year I am hoping I can teach these old hands some new tricks.  Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Doug Stout
Cydonia:
Is it possible to have a look to this article & the program????
Doug S:
This excellent forum does not let one post a PDF file, which is the format my article is in.
zippy8:
Quote from: Doug S on April 26, 2012, 05:00 PM

This excellent forum does not let one post a PDF file, which is the format my article is in.

Verily thou canst post a link unto a PDF.

Mike.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page