GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 06:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grrrr-Frustrating winds  (Read 780 times)
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: May 19, 2012, 01:32 PM »

What do you do when you have wind that can't figure out what it wants to be?  Angry Do you experienced fliers have back up plans for such posibilities?

I'm calling it Sybil wind.  Gusts then dies; shifts the window back and forth 100 degrees; you can feel it on the ground, but can't get your kite above 20 feet. Arrrgh! so frustrating!!

Blah blah blah... you'll be a better flier. Blah blah blah...learn to adjust to the conditions. I know, but that doesn't make it feel better when you're out there tearing your hair out.

I thought I was resigned to practicing stalls all over the window, then it ramps up and starts pulling like a beast. Finally gave up (after 1.5 hours)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 03:13 PM »

You might try flying on shorter lines.

This will allow you to swing the kite around more quickly

when the wind changes direction.

Still annoying, but shifting wind is better than no wind,

unless you're flying a glider (Manta, Skate, Chiroptera, etc).

Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 06:03 PM »

I put up a single line light hata fighter with a tail to use as a wind sock and target. If it stays up I know there 's enough wind to fly and which direction. When the winds or lack of are quite variable it may mean the winds are in transition and you may have to wait a short time for it to settle down. In no wind it's time for me to get out my Hyrid 200 glider kite. There will be some days that totally suck, but I try anyway because I don' have a life and kite flying sure beats doing nothing at all Smiley
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 04:37 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to get more line sets and kites. Lord knows I have a long wish list.

After reflection (and cooling down), I did learn a lot. I made a step forward yesterday.

I did go back out late afternoon and fly in some gusty winds that were somewhat stable for peace of mind.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:40 AM by Tmadz » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:51 PM »

My back up plan?  Grab munchies toss up an SLK and wait a bit.  If I'm in a sadistic mood I do launch and slides playing with the wind.  Eventually you will learn how to use the wind you have and read the sky to know what type of wind to expect, but that takes time.  Being inland there will be times when you just have to pack up and call it a day.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:55 PM »

The factor that was killing me today was the wind was aligned with the sun8)

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change