GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 06:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 line KAP  (Read 460 times)
SSpooner
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: May 13, 2012, 11:35 PM »

This is my first post (other the swap meet inquiries). I love this site, but I have not really had anything to contribute until now.

Here are some pictures I took yesterday from a Prism Prophecy @ 150 feet. I used a ELPH 300HS and used CHDK (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK) intervalometer script to press the shutter. The link below includes both still snapshots and an edited 3 minute video. 

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=115113718772417355900&target=ALBUM&id=5742116486160103329&authkey=Gv1sRgCOCE4Mif54ywxAE&invite=CN759oYP&feat=email

The Ghost and dragon kites shown in the pictures/video are owned and flown by madhabitz (on this forum), she also likes to fly in this park.

The kite seemed heavy with the camera mounted in 8 mph winds but still balanced (considering), I could still do full axels and it wasn't any problem landing the kite with the camera mounted. The camera weights ~ 4.97 oz. and is mounted just above the lower spreaders, this seems the be the center of balance for this kite. I use this particular kite because it is the largest stable kite I own (I don't own a large SLK).

The Camera shown in the photos is not the ELPH 300HS, but I wanted to show the kite and the camera mount I used and this was the only photo I had.

I am thinking I would really like to acquire an SLK for aerial photography, it really is a lot of fun.

The location of the park is Dublin, CA (see google map link below).
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=209676215636924023238.0004bde72340d8ebc5cea

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:03 PM by SSpooner » Logged
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:48 AM »

Hey, you did good!! Must've taken you a ton of time to edit all that video. It's amazing how far below the camera the Ghosts were-- it didn't seem like you were that much higher. I found it interesting to see the shots alongside the Ghosts, then moved into a position above. Even though I've been yammering how you need to get an SLK, I like the maneuverability shown in your video. Very cool.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
ghfisanotti
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:04 AM »

Nice pics! I liked your way of mounting the camera on the kite, very ingenious, I'll try to implement something along those lines to mount the GoPro on one of my kites.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:48 AM »

Nice pics! I liked your way of mounting the camera on the kite, very ingenious, I'll try to implement something along those lines to mount the GoPro on one of my kites.

The mount he used includes that plastic piece that the camera is sitting on. He figured out what he wanted and had a local plastic place cut it out for him. It's pretty ingenious-- holes and slots are placed strategically to hold the camera solidly to the kite (he can explain it better). What was neat was that he originally designed it for another camera, but then got the new one and was able to still use the plastic mount. There seems to be a lot of adaptable possibilities with this one design.

One thing he mentioned that might be helpful for others to know:  when he went to the plastics place and told them what he wanted, they were going to charge him a great deal of money to produce a finished product. They then told him if he could make do with just a rough finish job they would charge him very little. So that's what he had them do, then did the finish work (sanding and stuff) himself.

I just watched the video again-- pretty neat!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum