GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 11:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My own concoction  (Read 5281 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: May 16, 2012, 10:09 PM »

So lately I've been tinkering with different cad programs for various reasons and one of course was kite designs.  I've had a few design ideas floating around in my head as well as some existing designs I'd like to do different scales of and a couple early 80's kites I saw demoed that I don't think ever saw production much if at all that I'd like to try and recreate.

After a couple months of learning programs, planning and a few prototypes, I've got my first SLK design built.  ITs a 10 foot span, dual wing, box keel delta configuration and a simple panel layout for now.  Actually 2 versions with slightly different wing configurations but I haven't built the second version.  IT has a very high flight angle and should make for a decent lifter which is one of the design goals.  I was lucky enough to have Ron Gibian show up at our fly when I brought out the first prototype and his input was a big help in figuring out the changes to the final versions.  Thank you Ron.

Here's a pic and a couple vids.  THe main testing of the prototype was done in my back yard (so I could hack n patch in changes quickly) in the worst wind conditions you could get.  Gusty, swirly, bumpy and full of more holes than window screen.  I'll call this first version the Venturi (name suggested by the Godfather himself Tongue)

SLK by Ca Ike, on Flickr

SLK

Slk with tail on Vimeo
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:49 PM »

looks very cool

Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:38 AM »

Excellent Ca Ike!!!

It is really beautiful!  Smiley   Smiley   Smiley
I want one!   Tongue

One comment. Since its underlying design is based on a box kite, I think it would be good to have the box split into three parts with top and bottom having the box structure and the middle one "missing"; i.e. have a central hole.
The reason is that this is what makes box kites have greater lift strength.
What do you think?

Apart from that, are you going to make the plans public for others to build one   Grin   Tongue

Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:46 AM »

Very cool...I would love to see some detail pictures..... what does the bridle attach to? Keels?

I would disagree with  ara said....I like the look of the solid back...

Very reminiscent of a pair of docked sport kites....

Well done...well done...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 04:22 AM »

Very cool...I would love to see some detail pictures..... what does the bridle attach to? Keels?

It looks like the centre is two triangular tunnels (sort of like a double dunton taylor), and the bridles attach to each keel front.  Is that how you have it Anthony?

Me too, I think the solid centre looks just right.  Nice job

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
ghfisanotti

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:12 AM »

It looks great! congratulations! it seems like a SLK i'd like to own.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:32 AM »

Hi,

OK, ok, that's two against one...  Sad  ->  Wink

Perhaps I didn't explain it well. I would leave the solid back but split the box in the front. It's just a matter of circulating air...
There is more opportunity for air to enter the box and therefore generate more lift.
But perhaps some aerodynamics expert would still argue against this...

In any case, not only are the looks great as it is, but it seems to fly really nicely. I was just proposing a possible efficiency enhancement.

Cheers,

N.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:33 AM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 06:15 AM »

That is a cool looking kite and I think the panel design looks great. Sometimes the best designs are the simplest. I like the color selection as well. It pulls the eye towards the middle and top of the kite making it look larger than an already considerable 10 feet.

How do you determine where the bridle points go?

I bet it pulls pretty good when you get it into some open wind.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 06:50 AM »

Great looking kite.

When are you going into production  Grin
thief

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 07:35 AM »

Great looking kite.

When are you going into production  Grin
I agree...just replace the red with a good purple and i would take one now...the design is a neat one....

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 02:57 PM »

Looks great Anthony

Adding lift logically sounds like a good thing, but it isn't always. Adding lift to the rear of the kite by opening the keel could introduce some instability, as designed the triangular keel acts like a deep V Boat bottom cutting through the choppy air (air is a liquid like water) and increasing straight line stability. The keel is very reminiscent of a Dunton Taylor and they aren't called Rocket Kites for nothing, they'll nearly always win reel out contests and fly at very high angles. I might also detect a bit of influence from the Dan Leigh Little Bear Delta in the shape of the delta wings. Good company to keep on both counts.

But then Ara I've built a Double Delta Conyne which was simply two kites sharing the keel spars, although unlike Anthony's the kites were spaced apart from each other the same distance as the break in a single keel, it was rock steady so I may be full of hot air above.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 03:08 PM »

i know that this one pulls like a truck:

info here on Kevin Shannon's website

Ca Ike

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 04:12 PM »

Excellent Ca Ike!!!

It is really beautiful!  Smiley   Smiley   Smiley
I want one!   Tongue

One comment. Since its underlying design is based on a box kite, I think it would be good to have the box split into three parts with top and bottom having the box structure and the middle one "missing"; i.e. have a central hole.
The reason is that this is what makes box kites have greater lift strength.
What do you think?

Apart from that, are you going to make the plans public for others to build one   Grin   Tongue

Cheers,

N.
  From what I found it doesn't affect lift much at all but makes a big difference on pull because of the difference in sail area.  THe open sections of standard box kites can introduces turbulence and act like a vent reducing pull as well as affecting flight angle.  The advantage of the separate sections is the kite will self adjust to different wind speed by changing AOA.  THe same fill affect of open sections can be done by vent holes in the bottom panels if you need to get more air into the center

It looks like the centre is two triangular tunnels (sort of like a double dunton taylor), and the bridles attach to each keel front.  Is that how you have it Anthony?

Me too, I think the solid centre looks just right.  Nice job

The keel is a 4 sided trapezoid shape with the bottom spars outside instead of inside the box giving similar lift and stability characteristics to sled kites (and getting the airplane fuselage look I wanted too:) )

Looks great Anthony

Adding lift logically sounds like a good thing, but it isn't always. Adding lift to the rear of the kite by opening the keel could introduce some instability, as designed the triangular keel acts like a deep V Boat bottom cutting through the choppy air (air is a liquid like water) and increasing straight line stability. The keel is very reminiscent of a Dunton Taylor and they aren't called Rocket Kites for nothing, they'll nearly always win reel out contests and fly at very high angles. I might also detect a bit of influence from the Dan Leigh Little Bear Delta in the shape of the delta wings. Good company to keep on both counts.

But then Ara I've built a Double Delta Conyne which was simply two kites sharing the keel spars, although unlike Anthony's the kites were spaced apart from each other the same distance as the break in a single keel, it was rock steady so I may be full of hot air above.

YOur partly right MIke.  THe triangle box keel is inherently unstable on its own and can warp unevenly (why conynes love to dive to one side in gusty winds and don't recover easily) so the wings have to provide a lot of the stability.  Adding lift to the rear changes the AoA and if too much lift is added you get a really unstable lift coefficient that affected by even the smallest bump in the wind due to skimming on top instead of cutting through the wind.  Its not an easy balance.

I have some minor changes to make for build reasons and need to get one built thats not "Quilted" with so many patched in pieces and crooked lines.  I must have cut and changed the keel dimensions 10 times to get the right balance. Once that is done I'll decide what I'm going to do with the design.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 04:18 PM »

Anyone have a link to the Venturi order page?
How about a colorizer?
what's the wind range rated at?
is there an ul model?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sine Metu!
Ca Ike

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 04:22 PM »

THanks for the compliments guys Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document