GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 04:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Flying Spots Google Map Proposal  (Read 1601 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 23, 2012, 10:43 AM »

Hi,

I was thinking that it would be great to create a collaborative map on "Kite Flying Spots".
I think it would be a really useful tool for people to find flying spots around them which they might have not discovered, to help people that travel and that want to take their kites with them, for newbies to find colleagues to help them start, etc.

Now, as I was thinking on how to do this, it became apparent that we must create a template of information items to include in every flying spot tag. This will ensure that we all use the same information format to keep the map consistent throughout. Otherwise some spots might be exuberantly described while others might only have the graphical tag and nothing else.

So I propose the template below as a starting point.
Please provide your input on suggestions to enhance it (add missing items or take away items which are not too useful).

Once we have the template agreed upon by all (most) of us, I can start the map and invite all who is interested in adding information to it.
I would not make it open to editing to all the world because we can get "crap" from people that think they are really "funny". So I would only do it by invitation. On the other hand, the map would indeed be open to everyone for seeing, exploring and get them interested in kite flying.

What do you all think about this?

OK, here's my first attempt at the template:

Local Name of Place: e.g. Liberty Park, Uncle Will's Meadow, Sandy Beach, ...
Type of kites to fly in this spot: SLK, Dual Lines, Quads (should we include Kite Surf, Kite buggies, etc?)
Best time of year to fly in this spot: either month range (e.g. May-Oct) or season (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter; taking into account northern/southern hemisphere)
Best time of day to fly: e.g. morning, midday, afternoon, evening, ...
Wind range: in MPH & KmPH
Main Wind Directions: e.g. NNE-NNW
Type of wind: clean, irregular, gusty, ...
Terrain conditions: e.g. smooth grass park, gently sloping mountain meadow, clean beach, indoor sports facility, etc....
Temperature range: to know how one must dress to fly in that spot...
Average Amount of Regular Pilots: to know how crowded it can get of kite pilots
Potential Dangers: e.g. beach can get crowded in good weather, electric lines close by, dogs are allowed to run around, ...
Other Comments: free to put anything else.

Imagine a world map with all this information for the main flying spots!
Isn't this a great tool?!

Regards,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:02 AM »

i would advise you to check out this site first: http://www.kitemap.org/
no need to reinvent the wheel!
There is already a spot entered that is sort of close to you:
http://www.kitemap.org/site-details?id=163&sname=Revopelaus
Good thinking!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:23 AM »

i would advise you to check out this site first: http://www.kitemap.org/
no need to reinvent the wheel!

How could I be so naive as to think that this did not already exist!!!   Roll Eyes   Embarrassed    Embarrassed
Mr. Google tricked me because my quick search did not provide any similar tool   Sad

There is already a spot entered that is sort of close to you:
http://www.kitemap.org/site-details?id=163&sname=Revopelaus

Well, there are many places much, much closer.
I guess I should be inputting them in this server.
Moreover those guys seem to be "on the dark side"...

Good thinking!

Good ideas are worthless when they are not the first...    :'(

Sorry everyone! False alarm.   Embarrassed   Lips sealed
Please disregard my ingenuity.   Lips sealed

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:43 AM »

Well, it was good to bring it up and someone spread the word. I didn't know it existed. Maybe worth a sticky? I added my nearest favorite field, but I have 3 others to add. The website is pretty spartan right now for my neck of the woods, but I'm sure the coasts have many more input already.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:25 PM »

yes..as this was started by the Kitelife team there probably is a quad line twist to some of the sites...
i added in a couple of my local spots...

iirc the site was started a long while back, and then there were issues with it and it got reintroduced quietly a couple of months back....

Good ideas always have worth!   you might have imagined something a little different and be able to offer advice to tweak it and add in other good things...

r

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:29 PM »

Kitmap is a great tool.  its still young yet and mostly us sites so hop on and add to it.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 02:13 PM »

Kite map does have a good array so far:
164 kite flying sites found covering 55 states/provinces, across 21 countries

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:54 PM »

I got an email from kitemap.com recently asking if any of my sites needed updating. Pretty slick.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 06:30 PM »

Yeah, John B is making an effort to keep it up to date, I got the same mail. And during the original posting he was extremely helpfull getting the posting correct since our parks don't really have street addresses.

I'd encourage everybody to pitch in and post up their favorite areas, especially if you hold any regular events like Chico's First Sunday Fly, Ripon's Second Sunday Fly and Clear Lake's Third Sunday Fly in our area. Get those events up on the Gone With The Wind Forum Calender too, I think any body posting in this events section has a button on the bottom to link the post to the calendar. The AKA also has a nice calendar available to all that is even more active then GWTW's. Get your event out there, don't pass up a bit of free publicity.

(Just gotta figure out how to get the Google Bot's to find the GWTW Calendar so it'll come up on a search)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:46 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 02:54 PM »

Thanks to all for adding their favorite flying spots!

For the record though, while much of the Kitelife staff favors quad, we all fly dual line as well... But regardless, the flying locations listed this far are user-submitted and should generally be "universal" or have descriptions to the contrary.

We happily take suggestions as well, both Andy or I can be reached via the KiteMap contact page. Wink

And I'll bite... What is a "quad line twist"? <grin>

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
madhabitz

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 03:33 PM »

I love the idea of this site and have a few parks to add.... but how do I measure how big they are?

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Tmadz

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 06:01 PM »

You'll have to guess or just call your park district. I called mine and they told me exactly how big the parks were.
madhabitz

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 09:57 PM »

You'll have to guess or just call your park district. I called mine and they told me exactly how big the parks were.

Thanks for the input!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 11:13 PM »

zoom in on google maps, there's a distance bar at the bottom left, at full zoom it goes down to 20 feet. I just made an educated guess using that, nobody is going to go measure your field to see if you are off by 20-30 feet (I hope).

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
madhabitz

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 11:18 PM »

Thanks Mike-- saw that, but wasn't sure if guestimates were okay.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum