GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best all around kite for intermediate/advanced  (Read 2257 times)
kiteflyer
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: May 16, 2012, 02:17 PM »

Hello to all,
  I been flying dual line and quad line power kites for a little over a year. I started getting bored with static power kite flying so I"m now learning to fly dual line stunt kites. I'm at the point of practicing stalls and getting ready to try some tricks maybe soon. I have the Freestyle Pilot DVD to help me learn. Right now I'm flying a Prism E3. This will be my everyday learning kite for now. I live in central Massachusetts, inland so I'm always fighting the wind. I'm wondering what kite to get next? I would like something that I could do some tricks with but also do some precision flying with as well. I'm not planning on buying a bunch more kites (will see, I'm not planning on it!) Anyway I was hoping that all you experienced kiters might have some suggestions?
              Your input is welcome thanks, Mark
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:32 PM by kiteflyer » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:04 PM »

Mark where in central mass are you?   I have some friends out your way with a large collection that might be able to test out as well..

rob

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiteflyer

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 03:13 PM »

Hi Rob,
  I live in Hubbardston and work in Worchester. I mostly fly in Gardner at Mount Wachusett Community College.
                                      Mark
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 03:18 PM »

Hey Mark
I spent some time out there....know the area pretty well....

If you shoot me an email to the addy in my profile <-(((( I can forward your info on to some friends who are just below Worcester.

Welcome!@

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 04:48 PM »

Lots of choices out there that are better than the E3. Take theif up on his contact info offer and try out as many as you can.  I can suggest at leas 15 off the top of my head that are good kites.
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:44 AM »

Hey Mark, how's it going?  If you're ever out in eastern MA (Boston area), I'd be happy to go flying sometimes.  I've got a bunch of kites I'd let you try out, if you want.  If I'm flying alone, I usually take the T (red line) to the JFK/UMass stop and fly at Joe Moakley Park.  Sometimes I go flying with fellow GWTW member 'Sluggo' at Nahant or Pope John Paul II Park.  Since I don't have a car, I'm kinda limited to flying on the coast. 

If you want to email me to coordinate something, I think my email address is in my profile. 
kiteflyer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:22 PM »

Thanks guys for all the great offers. But no one has suggested even one kite! I'm really looking to see what everyone else is flying. I know that there are dozens of great kites out there but what is your favorite all around kite to fly???
                      Thanks, Mark
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 05:28 PM »

Right now it is my Solus

Asking this question will only get the kite that everyone happens to be flying at this time.  It's like saying "What color is the best?"  Every kite has a personality and not every personality will match up with everyone.  Some kites will be loved by one but hated by the other and the exact opposite will happen with the next person.  If you are looking for answers to what your next kite will be, then asking what everyone is flying right now may not be the best question - or give you the best results.

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 05:38 PM »

I do not know any of the newer tricks so my favorite sport kite is a late 90s high aspect kite called the AzizA.... it axels like mad... flic flacs.... fades....
Quad lines I am a deca fan....

There are lots of options out there in the multi line kite world.....
You can even get into 3 line kites too......

Then into the active single line kites and fighters too....

kiteflyer

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 05:46 PM »

Thanks Gamelord,
    I do realize that not everybody has the same flying style and we all have our own opinion. I'm just wondering what's Hot today? Is it the latest? Is it the old reliable? I know that what you like might not be what I like. I'm just trying to narrow it down to a handful to pick from instead of dozens.
       Thanks for your reply, Mark
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:46 PM by kiteflyer » Logged
Dan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 06:40 PM »

Hey Mark
I fly a Nirvana sul,& a Prism Zephyer
The Nirvana can fly from 0-5 mph winds
but I don't fly it any higher than that. I
mainly use my Zephyer I've flown it from 3 mph
up to around 15-17mph. It's very durable
& good at rolling up, lazy suzans, flick-flacks
I can't get it to back spin to save my life. But
I'm not a veteran flyer either, but I do ok. The
Zephyer is a good all around kite in my
opion. Depends on how much $ you want to spend
too.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:09 PM »

Have you been following the "What's your Go To kite" thread?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteflyer

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29 PM »

Yes, I did run across your go to kite! Good info Thanks
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 04:25 PM »

Finding the right kite, is like finding the right girl friend (or boy friend) you have to date. And dates that your friends fix you up with don't usually work out. But, okay here goes.

I have a girl I think you should meet. Her name is "Sea Devil" and can be a found in the (personals section) swap meet from time to time. I like her in her "Light Version" but have been dating her sister "Fearless" so you are free to have a go at her.
CV

martijn
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 04:58 AM »

Finding the right kite, is like finding the right girl friend (or boy friend) you have to date. And dates that your friends fix you up with don't usually work out. But, okay here goes.

I have a girl I think you should meet. Her name is "Sea Devil" and can be a found in the (personals section) swap meet from time to time. I like her in her "Light Version" but have been dating her sister "Fearless" so you are free to have a go at her.
CV

soooo true, funny metafore....

i can recommend the nirvana....esspecially UL version....it is a neutral kite and after some practice....it does all the tricks with grace imo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document