GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 04:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Beetle 2600 Broke on first flight  (Read 1603 times)
OGL
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 15, 2012, 05:37 PM »

Hey all!

I'm hoping an experienced member can help me get some resolution to a disappointing problem.

I've recently become interested in flying stunt kites.  I did some research and decided on the New Beetle kite as my first kite.  Today I took it out on its first flight.

Winds were gusty but light, maxxing out at 13mph.  (I'm a geek so I also bought a cheap wind gauge)  After about 20 minutes the right leading edge connector snapped in mid flight.  Upon inspection, the left connector looks weak and showing some signs of stress as well.

I bought the kite on ebay from the user stuntkiteusa.  It's not possible to contact this user directly and unless I'm mistaken, I'm not qualified for the ebay buyer protection since I paid via Paypal as a guest user.

I'd like to pursue this hobby, but there is no way I'm gonna spend $70 bucks a pop on a one time use item. 

I welcome any input.

Thanks!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:40 PM »

Got a pic of the broken part? Steve here at Chico Kites should be able to get replacements, or better parts, pretty easily..

Where are you located?

Welcome!
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:21 PM »

Drop me an email with the parts you need.  I have most of the beetle connectors and such in the shop and can ship for $2.00 via first class mail (parts are cheap too).

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:12 PM »

Hey all!

I'm hoping an experienced member can help me get some resolution to a disappointing problem.

I've recently become interested in flying stunt kites.  I did some research and decided on the New Beetle kite as my first kite.  Today I took it out on its first flight.

Winds were gusty but light, maxxing out at 13mph.  (I'm a geek so I also bought a cheap wind gauge)  After about 20 minutes the right leading edge connector snapped in mid flight.  Upon inspection, the left connector looks weak and showing some signs of stress as well.

I bought the kite on ebay from the user stuntkiteusa.  It's not possible to contact this user directly and unless I'm mistaken, I'm not qualified for the ebay buyer protection since I paid via Paypal as a guest user.

I'd like to pursue this hobby, but there is no way I'm gonna spend $70 bucks a pop on a one time use item. 

I welcome any input.

Thanks!
This is the reason you don't buy off E-bay unless you know the seller is also a legit kite shop and there are a few kite stores that do e-bay deals but most of the e-bay kite sellers are asses that don't care about supporting their customer after the sale.  Even if you did get ahold of him he more than likely won't know what your talking about or will tell you just to buy a new kite.

That being said most kites are repairable.  Steve will get you up and flying again and in the future though it costs a bit more, dealing with Steve, Kent, Dave or another good kite shop is worth the small bit more they have to charge to keep the doors open.  At least  you can be sure your going to get good help and advice after the sale.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:21 PM »

Ca-Ike is right here!!!
Anyway, you will seek for help to those you turned your back before... (You is for general public here lol)

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 08:30 PM »

Sorry to hear you had a problem with your first kite. Kites do not break that offen and it wil be easy to fix.  Many of us members have kites over 15 years or older that still fly well.

You picked a great sport. It will bring you a lot of joy. Welcome to the forum  Smiley
OGL

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:00 PM »

Thanks all for the quick replies!  I do have pics but can't upload at the moment.

I'll write a more detailed response in the morning.

Question:  Regardless of the seller, is it normal that this kite would break so quickly?  That's a manufacturer defect and could happen wherever.
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:14 PM »

That depends on the circumstances.  The beetle is a tough kite and can handle a lot of abuse but even the toughest kites will break if the circumstances are right.  It could be you didn't get the egdes together properly or it could be  you got a bad kite.  I have seen kites sold on e-bay listed as new that were obviously used and damaged.  NOw if its the place where the 2 parts of the leading edge meet that broke the most common reason for that, especially when talking about a new flier, is not getting the rods seated all the way in the ferule.  IF you don't and you have really gusty winds, thats a recipe  for failure on just about any kite.

On another note, if you let us know where your from I'm sure there are some kiters around that would be glad to meet up and help you get started out right.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:26 PM »

I thought the Beetle had a one piece LE.. well, at least mine did.
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:47 PM »

NOt sure anymore I haven't see a beetle in ages.  Probably the spreader to LE connector
OGL

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 05:57 AM »

Thanks again!

Here is a pic:

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.

I am aware that all the pieces must be fully inserted.  I remember reading that or seeing it on a video somewhere.  And yes, I thought I had made sure to do that.  Of course I admit, this being my first time it's possible I missed something somewhere.

I don't think it was used.  I'm pretty sure I'd recognize a used product.

If a part were available I'd be tempted to try to replace the connector.  The thing is, I've owned the kite for over a month before I had a chance to fly it.  By the time I get around to fixing it and getting out again it'll be the end of summer.

I appreciate all the replies.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 06:30 AM »

This is the reason you don't buy off E-bay unless you know the seller is also a legit kite shop and there are a few kite stores that do e-bay deals but most of the e-bay kite sellers are asses that don't care about supporting their customer after the sale.  Even if you did get ahold of him he more than likely won't know what your talking about or will tell you just to buy a new kite.

I purchased a couple of Alpha+ kites from stuntkiteusa and one arrived with cracked stand-off connectors (they seemed very dried out) I contacted them by email and they sent me replacements quickly

I don't know if the problem is from them (storage) or Flying Wings (design/production) but I have no problem purchasing from them,

I also purchased one from a local kite store and had a similar problem. I have since changed to a different SO connection design

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 07:51 AM »

That actually looks like the "Leading edge connector", where the spreader connect to the leading edge. It's possible that was a "New-Old Stock" kite the sellor may have gotten from a store closing sale. After years it may have deteriorated some. Also being a new flyer the spreader often pulls out of those completely or partway in a crash. If it had pulled partially out that puts much more stress on the part. It's a good idea to check that the spreaders are fully seated after a hard "Lawn Dart", that is crashing straight down nose first.

Steve can get you fixed up, the Beetle is a robust kite, their dealer videos show them running over one with a truck.   Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
OGL

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 08:47 AM »

I purchased a couple of Alpha+ kites from stuntkiteusa and one arrived with cracked stand-off connectors (they seemed very dried out) I contacted them by email and they sent me replacements quickly

Would you mind posting or pm'ing me their email?  They weren't available to contact through ebay.

Good tip on checking the connectors after a crash.  I wish I would have known yesterday.  Roll Eyes

kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 09:03 AM »

stuntk_gzi6709lbtm@members.ebay.com

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document