GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shipping a kite  (Read 1645 times)
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: May 10, 2012, 09:49 AM »

whats a good way to package a kite to ship accross the country , thanks ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:53 AM »

The post office has some great boxes, or shipping tubes from office depot.
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 10:13 AM »

Also, if your local Post Office does not have the triangular tube shipping boxes, you can order them right from the USPS website for free (Priority/Express Mail Tube Medium - 37 11/16" x 6 1/8" x 5 1/16").  If you need longer, you can cut/tape two together...but it might cost more to ship. 
PUZZLE

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:29 AM »

+1 on the triangle boxes from post office

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:12 AM »

If I happen to have one around, I like to ship kites in those white cardboard tubes.  They are as cheap to ship as the toblerobe triangle boxes, but are also nearly indestructable.

The downside is that they cost about $8 if you don't happen to have one.

6 kite tom
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:13 AM »

+1 Tom...

If you want something more robust, I prefer the shipping tubes.  Most kites will break down to fit into the 37x3" tubes.  I typically use these for international or higher value kites.  Not to say the USPS triangle boxes are bad, but I've heard stories of them being crushed/folded/etc. which is much harder to do with the shipping tube.  I'm probably just paranoid though. Cheesy

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/shipping-mailing-supplies/mailers-tubes/
http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/mailing-tubes/N=5+530025/

Typically average around $3-4, less if you buy in bulk. Wink  I'm pretty sure I've picked them up before in a 2-pack for $8 or so at OfficeMax or one of those places.

If you need something larger I've also found 48x4" tubes @ FedEx Kinko's stores, those are good for larger kites or shipping multiple kites.

-Mike
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:16 AM by Smeagol » Logged
Doc Z

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 12:46 PM »

Yeah, if given the choice, I'd go with the tubes as well.  Definitely sturdier.

Make sure you tape up the ends well, though.  I shipped a kite a few months ago and the frackin' USPS delivered an empty tube to the dude.  I was in a rush to get it shipped out before work and figured it would be alright without taping it.  Wound up eating the cost of the kite + shipping.  You can't spell 'pissed' without 'tape it up well before you ship the stupid kite'.
HiFly
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 01:00 PM »

I'd go with the tubes as well.  Definitely sturdier.
the cheapest ones (zero euro Wink) I get at the carpet store.
these "core-tubes" are really sturdy, you can stand on them.

Mike
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 01:32 PM »

I ship 95% in triangular tubes....i have had a couple crushed flat, but the kite inside was not harmed, and those were international flights.
Priority mail is my choice......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 02:59 PM »

Ah man, that sucks about the empty tube being delivered.  I always staple those plastic end caps on just for this reason.  I've even seen taped on ones that looked as though they were about to come off.

-Mike

Yeah, if given the choice, I'd go with the tubes as well.  Definitely sturdier.

Make sure you tape up the ends well, though.  I shipped a kite a few months ago and the frackin' USPS delivered an empty tube to the dude.  I was in a rush to get it shipped out before work and figured it would be alright without taping it.  Wound up eating the cost of the kite + shipping.  You can't spell 'pissed' without 'tape it up well before you ship the stupid kite'.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 03:07 PM »

One of the things I like about the triangular tubes is the ends. Nothing to come off. For especially fragile cargo I put a round tube inside a triangle tube. Bullet proof. Ive seen triangle tubes crushed and torn, but there is a lot of extra space in there with just one kite. Unlike a more tight fitting round tube which will transfer torque or pressure more readily to the kite.  I'd say the best single kite shipping method is in a triangle tube with crumpled newspaper packed loosly around the kite. If it's not a particulalrly fragile kite, I just fill the ends of the tube with padding.

Re-using triangle tubes is where the problems begin.

Allen, AKA kitehead
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 04:52 PM »

okey im real impressed  at all the good info , thanks everybody , the thing i learned today is ups charges an extra 12.00 to ship a round tube, fed ex doesnt , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
Smeagol

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 04:56 PM »

USPS is by far the best when it comes to shipping rates.  They're also faster assuming you ship Priority.

-Mike
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 06:09 PM »

I've received many a kite in the Tri-angle box... In Tucson my mailman always be curious what new kite I was getting...never had a problem

I have some round tubes also, in fact, I have a large tube (4") that I've traveled with for maybe 20years

it has my name and address on it so if I ever got hassled boarding a plane (never happened) it would survive baggage

nice thing about the USPS tri-box is they are free, and you can slide one over another to make a telescopically larger box... but I believe another thread mentioned that the post office may charge additional

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Doc Z

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 08:01 AM »

Yup, the price kick into another rate scale if you go over a certain dimension with the telescoping triangle tube method.  I want to say it's something like 80 inches total (LxWxH).  Could be wrong on the number...I should know by now, but I just try to make them all as small as possible.  Sucks when the LEs don't break down.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change