GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: line lenght  (Read 1420 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 23, 2012, 02:17 AM »

Hi
I fly with 30 meter line SD std kite
Thinking to order 40 m lenght line.
Goal for more line is little more precision flying and to  have more window between tricks.
Any expirience about this question....
Also, which lengh of the line is commen use  for competiton polyvalent flying (tricks plus precision).
thaks a lot
boris
RonG
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:36 AM »

Competition line sets vary with pilot preference, but I'd say 120-130' (so about 40 meters) is pretty common.  I've always competed on 125' when the conditions allow it, occasionally going as short as a 110' 50# line set for very light wind.

A lot of people will argue that long lines make tricks more difficult, but it has been my experience that any such difficulties are minor and temporary.  You just have to get accustomed to the extra line.  IMO the greatly increased wind window makes the adjustment well worth it.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:35 AM »

I also like the height you get with the longer length. I can start out higher and when I screw up a trick I have more room to recover from.

Bob D.
vigli

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 05:19 PM »

thanks a lot
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:08 AM »

I'm quite amazed...
I have no places to fly "close by" (<50km) that would allow for such long lines...
With my 25m lines (~82ft) I already have some trouble with some of the places I can fly in...
We don't have large beeches around here nor large parks.
So it will be difficult for me to try this.
Will I be missing anything?  Sad

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 01:56 AM »

I totally agree with Ron. I prefer longer lines as well.

40 m. 70 or 90 kg lines: STD/Strong/vented in high winds (Essence STD, Nirvana)
40 m. 55 kg lines: Larger STD kites (Vendetta, Elysium, Nirvana, Telica)
37,5 m 25 kg lines: Smaller STD kites (P2, Magnet) and larger UL kites (Vendetta SUL/UL, SIN UL)
30 m. 25 kg lines: SUL kites (Essence SUL)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:59 AM by Kareloh » Logged
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 05:10 PM »

The shorter, the better, I say.  Just long enough so the roll-ups don't knock you in the chin.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:04 PM »

I keep 3 lengths on me.  75'  100' and 125' and fly the 125's most of the time.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:39 PM »

The shorter, the better, I say.  Just long enough so the roll-ups don't knock you in the chin.

Amen! Smiley
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:41 PM »

I often fly where short lines work better and anything over 85' is just too long. Anyway, my most commonly used sets are about (leaders included) 65' light wind and 75' for standard wind. Even when I'm somewhere with lots of room I still fly the same lines.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
RonG
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 02:41 AM »

A lot of people like to fly on short lines, and I even like it with the right kite in the right situations, but let's not forget the original question wasn't "what's your favorite line length?", it was this:

Goal for more line is little more precision flying and to  have more window between tricks.
Any expirience about this question....
Also, which lengh of the line is commen use  for competiton polyvalent flying (tricks plus precision).

65, 75' feet of line isn't really going to cut it for that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:44 AM by RonG » Logged
kiteflyer
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:08 AM »

Great picture Doc Z!  Just kidding... I had the pleasure of flying with Doc Z and Sluggo on Monday and had a great time.
I just happened to be the one to take this photo. Pretty new to the stunt kite thing so not totally sure of my preferred line length. 85' for right now.
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 07:23 PM »

+1    for   what  Ron  Said     but then  he  and  Mike  Moore  were  the  gentalmen  that  told  me  110  to  125'  was  the  best  for  Comps   tricks  and   figers      with  a  bit  of freestyle  thrown  in  to  make   life  fun  but   what  do  I know  I  am just  an  old  hack

Good air always Bobby
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34 PM »

for me its the mood im in , ive flown with multiple sets hooked together , but i do wierd stuff with kites , okey that sounds bad you know what i mean , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 08:12 PM »

I seems most people missed the OP.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography