GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 01:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynamic 18 replacement?  (Read 1027 times)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: May 20, 2012, 09:35 AM »

Broke the ULE of my vented Silver Fox, a Dynamic 18 spar. As I'm based in the UK, I know of no UK/EU source of these spars, so can anyone recommend the best (Skyshark?) replacement?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:19 AM by Dromel » Logged

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:32 AM »

5pt or 7pt should work fine.
Flying Fish

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:35 AM »

But the Dynamic spar from the SF is not tapered, it's a straight Dynamic 18 spar (not a T18). Would you still replace it with a tapered spar?

Ca Ike

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:43 AM »

I was thinking it was tapered.  in that case p-300 (17g)or p-400(18.5g) if you want to try and stay close  to the weight. P-200 might be too light
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 10:24 PM »

Note skyshark rods use .240 inch ferrules. Dynamic spars ferrels are a little larger. They don't match up well.

Skyshark rods will not fit on Dynamic ferrels and Skyshark ferrels have a loose fit on Dynamic rods.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:55 PM by Wayner » Logged
Flying Fish

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 11:49 PM »

I was afraid the internal ferrules might cause a problem .... so maybe I should start thinking of a complete LE replacement with P300, and keep the undamaged Dynamic 18 spars from the LEs as spares for the spreaders ....

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:00 AM »

My suggestion is to use a Skyshark Nitro spar on both sides of the kite in the the upper leading edge.  The Nitros take a larger ferrule than the P series Skyshark rods (I've never attempted this switch, but it may be a good swap).  The nitro is a tapered spar, but it's pretty stiff.  I know a lot of larger kites utilize Nitro and Nitro Strong in the leading edges. 
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 01:15 AM »

My suggestion is to use a Skyshark Nitro spar on both sides of the kite in the the upper leading edge.  The Nitros take a larger ferrule than the P series Skyshark rods (I've never attempted this switch, but it may be a good swap).  The nitro is a tapered spar, but it's pretty stiff.  I know a lot of larger kites utilize Nitro and Nitro Strong in the leading edges. 

Going from straight to tapered will change the balance of the kite and between the D18 and nitro thats a lot of mass moving to the middle of the LE.  It could  really affect pitch fade and turtle.
Flying Fish

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 01:44 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Just exploring all options, but if I am looking at a complete LE reframe, which might involve different end nocks, spreader connectors, etc, the difference in cost with getting Dynamic 18 spars (one to replace, a few more as spares) from the US isn't that great anymore .... Any suggestions as to where I could get Dynamic 18 spars in the US?

Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:53 AM »

Steve can get you the parts from his FW contacts but dynamic spars aren't really used here and usually gotten through an FW dealer.  YOu can always call Jon and see if he has any Blem p-300.  I get 10+ packs that way from time to time when I need a lot of spars for projects.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 10:13 AM »

If Steve does not have Dynamic rods, you could check with A Wind of Change. I thought I remember Gamelord saying they now carried Dyanmic rods.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 11:17 AM »

Yes, we have dynamics in stock.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document