GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My own concoction  (Read 5478 times)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 04:49 PM »

What is the frame?  Come on man spill the details!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 01:05 AM »

What is the frame?  Come on man spill the details!!!!

WHen I complete the first production quality build I will post the specs and better pics.  I just used 3/8 wood in the proto and fabric shop uncoated RSN just to stay cheap and test the design.  Obviously a better frame and better cloth will change the wind range and lift power.  Even with the low grade heavy nylon  and high flex test frame I snapped 150# dacron line in the 10-12 mph winds I had in the vid with the tail.
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 02:18 PM »

Wow! This has been a great kite design and aerodynamics lesson!
It's great.
Thanks for commenting on my suggestion in such a serious and scientific way.
It is really great being able to learn from you all.
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Ca Ike

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14 AM »

There is a bit of an issue getting the cloth I want to use and a couple other things I have to do before I can actually start making these.  IN the mean time I've been playing around with different color schemes.  It was suggested I use a bit more white so here's what I Came up with for options.  OPinions?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 12:47 AM »

White central tunnel.

That key feature needs emphasis.

After that, it's all good.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 02:17 AM »

Stick with what you did originally.  Black tunnel, black leading edges, then colour, then grey , then white.  This will "pop" best in all skies - cloud or no cloud

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
thief

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 03:47 AM »

Stick with what you did originally.  Black tunnel, black leading edges, then colour, then grey , then white.  This will "pop" best in all skies - cloud or no cloud
Smiley !!!

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50 AM »

+1

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
thief

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 04:03 AM »

I was watching the video with the tail again....well done...

so..what is the framing of the wings in the prototype?   It looks like the wings are flexing backwards quite a bit in that wind...if they are you might want to (and might want to anyway due to the size of this kite) bump the framing up to a .2560 or so.....

i finally realized one of the reasons i am drawn to this kite: its silhouette is reminiscent of the BMK Ichiban.....

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 04:41 AM »

Just my 2C. I love your original design, but keep experimenting. I think you'll discover something you like just as much or more. I would be really interested if you started experimenting with curved sail pieces, like on other sport kites. BTW, I like the white tunnel and white tips with the purple and grey.

I think other people have mentioned, but I would be seriously interested in buying one of these when you get there.

BTW, what strength line did you use to fly it? It looked like 500# on the video.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:48 AM by Tmadz » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 05:00 AM »

so..what is the framing of the wings in the prototype?   It looks like the wings are flexing backwards quite a bit in that wind...if they are you might want to (and might want to anyway due to the size of this kite) bump the framing up to a .2560 or so.....

i finally realized one of the reasons i am drawn to this kite: its silhouette is reminiscent of the BMK Ichiban.....
I have elements from a lot of places in the design.  Its hard to design something without being influenced by what other have done already. I actually started this with a completely different graphic in mind but I kept coming back to this same layout.  I've always likes the simple elegance of Kens layouts and a lot of what joel shultz has done so to say those two don't come through in my ideas would be a bit like saying Einstine doesn't influence other physicists.

As for the prototype, it does have a bit of cant to the wings in the design, butI just used wood dowels I had laying around so it had a lot of flex to it.  Its better with carbon rods but still has enough flex to survive 20-25 gusty winds.  The winds in the vid with the tail were average 17-20 with gust over 25.  Got to love storm front winds.

Just my 2C. I love your original design, but keep experimenting. I think you'll discover something you like just as much or more. I would be really interested if you started experimenting with curved sail pieces, like on other sport kites. BTW, I like the white tunnel and white tips with the purple and grey.

I think other people have mentioned, but I would be seriously interested in buying one of these when you get there.

BTW, what strength line did you use to fly it? It looked like 500# on the video.
IT was actually 200# line and I can tell ya it was singing pretty good.
martijn
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 05:14 AM »

Smiley !!!

+2 Smiley!
thief

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 08:43 AM »

I have elements from a lot of places in the design.  Its hard to design something without being influenced by what other have done already. I actually started this with a completely different graphic in mind but I kept coming back to this same layout.  I've always likes the simple elegance of Kens layouts and a lot of what joel shultz has done so to say those two don't come through in my ideas would be a bit like saying Einstine doesn't influence other physicists.

As for the prototype, it does have a bit of cant to the wings in the design, butI just used wood dowels I had laying around so it had a lot of flex to it.  Its better with carbon rods but still has enough flex to survive 20-25 gusty winds.  The winds in the vid with the tail were average 17-20 with gust over 25.  Got to love storm front winds.

ahh..
i forgot that you had said it was wood...
dang that was a bit of wind too.

still want to see the side view of the keels!

designs always subtly influence new designs...sometimes they they outright influence designs too...and that is part of the process...take ideas you learn from other sources and make your own....Last fall I had Robert Brasington stay with me for a few days and we put on a two day workshop.....some of the participants wanted to take the templates that he made for the kites so they could make more.   He agreed as the templates were quite worn out, but pointed out that it is fine for people to make more of the same kite but what he expected was for them to take the designs that they made and use them to further each person's own ideas.....it was wonderful to hear...

I look forward to seeing what other designs you have come with as well!

kwwilson

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 09:15 PM »

Great looking. Good job! kw
Fore Check

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 03:42 AM »

Cool

Great stuff - looks great!  I imagine you will see a very notice-able increase in performance with coated kite cloth and a carbon (or wrapped carbon) frame.

*Love* drawing up and building my own stuff!  Careful - it's quite addictive...   Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change