GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 03:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm in loooove, Ooooooooh, I'm a believer...  (Read 652 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 27, 2012, 03:01 PM »

... I couldn't leave her if I tried.

Last week I "kind" of flew my new Talon UL for the first time: the wind was gusty and a bit too strong for a UL so I just did the premier flight for a couple of minutes and packed up because I didn't want to break it. Nonetheless, I found it smooth and nice.

Today the wind was absolute minimum (*sigh*  Roll Eyes  ) so I had to row like crazy to keep it in the air. Nevertheless, the Talon UL performed really smoothly and really tried its best to fly   Wink

At some point (and for only like 15-20 minutes) the wind went up just a tiny bit, but sufficient to make it fly without so much effort on my part.
Wooooow I couldn't believe it.
It flies sooo smooth.
I have for the first time managed to do several flat axels. Reaaaally nice.
But not happy with that, I breathed deeply and I managed to do a double Axel! Yes! Two complete flat 360 turns chained!   Cheesy
And I did it three or four times!  Cool

Half axels are also so beautifully drawn by the Talon UL.
I also started to practice the two point landing. Still really bad but it was my first day and wind was not helping much.

So I'm in LOVE!   Kiss

The only thing that worries me a little is that I couldn't get it to fade. I make it dive, it flares OK, but when I pull back to make it turn into the fade it just doesn't want to...
It either stays flared or it dips down.  Sad
With my Soul I usually have no trouble getting it into a fade; the problem with the Soul is maintaining the fade, but it enters it easily.
So I guess the Talon UL needs a different input which I probably still need to discover.

I'll keep trying... tomorrow! Yes! It's a bank holiday here in my region   Grin
Cheers,

N.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:04 PM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Hadge

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 04:00 PM »

Good to hear that you are liking it!

I'm guessing that the Nexus isn't seeing much air time these days? You could turn it into one of these - I did this to my old HQ Jive to use when the wind gets strong. Wink

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 04:47 PM »

congratulations on your new found love!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 11:07 PM »

Good to hear that you are liking it!

I'm guessing that the Nexus isn't seeing much air time these days? You could turn it into one of these - I did this to my old HQ Jive to use when the wind gets strong. Wink

Wow! Did you "call" John Wayne to do that?!   Wink

Thanks for the suggestion. However, and despite the fact that you are completely right about my Nexus, I think I will keep it as it is to lend it to my family in case anyone asks me to try one of the kites. Abosolutely no touching the other two...  Wink

Also in case I travel somewhere I can't take the larger ones.

Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:51 AM »

any day my talon ul comes out of the bag, is a good day. it's a fantastic kite.

for the flare to fade, you might find greater success with less flare before the fade, so not letting the spine go parallel with the ground.

Fdeli
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:42 AM »

Thanks fidelio.

I went flying the Talon UL again this morning (low wind but sufficient) and without having read your suggestion yet I did try to give much less flare to the kite before pulling it to the fade and I managed to do it!!

Yes, it needs almost no flare. It is like only giving a hint of flare and then pulling hard and suddenly.

Now, what occurred some of the times I did it was that, on pulling the kite into the fade I pulled way too hard and then the kite rolled up in the lines... !  Shocked
i.e. from the almost vertical pointing down position, it rolled 360 backwards... and then I didn't know what to do! Ah!  Huh
So I pulled again and unrolled the kite but then the exit of all this was already really close to the ground. Hence I had to really turn the kite hard not to hit the ground.

What's the name of this trick? From what I have seen it is neither an upward nor a downward starting Yo-yo...
And how is it meant to be finished or exited?

In any case, I'm really discovering new things with the Talon UL. It is really great to fly.

I also managed to make two rising fades starting from a flared position on the floor. Wow! The feeling is great!  Cheesy    Cool
It is really a Zen experience. Seeing how the kite gently goes from the floor to the fade and then by gently pulling it starts to rise more and more slowly but surely.  Tongue

Again... I'm in love...

N.

In my bag...
ghfisanotti

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:44 AM »

Now, what occurred some of the times I did it was that, on pulling the kite into the fade I pulled way too hard and then the kite rolled up in the lines... !  Shocked
i.e. from the almost vertical pointing down position, it rolled 360 backwards... and then I didn't know what to do! Ah!  Huh
So I pulled again and unrolled the kite but then the exit of all this was already really close to the ground. Hence I had to really turn the kite hard not to hit the ground.

What's the name of this trick?

I guess that would be a "yo-fade"? very difficult trick to do....

On the flare-to-fade problem, I've never flown a Talon, but I've experienced that same difficulty on almost every UL kite that I tried. Don't know why, but it seems to be a characteristic of many ULs.
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 01:03 PM »

You'll find the UL has a dead spot in the flare if you let it go too horizontal or nose up.
The throw is quite short to enter the flare as well (even on the std)

you'll have a std soon... then a sul... and maybe a vent lol

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document