GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 07:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kites in the Olympics  (Read 2164 times)
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 01:45 AM »

... sport aerobatic flying, air racing and kiting all have competition ability and skill but don't fit into a neat accepted category that just anyone can get into.

I think theres a hidden rule in there that it has to be something the majority can easily grasp, understand and be willing to pay to watch world wide as well. 

Doesn't the Red Bull Air Race fall into your categories "sport aerobatic flying, air racing" ?  While that was going, hundreds of thousands of regular "anyones" grasped, understood and paid to watch it world wide.  Me included...but I hope it doesn't become an Olympic event

So by the definition  you provided we can pretty much consider any competetive capable activity a sport except Golf since even golfers prefer it to be called a game. 

The "game" of golf was in the Olympics in 1900 and 1904 AND will return in 2016.  Tennis also comprises games ("game, set and match") and has been in the Olympics since 1988.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 02:01 AM »

From here. If you really want to see this sort of thing at an international, multi-sports event then you should be aiming either at the World Games, who have a whole section for trend sports, or the World Air Games.

Trying to focus on kiting, what has gotten me worried (so to speak) is that Kites don't seem to be included in the FAI...
Is that right?
I just couldn't find a section of the organisation that is related to or includes kiting activities.

If this is so, then it is something that should be corrected, no?

What do you all think?

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 02:21 AM »

... sport aerobatic flying, air racing and kiting all have competition ability and skill but don't fit into a neat accepted category that just anyone can get into.

I think theres a hidden rule in there that it has to be something the majority can easily grasp, understand and be willing to pay to watch world wide as well. 

Doesn't the Red Bull Air Race fall into your categories "sport aerobatic flying, air racing" ?  While that was going, hundreds of thousands of regular "anyones" grasped, understood and paid to watch it world wide.  Me included...but I hope it doesn't become an Olympic event

So by the definition  you provided we can pretty much consider any competetive capable activity a sport except Golf since even golfers prefer it to be called a game. 

The "game" of golf was in the Olympics in 1900 and 1904 AND will return in 2016.  Tennis also comprises games ("game, set and match") and has been in the Olympics since 1988.
  WEll not just anyone can get a pilots license, qualify for the aerobatic license, qualify in the sport aerobatic class, qualify in the sport racing class AND qualify for the sport aerobatic racing class much less afford a  multi million dollar racing modified aircraft (yes I looked into it all when thinking of getting my pilots license the process is insane).  Pick pretty much anything in the olympics and anyone can reasonably get into it easily and it is not a niche/fad activity but widely acepted.

Golf whether or not it has been or will be in the olympics will always be a "game" and never a "sport".  Thats the preference that has been agreed to for years and that was my only point on that subject.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 04:41 AM »

Golf whether or not it has been or will be in the olympics will always be a "game" and never a "sport".  Thats the preference that has been agreed to for years and that was my only point on that subject.

Good thing it's called the Olympic Games, then  Cheesy

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 07:27 AM »

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 09:39 AM »

Boy!  The things you get to miss out on when your internet goes down for two days Sad

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 11:08 AM »

Golf will be reinstated (golf was there in 1900 and 1904) for the 2016 games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_at_the_Summer_Olympics

So, I guess it is a sport.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
timothymcmackin
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 03:39 PM »

It will be interesting to see how kitesurfing gets categorized though.  Will they come up with some type of regatta format or use the freestyle only or even come up with something else.

From what I understand, it's going to be racing, like windsurfing was, rather than any freestyle judged event. It's grouped in with the sailing events. The race might be fun to watch -- it'll be intense. I didn't realize racing while kiteboarding was popular.

One interesting detail I got from looking at the news about kiteboarding: each sailing event has defined equipment, so all the boats for the skiff event are the same, for example. That makes sense, I suppose, though part of me thinks it would be interesting to have the teams design the best boat within some parameters. Anyway, the report on sailing.org says that because we can't predict the wind or weather, we have to choose equipment that will work in a wide range of situations. How will that work with kiteboarding? Will they pick massive 17m kites so they can fly (or whatever verb kiteboarders use) even if the wind is light? Or will there be an accepted quiver of kites, and the contestants can use the 11m to be safe or risk their necks going out in strong wind with the 13m? I suppose some judge could just pick the kite on the day of the competition.

I'll look forward to watching it. Shame to lose windsurfing, though.
Ca Ike

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 05:03 PM »

Yea I used to windsurf and it was fun racing others or trying a bit of wave riding action.  Still go out once in a while but I now rent since I sold all my gear.

What I Think you will see as far as equipment will be one of two things for kites.  A range of 10, 13 and 17 meter kite packs or a new variable vented 17 meter model design specifically for olympic racing to be adjustable to pull like a 10 or full 17.  Line lengths will be strictly set to maximize kite use but allow good clearance to minimize the chance of tangles while passing.  New boards will come out to meet limits set by the event for build parameters and performance.
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 08:59 PM »

Well until the olympics I have never seen or heard of ANY ribbon twirling competitions

I think the venues that host such sports may be happier than you think that you haven't found them... Roll Eyes

how much skill does it take to make pretty shapes with a ribbon attached to a stick. Considering they had to link it with gymnastics I woulds say NONE. 

Being you have to master more than one discipline, I'd be dissagreeing here... Roll Eyes

http://youtu.be/Viu7U8_IhD4

If you wish, consider that a challenge, you have a week to shoot a better one, with you as the star  Wink

This quote is from the Gymnastics Australia web site

Rhythmic Gymnastics is the perfect sport to teach body awareness and control - skills that will assist in the development of athletic potential for any sporting endeavour.

Rhythmic Gymnastics:

Develops posture and confident body movement, for sport and life
Enhances co-ordination and agility, for body awareness and balance enhances creativity and builds self-confidence
Increases flexibility and strength and prepares the body for the life's challenges
Develops healthy minds and bodies for now and later life

Actually it sounds like the perfect cross training platform for Freestyle kiting...

On no... I just pictured....  CaIke... Huh Huh Huh Huh no, no, no.... forget I ever spoke  Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed....

Oh the pain the pain....

WinterDaze AoF
Ca Ike

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 01:24 AM »

Hmm thats not exactly the ribbon twirling I remember falling asleep to.  IN fact I only saw a few ribbons and it has a lot more lean toward gymnastics than when I first tried to watch.  I remember it having more of a ballet/dance type of thing but I admit that was 4 olympics ago or more.

Actually it sounds like the perfect cross training platform for Freestyle kiting...

On no... I just pictured....  CaIke...     no, no, no.... forget I ever spoke    ....
LOL Shannon you slay me. Cheesy  Hmm what I could do with a woman that flexible....  Opps spring time is not the time to watch cute women  going through multiple positions while playing with balls Tongue

Actually I think JB has already started that road with some of his more flamboyant(athletic?) flying (dance) style. Although that may be what the SL7 would work well for, but thats another brain frying thread and all the kiting challenge I am adding atm.  6 hours of crashing so far.........
DGomberg

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 11:22 PM »

Isn't a touch ironic that the AKA basically showed kiteboarders and other traction kiters the door some years back, since they were considered a bad insurance risk, and now it's kiteboarding that has made it into the Olympics?  Roll Eyes

Well actually, AKA was actively recruiting boarders. Then our insurance company decided to exclude them following a power-kiting incident.  Wasn't a decision on our part and AKA protested loudly.
Ca Ike

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 11:46 PM »

Isn't a touch ironic that the AKA basically showed kiteboarders and other traction kiters the door some years back, since they were considered a bad insurance risk, and now it's kiteboarding that has made it into the Olympics?  Roll Eyes

Well actually, AKA was actively recruiting boarders. Then our insurance company decided to exclude them following a power-kiting incident.  Wasn't a decision on our part and AKA protested loudly.
A couple people dying and getting hurt bad does tend to make insurance co's wince.   Ever since the drowning lawsuit that led to the Verginia Grame Baker act, I've had a nightmare of a time keeping liability coverage for my business that I can afford.
RonG
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 03:29 AM »

We could argue the he said/she said nuances all day I suppose, but in the end it doesn't matter. 

The irony is that one of the forms of kiting that is no longer officially welcome in the AKA - for whatever reason - is the one that has made it to the Olympics.

I got a chuckle out of it, but then again I'm easily amused.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document