GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 02:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sixth Sense Build  (Read 2957 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: May 11, 2012, 12:56 PM »

As payment for a Mohawk XS, I've started a Sixth Sense Std that will be sent to Krijn (forum member).  Thought I'd post some progress pictures. 

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:02 PM »

I like the pinstriping

Sine Metu!
sugarbaker

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:16 PM »

Krijn picked the color scheme (including what seams would have pinstripes).
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 01:27 PM »

Man, the pin-striping rocks!  (as I knew it would).  I've never seen a kite that I didn't like it on - it's like a stained glass window.

Sadly, my favorite kites have no panels, so it's not an option!  Sad

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 01:33 PM »

Very nicely sewn (I hate you secretly).

It looks like you will both be very happy with your exchange.  Smiley

Good bold graphics.

Pinstripes are an elegant addition to kites.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:48 PM »

Tongue

looking great, sugarbaker!

this one (with striping) is above the ocean right now:

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 03:30 PM »

Very nicely sewn (I hate you secretly).

Me too! As many years as I've sewn, precision has never been a forte. Well done.

this one (with striping) is above the ocean right now:
Above the ocean is good!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Lex B
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 07:34 AM »

will be reading this thread with interest

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:54 AM »

Are kites without panels harder to make?

I find myself wondering why there is no relation between number of seams and cost...esp. in the case single panel specialty kites.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
sugarbaker

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:54 AM »

For me, it's a matter of space and precision.  I have considered a single panel kite design, but the templates for cutting the fabric would have to be very large and it would be difficult to have a cutting table that large.  For a professional builder, it would be worth the investment to have a huge cutting table and then make single panel kites.  For a hobbyist, it may not be the best way to go.  Even with this Six Sense build, I'm finding space an issue because the sail is quite large.  The other risk with a single panel kite is that if you screw up, you are losing the entire quantity of fabric (although I do save large pieces that I can later cut up into small panels if I mess up).  with a paneled kite, you can just remove and fix a single panel. 

There are other reasons, but my thoughts are that the number of panels is not a significant reason a kite would be priced differently (to an extent). I think prices of kites are more realistically set at what people will pay for them, the quality of the kite build (no matter how many panels there are) and in some respects the time that it takes to build.

If I were going to start building kites for a living, I'd have to sell them for approx $600 dollars to make any profit because I'm too slow.  Precision is important to me, and my results are excellent, but these results come at the cost of thriftiness.  Speed and precision come with practice and experience.  For me, I'm still waiting for the speed aspect of building to show up! 
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 01:49 PM »

(hot)-cutting long stretches (LE and TE) on a one piece/two piece design isn't really necessary since you can just cut with scissors. The LE will be covered with dacron and the TE will either be rolled or covered with seam tape.
Cutting the Spine section is no problem since you don't need a very large cutting board... a piece of hardboard will do just fine.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 06:21 PM »

Another factor in single panel kites is the huge amount of cut-off, that is fabric that then isn't used. I'd have to do the layout again to give exact figures but a single panel design or any design where you have a continuous length of fabric from the spine to the wingtip will use over two yards of fabric assuming you build 2 identical, to build a single kite you will need nearly 3 Yards. Where a paneled design can be kept to 1 1/4 - 1 1/3 yards 1 1/2 yards tops even for a single kite using a single color.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:25 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
sugarbaker

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 01:13 AM »

Some updated pics.  No pics of the frame, although it is ready to go for when I finish the sail. 

Tail of kite, leech line threaded... no tail strap at this point.

Wing tips with leach line doubled back for tension loops (and sewn in place...)

Leading Edge prep... wing tip end doubled back for added durability.

Leading edge holes.  frame with thread through these and result in covered leading edge connectors (as with all of my kite builds).

Tail Strap added.  This is the front side of the kite.  Leech line passes through to the back to thread up through the spine tunnel (and eventually be tensioned over center T)

And the back side of the tail strap.

Yet to do: attach leading edge and nose, cut out pass through for center T, tie up bridle, build kite sleeve. 

The Mohawk that Krijn is trading for this kite has arrived at my house and looks great!  I'm hoping to finish this build within the next two weeks to have it shipped to him.  Hopefully he finds it a worthy trade!
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 03:56 AM »

Yet to do: attach leading edge and nose, cut out pass through for center T, tie up bridle, build kite sleeve. 

The Mohawk that Krijn is trading for this kite has arrived at my house and looks great!  I'm hoping to finish this build within the next two weeks to have it shipped to him.  Hopefully he finds it a worthy trade!

it looks very nice!

i'm also hoping it's a worthy trade, but i'm not worried Smiley

Krijn
sugarbaker

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 12:34 AM »

I haven't posted many pictures from this build, but here is an update.  Sail and Frame are complete.  Still need to tie up the bridle and sew a sleeve... then off to Krijn!

slightly different nose pattern than the Invictus... the spine extends all the way to the end.

This is feeling like a pretty excellent kite... still haven't built one for myself!  Stay tuned for an UL version I'll be starting as soon as the recipient sends his color preference. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change