GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 09:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Flying  (Read 3060 times)
sky drone
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: May 23, 2012, 10:19 AM »

Hello, new to the forum here and new to flying.  I've been lurking for a few weeks and doing some research but I find a lot of things are very scenario specific so I thought I'd make a post.

I think I may have made a wrong turn out of the gate as I went with a Premier Vision as my first stunt kite.  After reading a bit on here... it seems the kite is not very tricky and might give me problems.

Is this an OK kite to start with for tricking (will it do some decent tricks with ease) or am I going to be struggling to make it trick while also being new?

I'm in New Smyrna Beach, FL (next to Daytona Beach) and it seems like it is very hit or miss on days I can actually keep the vision in the air... This kite is rated to fly from 5-20mph winds... but it seems like when the winds are at 5mph I have to do a lot of walking and work to keep it in the air... it just kind of gently floats down after I get it up.   When the winds get up to about 12mph it stays in the air beautifully.  Is this something I am doing wrong or maybe just the kite doesn't fly well in low wind?  Should I look at an ultralight for days when I can only get around 5-6mph?

Is there any common advise on learning to trick with an ultralight?  Is there a high chance you could break an ultralight from crashing it too much while learning to trick?  Will most ultralights fly in 20mph winds or is it too much?

Sorry if I'm asking things that are already answered, but I did my best to do a little research before posting.  Any help is greatly appreciated!
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:36 AM »

My input is really worth only two cents, but I can give you a perspective from a newbie.

1. the low end of the wind speed range is usually the very bottom. I have had to walk my kite more than a few times when I fly. I always pay very close attention to the wind forecast when I plan on flying. I use the wind alert app on my phone or the website the days before and the day of when I plan to fly. I then have an idea of what I'm going to face.

2. I don't have an UL, but I haven't needed it yet. I fly a Quantum. A strong, solid kite that will be able to do enough for me for a while. I have heard of people going to Hypnotists because it has a wider range of skills, but there are so many good kite to choose from. My skills are limited and I haven't wanted to spend the money just yet. Maybe in the height of Summer when the winds die down I'll get an UL. The members on this forum are veritable encyclopedia of kiting knowledge and experience and they will definitely get you many more suggestions on a good kite, but I have learned that you need to test drive them because everyone's "feel", skills and technique are different for each kite.

By the way, to save your kite from lawn darting, run at it and reach out to release the tension on the line and sail. It will reduce the speed and force of impact. These folks will be able to help you more than I, but I think we're in the same boat.
sky drone

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:49 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  Some good information I'll keep in mind as well. I guess my main concern is, I want to fly every few days to get a lot of practice in, but I am not able to some days because of the light wind... just thought maybe having an ultralight and a standard might help a bit.  I can go to the beach to fly which means the wind will almost always be around a minimum of 5mph and a max of 30mph.

Edit:

Thanks for the Wind Alert app...  was actually looking for a good app like this to see wind locally.

Where is a good online shop to buy LPG lines?  Doesn't look like Chico Kites does?   I want to get some around 70-80ft.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:21 AM by sky drone » Logged
Bob D

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:08 PM »

I've found that you always have to add a few more MPH to the rated wind range. If it's for 5 at the low end, that probably means it's going to need a nice breeze to get going. Premier has some nice kites but I'm not familiar with the Vision. I have a Premier Nighthawk that's got a nice range. I probably wouldn't recommend a UL right away because you'll probably end up breaking something as you learn. And at the high end, anything over 15 and I go to the Revs because it's too hard to trick a dual.

Bob D.
sky drone

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:39 PM »

Thanks for the reply bob... that's kind of why I was thinking I would wait to get a UL, just thought i'd grab some other people's opinions.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:51 PM »

Hello, new to the forum here and new to flying.  I've been lurking for a few weeks and doing some research but I find a lot of things are very scenario specific so I thought I'd make a post.

I think I may have made a wrong turn out of the gate as I went with a Premier Vision as my first stunt kite.  After reading a bit on here... it seems the kite is not very tricky and might give me problems.

Is this an OK kite to start with for tricking (will it do some decent tricks with ease) or am I going to be struggling to make it trick while also being new?

THe vision is a great starter kite and actually quite tricky.  However being a small kite, as I'm sure you've found already, it can get fast so tricks will be a bit harder to learn.

I'm in New Smyrna Beach, FL (next to Daytona Beach) and it seems like it is very hit or miss on days I can actually keep the vision in the air... This kite is rated to fly from 5-20mph winds... but it seems like when the winds are at 5mph I have to do a lot of walking and work to keep it in the air... it just kind of gently floats down after I get it up.   When the winds get up to about 12mph it stays in the air beautifully.  Is this something I am doing wrong or maybe just the kite doesn't fly well in low wind? 
 THe low rating on most kites is the speed you can get it off the ground and do something.  You will have to adjust the kite and move to keep it up but thats all part of stunt kiting.  3 mph over minimum will let you do a lot with little movement and for the vision the sweet spot is 8-15 for a new flier and 5-20 for a seasoned flier

Should I look at an ultralight for days when I can only get around 5-6mph? Is there any common advise on learning to trick with an ultralight?  Is there a high chance you could break an ultralight from crashing it too much while learning to trick?  Will most ultralights fly in 20mph winds or is it too much?
 DOn't run out to get an ultralight.  Get a good full size standard to compliment your vision.  UL's by design are more fragile and will not handle newbie abuse well at all.  With a good full size std you should have no problem flying in 3-6 range and learning to fly a full size std and your vision in the low end of their ranges will teach you a lot more about kite and line management than you would think.  Also as a new flier you won't read the wind well and will often try to fly in lower wind than you think you have. in 5-6 mph 1/2 inch thick tree branches barely move, 3-4 leaves rustle, below 3 leaves barely move.

Sorry if I'm asking things that are already answered, but I did my best to do a little research before posting.  Any help is greatly appreciated!
The only dumb question is the one not asked
sky drone

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:21 PM »

Cool thanks for the posts guys... should I go with some shorter lines when trying to work in the low wind range (4-8mph)?

Right now the set I have are 90ft long 110lb test.  I was thinking of getting two new sets of lines if it is easier to work with shorter lines in low wind.

Was thinking about LPG 90lb @ 80ft for standard flying and then maybe another set of LPG a bit shorter maybe even lower test.  Any thoughts?

Ca Ike, what would you consider a good full size?  90 inches?  I was under the impression the bigger the kite, the more wind you need.  I guess it really just depends on the kite and how they made it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:24 PM by sky drone » Logged
sky drone

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 03:30 PM »

Also, do you guys think the vision will pull a 48foot transition tail?   The wife loves watching the kites with the tails on them.
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 03:41 PM »

if  your  looking   for  a   very  good    starter  kite  that  will grow  with  you  Look  at a  Sky burenr   freestylist   one  of  the  most  under rated  kites  of  it   time   it     is  88"     and   will fly  in  4-20    with  no   worries  and    it  has   a  UL  also     rated   2-12         the  fulls set  will  cost  you  around   300   dollars   giver  or  take     they  are  very  stable   in  flight       but  will grow  with  you  and  have  all  monder   tricks  in  them 

Good air always Bobby
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:17 PM »

Around 90" would be a good size to start with, a larger kite will usually need less wind to fly, although they are heavier they have a bigger sail area so catch the wind more efficiently. Take a look in the Swapmeet on this site, there are many really good secondhand kites there at great prices. Get a few ideas about which kites you like the look of and then ask again and the folks here will be able to guide you in the right direction.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 08:25 PM »

A 48' Transition Tail might be pushing the little Vision a bit unless you have some pretty good wind on your side.

The above rec's to look into a full size standard are right on if you have reliable winds in the 5 mph range on the beach any mid quality & above full size standard should have no problems flying in that.

I still love my Freestylists, as Bobby pointed out they have been seriously overlooked, the same build quality as every Skyburner kite only using a Nylon sail and straight rather then tapered tubes on the standard. There is absolutely nothing wrong that, they aren't downgrades but still top quality parts on a kite built by top quality craftsmen. It just allowed Jon to bring the kite out at 40% less then similar quality kites. The UL gets a Polyester sail and tapered spars at $40 more, still a bargain but gets it into the range of "Don't go super size on the next few "burger meal deals" and you can get the newer Ocius.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:12 PM »

actually if you stick to the 1.5  inch wide transition tails you can pull a 50 footer with the vision in a good solid 8mph.
sky drone

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:19 PM »

Cool thanks for all the input guys,  Still curious if it is worth getting a set of shorter lines (around 50ft) for days around 5mph?  Not even sure if flying with shorter lines helps in low wind?  haha
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 05:27 PM »

I'm making a shorter set, lower # rating lines for those lower wind days and to help me with my trick learning.
Ca Ike

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 05:37 PM »

50-65#x 50' will work for light days
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document