GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 01:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worn out lines? So quickly...?  (Read 1590 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 01:26 AM »

Nice post WD!

Poetic and instructive.  Smiley

I indeed have some difficulties with symmetry:
- I tend to draw squares by rotating mostly left... don't know why, since I'm right handed, but they come out better...
- I tend to do Axels only on the left (so with right hand)
- I tend to do half-axels more on the left (right hand) although I'm really forcing myself to do them also on the right (left hand) and thanks to this forcing myself I am starting to be able to cascade them (what a feeling!  Tongue  Grin  Cool )

So indeed, I am aware I should be thinking of tricks as them and I'm really trying  Smiley
although not always succeeding   Roll Eyes

Anyway, I am really looking forward to receiving my Talon UL and experience all that has been told about it. And I'll try it with my new 99lbs (45Kg) lines as wells as with my new 83lbs (38Kg) lines.

Cheers!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 07:20 PM »

I'm curious if there is really any significant difference between a 99 and 83 lb line in strength and diameter?  Why not save the money and just use the LPG only?  I bet you would barely notice a difference. 
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43 AM »

i use 100lb  shanti skybond with my Talon UL.
Its nearly as thin as 50lb spectra

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 01:24 PM »

OK thanks for the comments.

I now have in my hands the Laser Pro 45Kg (99lbs)
I will make the two sets of lines one 20m (65ft) and another 25m (82ft) and try the with both my Soul and my Talon UL (once it arrives...  Roll Eyes )
When I have a better idea I'll decide whether I get anything else or I stay with these.

Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41 AM »

IIRC....
If it is true LPG, it is only available in 50lb, 90lb, 150lb, 200lb, 300lb and 500lb.  If the shop is selling you 99lb line I would be cautious. They would either have to have custom line weights made which would be very difficult to do, or they are selling you something else - or they just have it marked wrong with the conversion.

Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 10:59 AM »

i use 100lb shanti skybond with my Talon UL.
It's nearly as thin as 50lb spectra

+1   love the 100# Skybonds...

One time, I crossed lines with Sluggo and one of my lines got a little frayed as a result.  That's the only other reason I can think of for uneven wear, besides what was already mentioned.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20 PM »

IIRC....
If it is true LPG, it is only available in 50lb, 90lb, 150lb, 200lb, 300lb and 500lb.  If the shop is selling you 99lb line I would be cautious. They would either have to have custom line weights made which would be very difficult to do, or they are selling you something else - or they just have it marked wrong with the conversion.

Thanks Gamelord.
Well the spool came in a small transparent plastic bag that has no specific mention to Laser Pro. The spool itself has a tag that says:
Competition Tube
90 lb. X 300Ft.
45 Kg. X 90m.

So it is me that got this "wrong" with the 99lbs... although I did the conversion through Google and according to this 45Kg are actually 99lbs...

Disregarding these conversion difficulties, does it sound like the spool is really Laser Pro line?

N.

In my bag...
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 03:15 PM »

Glad to know, you probably got the good stuff! Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography