GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 10:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Flying  (Read 2781 times)
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Next to Daytona Beach? 90' lines are fine, 12mph? that's a vented breeze to me. I would just learn the 90's this year. On those low wind days, in Florida, in the summer, I'd sit in an air conditioned house until it reaches 12mph again. I'm sure you're enjoying the 90' lines for now.
sky drone
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 07:30 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys, this should keep me entertained for a while....  I appreciate it!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 07:23 AM »

Length, even in low winds is a personal preference and also related to your conditions. I know some people who prefer longer lines then they would otherwise fly when the wind is low. The longer lines give you a bigger window and allow you to get the kite up out of the slower/dirtier boundry area, the wind close to the ground has been slowed by friction and disturbed by any obstructions or even rolling elevation changes in an otherwise open area.

Myself, I prefer shorter lines even in our garbage winds, I feel disconnected from the kite on longer lines, that's just me though. I do agree with the longer line side though, you can often find flyable air up higher. But our conditions here get really strange, we will often have a dead zone up about 30 feet from the ground, you feel the wind, the kite will launch & climb then just die at 30', sometimes the wind is reversed up there and it will blow the kite toward you, better to be near the ground where you can feel the wind in those conditions. Plus I can't run a 360* to regain field on lines longer the 60', it's a long way to run to bring a kite across 250 feet of area with the wind at its back, I am 57 after all.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:25 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 08:07 AM »

Also, do you guys think the vision will pull a 48foot transition tail?   The wife loves watching the kites with the tails on them.

How did this get by Mike ?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
sky drone

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 09:18 AM »

Also, do you guys think the vision will pull a 48foot transition tail?   The wife loves watching the kites with the tails on them.

Denny

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7517.msg66326#msg66326

He answered earlier Smiley

Length, even in low winds is a personal preference and also related to your conditions. I know some people who prefer longer lines then they would otherwise fly when the wind is low. The longer lines give you a bigger window and allow you to get the kite up out of the slower/dirtier boundry area, the wind close to the ground has been slowed by friction and disturbed by any obstructions or even rolling elevation changes in an otherwise open area.

Myself, I prefer shorter lines even in our garbage winds, I feel disconnected from the kite on longer lines, that's just me though. I do agree with the longer line side though, you can often find flyable air up higher. But our conditions here get really strange, we will often have a dead zone up about 30 feet from the ground, you feel the wind, the kite will launch & climb then just die at 30', sometimes the wind is reversed up there and it will blow the kite toward you, better to be near the ground where you can feel the wind in those conditions. Plus I can't run a 360* to regain field on lines longer the 60', it's a long way to run to bring a kite across 250 feet of area with the wind at its back, I am 57 after all.

Thanks for the info Mike... I have noticed similar things here with the wind on specific days, some times its like once it gets to a certain height it just stops.  I may just grab a shorter set just to have handy and then after some good testing I'll know for sure which one I will prefer.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:25 PM by sky drone » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 10:32 AM »

Denny

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7517.msg66326#msg66326

He answered earlier Smiley

Different Mike.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 11:13 AM »

I have a couple of Visions and use them to reach newbies how to fly and do some basic tricks. 5 mph is not a problem for the kite but maybe more of a skill thing, so give it some time and you'll be working in in the recommended wind range - no problemo.

I also fly one at the beach with a 48' tail and have pulled double that with it before but only in strong wind, say 12 mph or more. I usually don't ever get it out to pull a tail unless the wind is getting past double digits and I want a change of pace for a bit.

Just use the Vision until you feel you want something else and then keep it in the bag to use a a teaching kite or pull that tail around in high wind.

The main trick to learning is to ENJOY it and everything else will come together for you.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 08:23 AM »

If you want a tail, I'd recommend 2 of the 24' Transition Tails, end to end.
The shorter tail is narrower and has less weight & drag than the 48' Transition Tail.

That's actually what I use on the Vision, 2x 24' transition. It's a small kite and that's a lot of tail for it but it'll pull it in decent wind anyway.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
sky drone

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 07:29 PM »

Cool thanks for the tips on tails!

We had some decent wind today so I got a few hours in.  Was getting about 8mph or so pretty steady and then gusts up to 20 (was a bit tricky to do tricks when it was gusty) but still had a great time.

I managed to break the "leading edge bar" or whatever that thing is called by basically landing on the wing tip at almost full speed.  The kite basically just bounced down super hard on the wing tip and then shot back up in the sky.

It still flies quiet well even with the bar a little weakened at the end (didn't notice I broke it until I was taking the kite apart).  I've emailed Steve to see if he can get me a replacement part.   Basically learned that I have to be more careful when trying to skim the beach! 
sky drone

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 07:04 PM »

Is Steve generally quick at responding?  Just figured I would of heard something back by now.  I used the email on the Chico kites website, is that the correct one? 
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 08:05 PM »

Sorry.  email sent. Although not much help.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
sky drone

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 08:18 PM »

Oh, no problem.. just making sure I had the correct contact information.  Sometimes emails float into the black hole of spam.  I appreciate your time!
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 02:30 PM »

I'm surprised at the number of guys who pull tails with the Vision.  I also pull transition tails with  the Vision.  I even hook another 50' of one inch color tail  on to it.  looks cool when it spins.  Also like Tony I have a five stack Vision train. 

Bad beginner kite.  You need a lot of wind and newbies are afraid to break kite anyway.   It moves to fast.  Small,durable,can do a few tricks.  But you have to have experience to fly her.  Even pulling tails  is not an easy take off or landing.... winds are crazy outside really high.. gusted to 57 mph yesterday...  Huh Huh Huh

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Imafloater

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 05:55 AM »

If you are in New Symrna we fly in Orlando at South Port Park by the airport.  You can usually find us there every Saturday.  We would be more than happy to have you came fly with us.  There are plenty of kites for you to try out from $30 that you can lawn dart to your hearts content to really high end stuff that just makes you wan to drool.  I you'd like kick me an e-mail with contact info and I can let you know exact times.  Regardless keep flying it only gets easier.

P.S. It sounds basic but make sure your flying lines are even or nothing good is going to happen.
sky drone

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 06:11 PM »

Thanks for the offer.  I usually don't like to drive that far, but I may take it up if I find something I absolutely really want to give a shot at flying.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography