GWTW Forum
September 23, 2014, 09:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to fly in Oahu Hawaii  (Read 4072 times)
LookOut
Trade Count: (0)
« on: May 14, 2009, 08:18 PM »

Im military and i fly dual line stunt kites for a few years, i have been stationed in Oahu Hawaii, just wondering if anyone knows a good safe beach to fly on were there are not to many people. I was thinking most likely on the south shore somewhere because of the direction of the wind.

So if anyone has any good spots let me know
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:08 AM »

I first met a gentleman named Rod and a lady named Zam at Sandy Beach, HI (HI ROD & ZAM - YOU GUYS STILL AROUND?) on the south shore of Oahu.  There is a kite store (High Performance Kites) that was flying there and I understand it was a regular activity for the store and some of their customers.  Not sure if this still applies or if the store still exists.  I was last there in 2002.  Worth checking out.

Regardless, there is a nice grassy area off the beach.  Here is a link with some information: http://oahu.aloha-hawaii.com/activities/sandy+beach/

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:04 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

You stationed Schofield or Shafter?  If Schofield you might want to look for flying spots a "bit" closer to home than Sandy's.  If memory serves Kualoa Park (by Chinaman's Hat) had a nice large grass field and if they still allow flying there I'd think that would be most excellent.  Pretty sure Rod will pop in here soon to give you some idea's.  In fact I'll nudge him right now.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kitelover

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:11 AM »

Still on your 6 slim guy.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 02:58 PM »

Pearl's got some space

"Do what you like"
rod247
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 04:31 PM »

Hi Doug!  Still here - just in lurker mode   Lips sealed

Aloha LookOut!  Welcome to paradise - because it's kite season 12 months out of the year here!

Unlike the continent, the beaches here are narrow and don't really have the room to fly.  But the beach parks are good.  To be honest, IMHO, the beaches here have too much wind when "the trades" are blowing.  So any park will do too.

If you're at Scholfield, Central Oahu Regional park is a nice place.  I always wanted to fly there, but never did.  I think ancnthiflr flies there.

If you're at Kaneohe MBH, like Steve mentioned, Kualoa or Chinaman's Hat is a nice place to fly too.

Then there's Sandy beach as Doug (ndcmpc) mentioned.  My kite buddy is out there every Sunday from around 4 pm.  Again, IMHO, it's too windy there.

High Performance Kites store is long gone.  And the HKP guys hardly come out to Sandy's anymore.  Just a few die-hards (not me).  If we need kites, we go to GWTW   Wink

Let us know where you're stationed at and we can suggest a few good places.

And welcome to the fourm
ainokea

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 09:38 PM »

Hi Doug,

My name is Ian, I used to work for High Performance Kites when they were around. We were the guys out at Sandy beach, I was
out there as an instructor three days a week besides working in the shop. To tell you the truth, Sandy beach is alright, not the best. But, it works. THE BEST place to fly is Kualoa beach park, or also known as China mans hat park. It's right across the road from Kualoa ranch. (where they filmed Jurassic park, among many other movies) The wind is much, much nicer, smoother, cleaner, and a lot more steady and consistant than Sandy beach. Most of us hard core flyers would be out there on the weekends, not Sandy beach. Try Sandys first, then drive out to Kualoa. You'll see why we went to Kualoa to fly on our own time.  Grin

P.S. when you do fly there, the best spot to fly is the first open spot next to the restrooms on the beach side, not the big open field next to the bushes. There is a big difference, trust me.  Grin

Good winds, and say aloha to the park for me. Man, I miss that place.

Ian

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
rod247
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 01:58 AM »

Ian!  Howzit bruddah!  Still stay in Vegas, li' dat? 
ainokea

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:39 AM »

Howzit bruddah Rod!!
Long time bra, how you?
Yeah, still in Vegas. 

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document