GWTW Forum
September 03, 2014, 12:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traumatized!  (Read 1984 times)
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 08:37 AM »

You've gotten a lot of advice about the wind and such, but let me add one thing.  I live right down the road from Seaside, on LBI.  The wind on Saturday was a ballistic NE wind, and only increased as the day wore on.  I don't care what the weather sites or news said - on the beach it was cranking.

You'll often find that local conditions doggedly refuse to comply with what the meteorologists "say it's supposed to be", particularly along the shore.  Let your own senses and experience tell you what happening in the air around you, not some expert who is nowhere near the beach you're standing on.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:25 AM by RonG » Logged
bryan beasley

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 10:59 AM »

Disrespectin' sandals... 's not right you know, and me trousers keep falling down without a belt. ;-)

Bryan
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 12:08 PM »

I'm thinking that when you had trouble getting the kite in the air, the bridle may have been accidentally wrapped under one of the spars. I've done that more than once... That would explain why it returned to normal all on it's own the next time you were out.
~Rob.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39 PM »

I used you as my style guide  Undecided

As punishment, You and Snooky must fly a pairs routine, don't let her show you up  Cheesy

Style is a function of necessity and when your so full of &%#* as a lot of kids these days are you need the baggy pants to carry the extra load and the oversized untucked shirt to hide the stains that seep through Tongue  Socks with sandals though MAJOR FAUX PAX lol  Its bare feet in the grass at my field , unles there are too many dog bombs  Lips sealed

I'll take that punishment though I can use a good pairs coach Tongue
temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 06:04 PM »

WHy the hate on jersey shore. SHESH you need to watch it then. What a great show and i cant wait ever week for it to come out.  As i live on the jersey shore, it makes me smile and laugh hard.

IF you saw me in triathlon cloths you would kill me lol
KSC

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 06:51 PM »

@WD: So, basically what you're saying is I should try to look more like a professional poker player, and not so much a novice kite flyer? lol

That Chuck e Cheese looks like it might be as dangerous as Seaside Heights...  Wink (salad 'bars' scare me more than armed drunken youths after dark)

Haha! Oh man, I guess it's inevitable that my next thread be titled "Hospitalized!" no matter what I do!   Cheesy

Seriously, though, you bring up a great point about self consciousness and being around people. It's definitely a distraction. I'm never fully immersed in the flying as I always have one eye on anyone who may be wandering into my window. The best experience I had was the very first time at Sandy Hook where I had a full beach to myself. Unfortunately, the coming of summer is only going to make this worse. I'm thinking come fall I'll be in my true glory.

@Rob: That's a real possibility. I do make it a point to check everything before launching, but I totally could have missed this. The only thing that's bothering me was the second fail at Seaside. Anthony mentioned circular winds and being by the boardwalk, but I was way past the boards. What about Dunes, though? Could they possibly cause the same kinds of turbulence? At both Smith Point and Seaside, the beach was literally 100' or so from Dunes to water. At both places I actually ended up standing in the ocean as I had run out of beach to fly on. Are most beaches like this? If so, Sandy Hook has totally spoiled me. There must be a 1/4 mile of sand before you even get near the water there.

@Ron: Yeah, I'm finding that out as I go. Most of the weather sites are pretty sketchy at best. The only place I've found to be pretty spot on is this, but I can't actually find stations for any places closer to home.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:59 PM by KSC » Logged
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 07:23 PM »

@WD: So, basically what you're saying is I should try to look more like a professional poker player

Cool 

WinterDaze AoF
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 08:32 PM »

One of the best sites I find to get good wind info from is this place  http://www.windalert.com/#search .  It gets its info directly from weather stations in your area and they are working on virtual stations based on pattern data for areas without metering stations.  Most are updated every 30 min depending on the particular meter station set up.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 04:19 AM »

I have the wind alert app on my phone. Problem seems to be that my stations don't update as often. I found that their wind forecasts have been relatively accurate.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 04:53 AM »

@Rob: That's a real possibility. I do make it a point to check everything before launching, but I totally could have missed this. The only thing that's bothering me was the second fail at Seaside. Anthony mentioned circular winds and being by the boardwalk, but I was way past the boards. What about Dunes, though? Could they possibly cause the same kinds of turbulence? At both Smith Point and Seaside, the beach was literally 100' or so from Dunes to water. At both places I actually ended up standing in the ocean as I had run out of beach to fly on. Are most beaches like this? If so, Sandy Hook has totally spoiled me. There must be a 1/4 mile of sand before you even get near the water there.
I'm telling you, I still do it after years of flying. Having the bridle accidentally wrapped is real easy to do when you're in a rush to get some air. It really screws up the way the kite flies. I have no problem flying against dunes or the cliffs we have here on the north shore, as long as it's not an offshore breeze. If the wind hits the dunes before the kite, all bets are off. What really messes up the wind is flying on top of a hill, though. I have seen the most bizarre behavior when the kite gets caught in an updraft, but that's more entertaining than frustrating.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document