GWTW Forum
December 15, 2018, 01:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite storage  (Read 2890 times)
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: May 20, 2012, 02:38 PM »

I once read somewhere that kites tend to wrinkle or stay wrinkled if stored incorrectly??? Huh Huh

I recently purchased the Prism Roll-Up Bag and have been debating storing my kites all in the bag with sleeves or not. Now keep in mind I already store my kites in a nice cool,dry place in their own sleeves and flat rather than on end.

I'm just curious if anyone out there has opinions on this. Other than I may be waaaay to anal or just a flat out freak. LOL!!! Cheesy Cheesy  Tongue
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 02:48 PM »

Just my opinion.

Tight is bad, so....

Store kites vertically
Remove bands which hold sail tightly wrapped
Do NOT wrap sail around any spars
When kite is in sleeve, lightly shake sleeve to
   partially enlarge sail within sleeve
Remove tension on sail if it can be easily done,
   otherwise, leave the LE tensioned
Always slide kite in/out of bag slowly checking for snags
Kites will wrinkle to some degree when stored, just accept it.

Smiley

socalman320

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:21 PM »

Just my opinion.

Tight is bad, so....

Store kites vertically

Smiley

Outstanding point! Some things I never really thought about until recently when I bought the kite bag. Funny thing is, I've always wrapped the spars in the kite thinking that's just the way it came. Makes sense though since the spars can catch the material and tear it Shocked putting it in and removing it from some of the sleeves. I also never thought about removing the velcro straps when storing.

Thanks! Grin
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 04:50 PM »

Just my opinion.

Tight is bad, so....

Store kites vertically

Smiley

Good suggestions. The vast majority of my flying will be local anyways so what does it matter if my kites are stored loosely and not bound with the strap. Don't need it and I can pay attention to not lose the spars.
kepople

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:59 PM »

I so don't do this right...

My sails are wrapped tightly, sleeved and kept in a kite bag...
I was hanging them in the closet from hooks. I think I will go back to that then just pick what I want to fly....

Sleeves should have a separate compartment for rods. Some do, some don't.

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:54 PM »

I didn't fly my stunt kite for 10 years (golfing, motorcycle racing and single line kite flying). Plus the kite bag was stored laying down. No permanent wrinkles.  Smiley

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:02 AM »

most of my kites live in bags lying on a shelf in big bags...no worries about them...
the only kites that i have that need special care are:
  • Painted kites....
    kites by John Pollock, Scott Hampton, Steve Brock, Robert Trepanier or anyone that hand paints on the fabric....these NEED to be rolled carefully and never folded....any folds will cause the paint to flake off....
  • Super light wind kites:
    iFlites, Mini Serendipity, Siren, and other kites that have other materials as the skin should be carefully stored....my mini serendipity is made from a super thin plastic sheeting material and so it has a lexan case that it is stored in...
    iFlites are another plastic sheeting material that should be carefully rolled and stored in a tube...

icarex, polycarbonate, and nylons can and will crease, but as far as i am aware there is much less worry about the longevity due to the care....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
socalman320

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:43 PM »

Very good info. I guess I can sleep better knowing I'm not a freak! Cheesy Cheesy Grin Tongue
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 08:08 PM »

It is quite funny that I was able to check off each item that Chilese listed as things that you should not so as things that I do.

BERNIE!!!!  When do I get to see you fly again?

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
madhabitz

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 04:30 PM »

You're not going to want to store anything fiber-related items on top of raw wood or paper/cardboard.... and just to be explicit, you're not going to want to store said item inside paper or cardboard, either. lol

Acids will leech from raw wood, paper, cardboard right into the fibers of your item and eventually rot it to nothingness and it can happen pretty fast. You can buy archival "buffer" sheets and acid-free papers and boxes to store things.

Some sealed plastic containers will give off gases that aren't so good for preserving things, but I've never worried too much about it.

If you need to lay your kites on a shelf to store, then sealed/painted wood should be okay.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
socalman320

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 05:05 PM »

Cardboard?Huh? Really?Huh? Huh Huh

I've actually have them stacked on cardoard!!!!!! Embarrassed Huh Huh

Well, in their own sleeves of course.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:30 PM by socalman320 » Logged
Tmadz

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 06:11 PM »

I'm afraid to admit this, but yes there are acids from paper used in the process of manufacturing. My wife is a scrapbooker (now digital scrapbooker). There are special acid free papers to use to protect materials (all materials) from being eaten away by the acids. You should be ok using a sleeve, but prolonged direct contact is verboten.
madhabitz

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Yeah, anything made from wood fiber is going to leak acid. A bit from the manufacturing process (gotta break those fibers down, don'tcha know), but mainly acidity is just inherent to the fiber itself.

No biggie shorterm. Maybe a biggie longterm. How about just changing out your cardboard for an old sheet or blanket?

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+87)

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 06:58 PM »

I've actually been looking at those plastic deck storage containers to try to fit a bunch of kite into.  They don't seem to make them in anything over 56" long though.   Cheesy

-Mike
socalman320

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 07:00 PM »

Sigh.......only reason I even put cardboard was to fill the blanks on the slots for those friggin' wire shelves condos come with now a days. Cry

Been on cardboard for a year now Cry Cry Cry Huh Huh
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom