GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 01:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kite life time & Prism delux bag for collapse kites  (Read 2236 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 24, 2012, 02:10 AM »

hi to all.
how many years will last one kite which is cared but offen fly? Any experience? Thx
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:44 AM by vigli » Logged
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:22 AM »

Which Kite?
In What environment you fly it?
What is your flying experience and level?
Will this be your first kite?
What kind of care you will take?

Everything is meant to wear with time, even a kite in the shelf for +10 years will wear at the rubber connectors, the shock cords, sail if stored in a humid area...

How will our friends and kite shops earn a living if kites were immortal?

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 04:01 AM »

Years.........

I have some kites in my personal bags that are over 20....

Plastic fittings may fail ..... but the rods and skin (most ripstop materials -Carrington does not) will be indefinite if kept dry.....
Skins will stretch over time and change the flight slowly....

Go fly it!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
vigli

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:43 AM »

well Im not top flyer. A lot of tricks Im  learning. .. My point was how much year can stand one kite.  I think it depense from sail material- nylon sail would stay longer then Icarex or Im wrong?
B-13

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:18 AM »

Ripstop Nylon and Poly has different characteristics and wear differently with time..but they do wear if not taken care properly.
Someone else will chime in and write +100 words on their differences Smiley Or you can browse the old posts and have some reading on this subject which has been discussed before.
As long as stored in a dry place as thief explained, they will serve you years and with time you will forget how worn out they are...
Also with time, you will have a kite bag full enough to share your flying time within your kites which will extend their lifetime as you are not flying only one (unless you do have a favorite on that you always fly)
Stored properly in their sleeves and dried completely it damp, cleaned or washed after some beach flying on the sea or on the sand, your kites will last long enough for you to have maxx fun.

Go and have fun, don't worry about them, you know you worked hard for them and as long as each fatal crash want to make you cry, that means you care for them and they will serve you years Smiley

Have fun

B

vigli

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 07:39 AM »

thanks a lot. By the way I fly moustly Lam's kites. Very clean made kites
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:12 AM »

well Im not top flyer. A lot of tricks Im  learning. .. My point was how much year can stand one kite.  I think it depense from sail material- nylon sail would stay longer then Icarex or Im wrong?
I am not a top flyer either...i have my favorite sport kites that i like....and one of them is soooo stretched out that i need to bump the frame up about a cm in each direction! (the skin is also carrington which loses its coating over time and also stretches like a rubber band!)

WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 08:17 AM »

I've worn out the sight of a kite way earlier than the thread its made of...

2 years then get another colour  Cool
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:06 PM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
vigli

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27 AM »

I saw Prism bag in store for colapsed kites. Hard plastic. How necesery is to keep kite in it because always leading edge should be colapsed. Look very practic.
BUT  Will it wear leaing edge when open and close leading edge with time? So bag is practic but wear Leaděng edge in colapse point is price? Do you use it?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:34 AM by vigli » Logged
B-13

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 09:40 AM »

I have the new HQ Proline bag. All my kites are stored with leading edges assembled in in their sleeves. The long ones.
This is more "bulky" if you travel a lot but keeps the kite partly assembled and less folds when packing up.
Don't worry much my friend, if you are serious about this sport, you will soon get more kites and a bag will be a must Smiley

For now if you don't have much kites, take your time to fold them with minimum creases, leaving some good gap between the upper and lower leading edges so that the pocket has less stress. Lower to upper, then to spine and carefully wrap the sail. Not around the spine but on it part (left on left and right on right)

B

Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 09:45 AM »

I have that Prism hard case, but I've found that many of my dualies don't fold down small enough to fit in it.  Off the top of my head, I can only think of the Zephyr, QPro and Exile squeezing in.  Sad, because I'd like to take that case on scooter rides down to the field. 

I've had kites that went probably 6-7 years of heavy flying - they didn't wear out, though, just got replaced by kites I liked better.  I rarely fly on sand, so that might be one reason for the longevity.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 10:11 AM »

Will it wear leaing edge when open and close leading edge with time? So bag is practic but wear Leaděng edge in colapse point is price? Do you use it?
flat answer is yes...
you can wear out the leading edge by disassembling it each time....you will put more wear on the rod and the ferrule and on the sleeve too.....but if that is the only way you have to carry it around then go for it....everything on a kite is fixable...

kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 11:13 AM »

My .02

Prism hard case great for travel w/a few kites, kind of a pain for everyday use because you have to break them down

I have kites from the late 70's that are still fine...I personally have never had problems with connectors on kite I purchased new...previously owned kites yes, easy to replace though

The majority of my kites are stored with the leading edge connected, most of my stacks are fully assembled and stored flat in my truck

I'm not a trickster so I don't get wear from lines or flopping around on the ground

I believe my kite will out live me... watch for my wife to sell them w/my truck for $50.00

If you only have a few kites get a speed or roll up bag, to use until you need a full size bag they will store your kites with leading edge intact

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 11:55 AM »

... BUT  Will it wear leaing edge when open and close leading edge with time? ...

Yes ... but it's not really the folding that causes the wear. I have UL's that were stored folded where the spars wore through the lighter wieght leading edge material. The raw cut end of carbon spars is very sharp and abrasive.

So if you plan to store and transport your kites with the leading edge folded always seperate the leading edges inside the sleeve by 2 inches or so, that's so the fold will be about an inch from the spar ends rather then tight against them and grinding on them. You could also sand those razor sharp cut edges just a bit with some very fine sandpaper to round them off some.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:21 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 02:17 AM »

I believe my kite will out live me... watch for my wife to sell them w/my truck for $50.00

::snort::

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography