GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upside Down Line Setup  (Read 8895 times)
Watty
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 06:08 PM »

I held the handles normally. I had swapped the top and bottom lines on the handles, and switched hands so that I was holding the handles properly, and had no twists in the lines. I can try it, but I think if I just flip the handles over and hold at the foam, I will have the same problem, but the stress will just be above my hand instead of below.... However, if I held onto the metal part of the handles (normally below the foam) I suppose this could solve the stress problem, but I would look funny doing it.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 08:24 PM »

That makes sense that it would drastically change the balance on the handles. Rev handles were designed to balance in a hover on your index finger placed just above the foam. John's newest idea doesn't require swapping lines just rotate your handles and switch hands, so we've danced full circle here but we've still lost that natural balance and rotation point on the handles the Hadzicki's worked out.

I have a solution that will retain all the original design features AND untwist the lines so I think I've solved all the problems ....

for those that percieve twisted lines as a problem and like to fly thier Revs upside down more then rightside up ... fly standing on your head  Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 09:21 PM »

John, no disdain here, only laughter.  Grin

Nothing to offer otherwise that hasn't already been said.

*posted from my macbook - on a train - in Japan*

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 12:50 AM »

John, seeing as you are more of a dual line fellow, I think the humor part would be akin to reversing the lines on a dualie....hey I`ve tried it and it was interesting and sort of funny.......
Anyway I remember trying this quite a number of years ago with a pile of combos. ie lines.....normal/reversed/length plus handle combos regular/upside down, tc ultra/deca/homemade deca/rev types and combos of rev handles as well....small rev 2 handles guiding a rev 1...homemade deca handles guiding a 1.5 for example...not to mention the kites themselves...upright/upsidedown...revs and decas....not the tc ultra as I can hardly fly that one inverted very well at all....and also both indoor and outdoor....
There were a few times when a quasi new style of quad flying emerged but no....not really. Aside from the differences in revs and decas nothing felt natural in any reversal of lines/handles/kites, or I had to think too much (see below), and as stated previously the wrist motion was stressed in a different and tiring way (also see below). I recall the revs flipping and being bow tied a bunch...
I did however really like the upside down deca roll and unroll....  There are a few symmetrical quads....airbow/mquad/symphony come to mind..sure there`s more....
Interesting and valid experiment though....as is your query....I think it would be very cool with a quad of a very different design..there was a vid of a quasi circular clown kite rolling about which almost begged for an approach like this.
See below part....I tried this also in conjunction with my job...which is a drummer. Seeing as I`ve always tried to play upside down..no not the rotating drum kit but having my hands play what my feet would normally play and my feet play what my hands would play as an exercise, along with the ambidexterity exercises, as well as playing both right and left handed setups. This of course takes a bunch of thought but I try not to think about it. Same with flying. Also I like flying quads as it`s good for my wrists and fingers but flying reversed put an unnatural stress on them so I stopped that pretty quick. Nothing major but enough not to pursue it anymore.
bt
Slow Dog

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 08:54 AM »

It occurs to me your Noitulover M Shaped Kite with Single Trailing Edge cunningly bypasses any pesky Copyrights/Patents, and is free for you to manufacture and sell throughout the USA.

Perhaps  Wink

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 06:16 AM »

"Also I like flying quads as it`s good for my wrists and fingers but flying reversed put an unnatural stress on them so I stopped that pretty quick."

You might try pulling the bottom lines in one knot on the pigtail (add more brake). It would help straighten out the wrists if they are overextended in the inverted position. That assumes it doesn't put you in an uncomfortable wrist position for normal flight.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum