GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 07:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sport Kite Team.  (Read 916 times)
jecko
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 23, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Hi all,

My friends and I are currently forming a sport kite team (dual), was wondering if anyone here who had exprienced flying in a team could give some tips to us like:

1) the Dos and Donts in team flying.
2) Trainings and flying style.
3) routine sequences
4) Preparation for competition.

Any help is greatly appriciated. Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:41 PM »

From Kitelife.com - Team Basics by Bert Tanaka

From the AKA - Team Flying Manual by forum member Troy Gunn & Jerry Hershey

Also from the AKA a very partial download of Ron Reichs book  "Kite Precision" and another short article by Ron Reich Choreographed Pairs (See Ron Reich below for more)

Jeff McCown of the Windjunkies wrote up a nice 3 part article for Ken at Blue Moon Kites, sadly it's offline now, If you can't get it through Ken or Jeff I have a copy I can email you. I see it may have also been published by the AKA but only find part 3 available here

Ron Reich had also posted most of his book "Kite Precision" on Microsoft Office Live, sadly it's also  taken offline now, I don't know if he has migrated it to the new Skydrive and I have no idea how to search for it, his blog hasn't been updated with a new link. If your not a historian Ron was the choreographer for the Flight Squadron, Top of the Line's kite team and one of the writers of what team kite ballet would be in the beginning of the sport. Again if you can't find it through Ron I have a copy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:15 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RonG
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:20 AM »

I'll just say that it's not an easy thing - both from the flying side and the personal. And the difficulty grows exponentially with each additional team member added. I've only competed in team a bit, but competed in pairs for a long, long time and even that presents big challenges.

Make sure you're all on the same wavelength.  One guy out there to conquer the world while the other team members are just in it for laughs is not a good mix.

If you want to look good, be prepared to practice A LOT. Make sure all the team members feel this way and can commit.

Study the resources listed in the previous post - they are from some of the best. Check as many team videos on YouTube as you can so you can see the best (and the worst). I've got some old VHS tapes of Team High Performance that I wouldn't trade for anything.

And keep it simple.  A group of kites flying tight, clean precision is way more impressive than a bunch of guys attempting advanced tricks and making a general mess of things. Concentrate on getting the basics working first (close formation, dealing with backwash, the responsibilities of the leader and the tail gunner, etc.).
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:57 AM »

And keep it simple.  A group of kites flying tight, clean precision is way more impressive than a bunch of guys attempting advanced tricks and making a general mess of things. Concentrate on getting the basics working first (close formation, dealing with backwash, the responsibilities of the leader and the tail gunner, etc.).

This.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:39 AM »

+1

...and choose kites with a predictable firm pull, good precision and steady stalls rather than some trick monster. It will make things much easier to begin with.

Also put some long leaders on your lines, better to accidentally cut a leader than your lineset and if theyre pretty fat it will avoid damage to the other kite (we used about 20' of old dacron, the stretch is negligable on such a short length)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:42 AM by inewham » Logged

RonG
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:20 AM »

...and choose kites with a predictable firm pull, good precision and steady stalls rather than some trick monster. It will make things much easier to begin with.

+1 to that.

The kites of old (late '80s, early '90s) might not have been trick machines, but many were big, slow, flew straight lines well, and were very hard to knock off course with a bit of wind turbulence or kite backwash (and most pulled like tractors).

Fortunately there are kites that do a pretty good job of that today, and many are not slouches in the trick department either.  The whole "polyvalent" kite trend produced many good examples.

Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59 AM »

I'll just say that it's not an easy thing - both from the flying side and the personal. And the difficulty grows exponentially with each additional team member added. I've only competed in team a bit, but competed in pairs for a long, long time and even that presents big challenges.

Make sure you're all on the same wavelength.  One guy out there to conquer the world while the other team members are just in it for laughs is not a good mix.

Excellent advice. I flew team for over 10 years and the biggest challenge I saw with most teams was exactly this, personalities and different goals.

Bill Rogers
team 6th Sense
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 01:11 PM »

Leaders are very important, you WILL run into each other. You need to stagger your kites so the kites themselves don't collide, leaders are one method. Some teams stagger the fliers and use equal length lines, others use different length lines so the fliers can stand shoulder to shoulder. I personally like the look of a Team shoulder to shoulder, leaders can then be used to provide the staggered lengths, say 5 feet between kites, kite 1 gets 15' leaders, kite 2 gets 20 foot, kite 3 25 foot etc.

Practice is always a problem from what I've heard, I don't know of an app but once you have your music and routine if the leader can voice over the calls on the music and provide it to each member then you can get in some decent practice time alone. Sure it won't completely replace being together but it lets each member work on the routine and hone their skills when they can't all get together.

When you are flying together you'll find the weak parts in your routine, plan ahead of time for a recovery method. If the routine could fail during your signature formation how are you going to get back in line? Plan areas in the routine, maybe numbered where you can re-organize quickly then the leader calls out 5 to restart the routine at a known point. The quicker you can appear to be back in line the less obvious any mistake will be. Have a lot of points where you all meet in the center and practice those stalls so a member in trouble can catch back up.

To keep interest up in the team everybody needs an important function, hopefully your team will have varied skills and interests. If one person is the leader in every aspect you'll find interest lagging quickly in the others. One person should be the field leader and make the calls, another hopefully is interested in tuning kites and will be responsible for that, another in developing a routine. Everybody should be involved and feel they are the lead on at least one aspect of the team.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 01:23 PM »

You might find the compendium of Ron Reich's kites.tug.com postings of interest.  They can be found here:

http://www.kites.tug.com/Reich/

ATB,
Sam
jecko

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 06:53 PM »

Thank you everyone, for the advise and tips, all points taken. Smiley
Thank you for the links too.Definitely a good read before me and my friends embarked on our new kiting journey.
There is so much to learn and perfected. We have a team kite, not a trick monster but it has good precision and can do the basic tricks axel, cascades, 540s..etc. 

After a few sessions together, I realised it ain't easy. I have to change my flying style and adapt to the situation. A lots of hardwork ahead. Shocked

Thanks again guys.

Now back to practice..... Wink

Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 02:49 PM »

I also suggest having a clear sit down with the whole team to establish what your short and long term goals are... It may save some confusion and conflict down the road.

There are also lots of articles on team flying in the Kitelife archives, most written by experts on the subject. Wink

http://www.kitelife.com/?s=team+flying&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Go

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
jecko

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 06:45 PM »

I also suggest having a clear sit down with the whole team to establish what your short and long term goals are... It may save some confusion and conflict down the road.

There are also lots of articles on team flying in the Kitelife archives, most written by experts on the subject. Wink

http://www.kitelife.com/?s=team+flying&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Go

Thank you, JB.

I have been reading alot on team-flying lately from kitelife or any our main concern is practice time now.We have different off days from our day job.  Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change