GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 01:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian telephoto lens  (Read 1943 times)
Zeke
Trade Count: (0)
« on: May 20, 2012, 02:22 PM »

looking for some data,  approximate age, etc.. Russian made F8/500mm mirror, Nikon mount,   PN MC 3M-5CA.

It has a small symbol on the side like the Chrysler emblem, 4 'arms' inside and 'CCCP' over the 'arms'.  picked it up at a yard sale, rumored to have been used on a Nikkormat.  won't fit my D70 but with an extension tube could be used as a macro lens.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 07:51 PM »

MTO (MC) 3M-5CA 500mm F/8, a lens created by russian company LZOS following the Maksutov design from russian optical engineer Dr. Maksutov ( hence the MTO 3M-5CA getting its nickname 'Maksutov' ).

Type: (MC) 3M-5CA
Focal length: 500mm
Aperture: F/8
Weight: 620 gram
Focus mechanism: Manual
Aperture mechanism: Fixed

Product page for the lens on the LZOS site can be found here.

MSRP: $270

While it is still being sold, one site said production on the lens stopped in 2008.  Probably the only way to find out the exact age of the lens you have is by the serial number.  If paperwork was included with the lens, manufacture date or batch information might be included.

Hope that helps.

ATB,
Sam

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:56 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:19 PM »

hi zeke - why won't it fit your D70? or do you mean it won't auto focus and or the camera won't meter. There are very few f mounts that won't fit your d70
david barnby

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 01:57 PM »

interesting stuff - is either a nikon mount or is not a nikon mount. only a few (like an old nikkor fisheye) won't mate to your d70. the  mount will work but the protrusions from the lens internals at the back will damage the camera

if the mount dosent line up is not a nikon f mount and is why it only cost 5 bucks i would guess

adapters are plentiful for around 20 bucks and sure focal length will change but the only real loss is that true infinity focus will lack

but you need to know what to adapt from

interesting stuff indeed
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:00 PM by david barnby » Logged
david barnby

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 04:26 PM »

good luck with it zeke - let us know if you get a solution
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 10:44 AM »

The photos:

F8 500mm mirror

Nikon mount

that's as close as it gets....

ATB,
Sam
c2thew
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 01:07 AM »

I've owned one of these lenses before.  As others have mentioned it is a matsukov lens design which also was rebranded as "zenitar" in addition to "lzo". russians were trying to copy zeiss lenses at the time since those were held in higher esteem (and still do due to their optical coating).

The lens that I had owned was a 500 f/5.6 which is similar to your lens but larger.

these lenses typically are characterized with having bokeh donuts. For me personally, I used this type of focal length to shoot architecture and non moving objects as focusing with this lens by hand is no easy task. You will need to use live view for this lens as it is very tough to focus with the stock focusing screen. I still kind of regret selling mine.

helpful tips
1. Use a tripod
2. Use a minimum shutter speed of 1/400
3. Shoot with the sun at your back to keep contrast nice and rich.

russian mirror lenses are better than tamron or sigma lens equivalents as long as the mirrors are still aligned.

best of luck!

Crandall
Weekend hobbyist
 (wish list) rev b series, white pyro delta the 20 foot model?

http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty5
http://tinyurl.com/KiteP6
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty7
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty9
KiteParty10 (coming soon)

My Kite Bag: http://tinyurl.com/795dn9g
misterbleepy
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 11:09 PM »

Another way of using this lens would be to get a micro 4/3rds camera body (Olympus & Panasonic do these) and a Nikon to micro 4/3rds adapter - you'd end up with a lens that can focus to infinity and an equivalent 35mm focal length of 1000mm.

Micro 4/3rds cameras are a great way of using old lenses as there are many mount adapters available, and as micro 4/3rds cameras have no mirror, there is room for the adapter without causing problems with infinity focus.

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography