GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 07:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whats your Go To kite...  (Read 4640 times)
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: May 15, 2012, 02:13 PM »

So many choices, and different situations based on location, so I thought I would pose a ? to try to get a consensus of peoples kite preferences.

Please answer three questions in your reply if you dont mind:
1) What is your Go to kite (kite family if you fly the same kite in UL/STD/VTD conditions)
2) do you live near the water/clean air, or do you live inland with inconsistant winds.
3) How long have you been flying

If you feel like it:
What style of flying do you do most?

my answers:
1) dont know which is my go to yet, but I enjoy my Talon, Sevens, and Silver foxes
2) I live in the city with choppy, gusty, inconsistant winds
3) working on year #2
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:34 PM by kepople » Logged
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:47 PM »

Goto kites: Deepspace std & UL, Sano std & SSZ But the A bag holds others depending on wind and mood
Where: Inland winds on rare occasion to lake erie shore and two weeks this year to myrtle beach Cool
How long: 10+ years some, more into things in the last 7 or 8

Sine Metu!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 03:03 PM »

I rotate the "A Bag™" stock quite often.

Always in the bag though:

Benson Inner Space
  Mojo UL
  C21 Extreme Prototype
  Katana Vented Prototype

Often in the bag:

Opium Collector (thank you RandyG)
  JoE Trident UL
  Quantum Pro std

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 03:18 PM »

GoTo kites in the A-Bag:

Widow Maker std, UL
Solus std, ul
Ocius Std, Ul, SUL
Vented Rev
Focus Manta

All other kites in my bag are very jealous of those listed above.

I fly inland - Las Vegas NV, semi gusty - strong winds in the spring, mild winds in the summer, light  to no winds in the winter.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 04:00 PM »

Widowmaker Std

Inland - with some of the worst winds

30+ years

Other kites always in the A bags - The second Widowmaker Std, Exile w/Nitro's, Muse w/Nitro's, Mamba SUL & Std, Freestylist UL & Std, TTUL, 61/49, Wala, Ty Billings Rok, Goodwinds Asteroid, 13' homebuilt UL Delta, Premier Heart Delta, Quantum, Rev II, Gomberg Chevron (modified to fly), a Flowtail or two, an Extreme Rok, a couple Premier Roks, a small Brassington design, a Flexifoil or two, ... I know "Big A Bag", we both have one. The new Prism Switch and Zero G will both find homes there for now as we get acquainted, possibly replacing the G Chevron and the Wala.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:05 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:28 PM »

Mike, is that a bag or a trailer?
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Kite: Talon's
Type of wind: Clean air
Time on lines: 5 years

Style: Flow(ish)

WD

WinterDaze AoF
Smplcty
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 05:35 PM »

1. Widowmaker STD and UL and for SUL a Kitehouse Sissy
    The UL is my most flown kite by far

2. Clean ocean air, I live at the beach

3. I have been flying for just about 3 years now
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:06 PM »

1) fearless for soulful flying / tricking, transformer for pushing tricks to the max or trick competition.  I also love the NFX when the wind is up.  If I could only have one kite to fly for the rest of the year, I'd pick the Transformer SUL.

2) inland-ish.  We have lots of water around here, but unless you are at the beach, it's mostly badly inconsistent.  But, at it's best, it can be very very good.

3) 4 years now I think.

6 kite tom
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 06:06 PM »

Flying for such a long time, I find I have 3 "A" bags, a standard/light, a SUL, and a quad. In my standard "A" bag:

Betancourt: moXie, Warrior, Centurion, Stilletto (sp?) and occasionally Bad Boy
Sano SS and SSL (SSZ in the SUL bag)
Fizz Reflex
Frenezy
Cesium

I also tend to rotate stock, but usually I just take the 3 sportkite bags if I go out.
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 06:19 PM »

My A bag comfortably holds five.  Currently:  DS UL/STD, Seven UL/STD, Fearless Light

Live close enough to the ocean (or Cape, as it were) to only be a T ride away.  Best winds are on the causeway to Nahant, for my money, but I hate flying on sand.  Some nice grass fields near the water, though.  Much better than what I was flying with in CT.

Flying for 15 years - started duals then mixed in quads for a bit.  Back to dualies and my trick skill level in no way reflects the amount of time I've spent staring up at them.

I go back and forth on style.  Sometimes I spend 10-15 minutes trying tricks and then spend the next 10-15 stalled at the edge of the window thinking about nothing.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:23 PM by Doc Z » Logged
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31 PM »

My "A" bag is currently a double ski bag (purchase off season, you get a heck of a deal....) which holds about 40 kites.    I am strictly old school, with the exception of my Sea Devil.  I live in an inland area of generally higher than average winds so my choices are classic pullers that give me some feedback.  When the winds are low, I will generally go for my North Shore Radical, or Jabberwocky.  If the winds get higher, I will pull out the Mastrale, a Lite Flite Heavy, or the secret weapon...... A Bob Child's Wizard. I also have a North Shore VIP Vented and many many other choices.  I don't get bored.  Each kite has a niche and I enjoy them all.

Happy Winds,

Magpiesfooty
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:19 PM »

Is this thread about a "go to kite" or who's got the biggest kite collection ?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 07:19 PM »

My bag is similar.  Old school! Love my spin offs, and if the wind permits Hawaiians, light winds my passion or tramontana. I love NSR's as well.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 07:24 PM »

Solus UL seems to be my go-to, especially for the winds. Widowmaker UL at a close second.
I live in the mid west, in chicago this summer. Either super low winds, or high. Depending on location, winds are either pretty smooth (places like north ave beach or notherly island) or awful if I'm flying somewhere that is like a local park covered in trees on short lines.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography