GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 07:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worn out lines? So quickly...?  (Read 1600 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 11, 2012, 11:34 PM »

Hi,

The lines I got with my Soul during last Christmas holidays are starting to wear out. I can't believe it!

I haven't used them that much and I would have thought lines lasted for much longer; say one year at least, but probably much more...

They have worn out at the point where they twist around each other on doing loops and circles with the kite.
In fact, only one of them has worn out.

The annoying thing is that the wearing has made the line to fray in small threads at that point (about 3cm long). The effect of this is that when I twist and untwist the lines, the good line gets stuck on the frayed line until I pull a little and snap them separate.
This is bad because I kind of lose control for a moment until I separate them.

For example, I'm starting to cascade half-axels. So I do one on the left (lines twist), then I do one on the right (lines untwist but the fraying gets them caught), then I try to do the next one on the left but it comes out bad because the lines are caught...  Sad

Questions:
1. Is this normal timewise? I mean, wearing out so quickly?
2. Is this effect usual? Both the fraying and getting caught.
3. Can I do anything to fix it?
4. Should I just go out to the store and buy a new set of lines?

Thanks,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Hadge

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 01:29 AM »

What make of lines are they?  A line set should really last at least a year or two even with heavy use, my oldest Climax set is 3-4 years old and still OK. Could you have maybe damaged the line on something when you were using it? I find all sorts of rubbish on my flying field and spent 10 minutes the other day untangling my quad lines from a piece of thorn branch left on the ground!

If the line is a known make and if it really is wear I would try the manufactuer first - lines should last longer than that. Depending on were the damage is you may be able to cut down the lines a bit or maybe even cut out the damaged section and knot the lines (though this may still snag and will weaken the lines at the join). In the end you are going to have to get a new set. Sad

Personally I prefer coated lines ( climax Professional/Protec) rather than open braid dyneema - they seem less prone to damage and slip better. You can buy some makes on bulk spools and make your own line sets, it really isn't that hard to do. It's worth having at least 2 sets of your most use lines in case one breaks.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 03:08 AM »

Having only one side wear is odd. I don't know where you fly but that almost sounds like one line may have picked up some wet sand or dirt and damaged the other? To increase line life you can swap ends every once in a while, that is swap the straps from one end to the other, it moves the area they cross to a different point. Doing that might help your situation right now for a short term but it sounds like you will be in the market for a new lineset soon.

If you fly in damp conditions or over sand or dirt regularly you might read skb's post here on line maintenance, in fact the whole thread is worth a read.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:22 AM »

Hi,

Thanks to both.
The suggestion of swapping the straps is a good idea. I will try it.
Cutting and knotting I don't think I'll try it...
Recently I am flying more at the beach but I have mostly flown over grass! So no possibility of getting one pick up something to damage the other.

Concerning the make, the package says:
Dynamic(TM) 100% Dyneema(R) Ready-to Fly set
for multi-line stunt kite flying
Line braided in China for
Flying Wings Kites, California

I will indeed read the thread you mention on line care mikenchico.

So I think I will go get me some new lines anyway...   Sad
Thanks,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:16 AM »

Yes, it's time to invest in a good lineset.... stock linesets are good when you don't have anything else, but that's about it. I used to think the stock Prism linesets were pretty good, but once I got a set of Laser Pro, I never flew on stock sets again.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:45 AM »

+1 with Rob. and Mike .Swap your lines around while waiting in GREAT anticipation of the real thing! you wont regret it. I fly on sand and my lpg sets are still decent after 2 years, no fraying .Just a little less slick. Now your only problem is type,weight and length LOL

have fun kurt
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 09:00 AM »

+2 with the others, sounds like you have a 'basic' dyneema set, the sort of thing many makers send out with their RTF kites. Get yourself a good quality set of lines and you will really feel the difference!

25M x 90/100lb is a good place to start for general flying. Worth having a second set as a back up.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 10:21 AM »

OK thanks!

I just now phoned my local store and they have Laser Pro 90Kg in a spool of 90m, so I've reserved one spool which I will go pick up on Monday.

On the other hand, for the Talon UL I'm waiting for I don't know which of the following to take:
+ Laser Pro 45Kg (90m spool)
+ Skyline Horizon 38Kg (90m spool)

Of course for a UL the lighter the lines the better no?
However, the Skyline must still arrive to the store and have no fixed arrival date, whereas they already have the LP available
What do you recommend?
(Only 4 difference in price between the two)

Thanks,

N.

In my bag...
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 10:52 AM »

Lighter is better for the UL, but I'd still stick with the LaserPro if I were you. The others will know better, but my own limited experience is that the Talon UL will have a lot of substance, as opposed to something like the Prism 4D. My imagination says that the LaserPro weight will probably be okay. Your store only has the 45Kg (99lb) weight?

Best advice? Since you are going to buy a new set right now, test the new set on the incoming Talon, then if you think you'll want another, lighter, set, order it then. It never hurts to have two or more sets!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 11:03 AM »

Argh! Thanks Nancy, I just now noticed something... terrible!
I asked for the 90Kg lines thinking they were 90lbs!!!!
But 90Kg are +198lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Shocked   .....   Embarrassed
 Roll Eyes

So I guess I shouldn't get these lines because they are too strong even for a STD kite as my Soul is...  right?

45Kg are 99lbs so this would be the correct one for my STD Soul, right?

Therefore, I will use these to make my new set of lines that substitute my old worn out lines and wait for the lighter Skyline for the Talon UL.

I guess this is the correct way of doing this.

These darn conversions between metric and imperial.... !%@#!!~#*@%!  Angry
Humanity has done huge steps in standardising (just look at the WWW), so why can't we all use the same type of measures!!!

Anyway... not the place for this discussion...   Lips sealed  Wink

Cheers and thanks!

N.

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 11:53 AM »

90 kg's is way too heavy for standard flying, 45KG should be just right.

You'll also need some sleeving and a sleeving tool - both pretty cheap

90m will give you a 25m set and a 20m set which should set you up nicely.

Ideally you want something a little lighter for your UL - 15/20m @ around 25kg would be good but if your new lines are not too thick and heavy they should keep you going for now.

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 12:03 PM »

Right Hadge.

The only thing is apparently my store cannot get me 25Kg lines. From 38Kg they go down to 20Kg which I would say is too little for the Talon UL.
Is that right?

For the sleeving I have also asked for it at my local store.
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 01:04 PM »

20kg's is a little on the light side but strengths quoted are usually minimum breaking stain and they will usually take a bit more. They should be OK in sub 10/12 kph winds, after that you will probably be Ok with your 45kg lines.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 03:08 PM »

Get a spool - works out to $22 or so for a line set, but I like that I have lots on hand and can also make whatever length that you want.

6 kite tom
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 12:34 AM »

Once upon a time ago it was a badge of pride to wear out a line set  Cool

I look for cheap lines these days, just to look cool  Wink

One thing though, a wearing out of one line more than another is a sure sign of asymmetry in your routine. No bad in the short term but when you approach learning a trick think of all of it as a them yep, 2 ticks, left and right.

As some one who learns this sort of stuff slower than some  Roll Eyes I hate learning the off hand variant, but it so makes a difference down the track when you're 'going off' or in 'the zone' [/cool young dude voice]

Oh and I like flying my UL Talon on 'std ' lines, I think it helps with the 'drop away' aspect of lines with slack line tricks FWIW.... 

But... with that kite, I don't think it cares what you're using. Cool

WD
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:53 PM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography